Lawnmowers

CatmanV2

Apparently I need a new one. I know nothing about them.
The lawn people have suggested that Hayter and Honda are good. They are also rather more than I want to invest on the vague promise that my crappy flymo is probably a significant part of the cause of my crappy lawn.

So cylinder mower, some kind of power (though I don't mind pushing it I'd rather the blades were powered), rear roller. 30cm ish cut. <£200?

Any thoughts, oh know-it-alls?

C

beau

We have a flymo quicksilver 46s, it's 12 years old, it's outside in the rain etc all year never in a shed or covered, it starts and works fine still, even after being untouched for years at a time...

GeoffCapes

Some flymo thing we got from Argos for about £120 with a strimmer included is a winner.

You don't need anything too fancy for the area of grass that you have.
Unless of course you really want to go overboard.

GeoffCapes

No no. That's what I *have*. Some Flymo thing bought from Argos. Apparently that Flymo thing is the problem!

C

Ahhh I see. Our Flymo is pretty good, cuts the grass, collects it, and make nice stripes in the grass once cut.
What more do you need?

GeoffCapes

I remember my parents having one as a kid. I use to volunteer to cut the grass using that!
Adjust the throttle and you'd have to hang on for dear life.

A sad ending to the lawnmower when I spilt petrol on it whist filing it up. My dad wasn't impressed with the fireball nor the scorched grass after said fireball had been extinguished.

CatmanV2

As with lots of tools - it is generally 'operator error' that is the issue rather than the apparatus itself

I'd be absolutely happy to accept that that is the case. This is apparently hacking the top off the grass as opposed to cutting it. This can be seen by the frayed and yellow tips of the grass blades. I have replaced the mower blade, which made no difference at all. I've tried sharpening the blade, but there is a large amount of it that has no edge to start with and is simply a steel section.

I've raised the cutting height and lowered it as well.
Not sure what else I can do?

C

2b1ask1

Special case
That's a bit new for my liking C, mine is a Colt but very pre-war! Paid £2 for it at auction, 45 mins changing the oil and fettling and it started second pull!!!!

Then spent £70 sorting the cut and bits. 6 years ago.

CatmanV2

That's a bit new for my liking C, mine is a Colt but very pre-war! Paid £2 for it at auction, 45 mins changing the oil and fettling and it started second pull!!!!

Then spent £70 sorting the cut and bits. 6 years ago.

Yes, but you're, well, *Newton* ;)

C

Ewan

Get a bigger lawn. Then you can use what I use:

IMG_2510.jpg

Though I can also recommend Hayter. We have small electric one and a big petrol one, both of which have given many years of great service and continue to do so. Bound to be some on EBay.