Rant Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was going through police training in the 80's, I was driving home one Friday night in July or August and in front of me on an A road was a woman driver. I was in no hurry to get home, so I sat behind her for twenty miles or so, enjoying the tunes on the radio and slowly chilling out.
I watched her paint her nails, put on make up and do everything but pay attention to the road in front.
But then the piece de resistance.
We approach a busy mini roundabout on the edge of a small town and I see her start to brush her hair with a hair brush in one hand. Just as she entered the roundabout, the other hand came up and looking in her rear view mirror she spent the time it took her to traverse the roundabout, plus another few hundred yards other other side, arranging her hair with both hands.
I was too shocked to do anything. Unfortunately we hadn't done our firearms training yet, so I wasn't carrying the personal Ruger. 357 we were issued some weeks later.
Nobody was hurt. There was no accident. I saw infinitely worse things at accident scenes a few months later, but for carelessness and a certain amount of skill, I will never forget this.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I'm enjoying life, working as a management consultant, in different countries. I had the good fortune to pick up a long term gig in Cork, leading an FDI tech start-up that originated in Stanford.
Unknown to me, Ireland (the Republic of) only 'got' roundabouts relatively recently. Many woman drivers are terrified by roundabouts. Many male drivers are completely confused by them, ignore the painted lanes and simply take the shortest route across.
Add the fact that the government's answer to chronically long waiting times for driving tests around 2005/6 ish, was to simply give any driver who had been on L plates for at least a year, their driving licence without a test. This amounted to around 250,000 drivers. They used this tactic more than once in the last decade or so.
With many new types of roads and many, many unqualified drivers, driving in Southern Ireland is never dull. Which is why I bought myself a new Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2006. Added crash protection. Whether true or not.

midlifecrisis

A couple of years back I posted on Facebook that 'before I sent my wife out to work I made breakfast for her. Unlike the woman eating Weetabix from a bowl on her lap! ' Honestly you can't make it up!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Meanwhile at our local mini roundabout....

A. MarkMas (black) arrives at MR signalling to turn right. Sees stationary cars (green & blue), and notes that there are no cars on roundabout and no cars approaching from the left.

B. After a moment MarkMas enters MR, still signalling right (actually that is a bit of a miracle in a QP).

C. MarkMas is in the MR and starts to turn right. Blue car starts to move into MR.

D. MarkMas has to stop dead, as blue car (powder blue VW Beetle) zooms into MR.

E. Blue car continues straight across MR, while the driver (a man - aha!) yells and gesticulates at me.

mini roundabout.jpg

CatmanV2

Meanwhile at our local mini roundabout....

A. MarkMas (black) arrives at MR signalling to turn right. Sees stationary cars (green & blue), and notes that there are no cars on roundabout and no cars approaching from the left.

B. After a moment MarkMas enters MR, still signalling right (actually that is a bit of a miracle in a QP).

C. MarkMas is in the MR and starts to turn right. Blue car starts to move into MR.

D. MarkMas has to stop dead, as blue car (powder blue VW Beetle) zooms into MR.

E. Blue car continues straight across MR, while the driver (a man - aha!) yells and gesticulates at me.

View attachment 45989

Clearly your fault for having a posh car.

C

MrMickS

Why does Guy Fawkes NIGHT now last a couple of weeks?

It's just lack of consideration for people with pets that are terrified by the bangs all because rules don't apply to them.

Especially true this year when, at least here, it was on a weekend and dry.

GeoffCapes

Old people in the Post Office.

Why am I always behind the old dear who is sending her Christmas cards to family and friends all over the planet and there is only one booth open!
I even let the old biddy through the door first!!!!

By the time she had finished there were 9 people in the queue behind me!

bigbob

Old people in the Post Office.

Why am I always behind the old dear who is sending her Christmas cards to family and friends all over the planet and there is only one booth open!
I even let the old biddy through the door first!!!!

By the time she had finished there were 9 people in the queue behind me!

What are you doing needing to go into a Post Office?

D Walker

People “Driving” in the overtaking lane, it’s doing my effing nut in, wouldn’t care if they were speeding, but oh no, crawl past truck @ 65 and what’s that in the distance yon 2 mile away, a truck, sit here I will as there’s no reason to pull into the driving lane, apart from the 3 mile long que behind you you myopic @#£&.......
Sorry, rant over, just stay off A19, I’m fitting RPG to the car at the weekend.......

Lozzer

People “Driving” in the overtaking lane, it’s doing my effing nut in, wouldn’t care if they were speeding, but oh no, crawl past truck @ 65 and what’s that in the distance yon 2 mile away, a truck, sit here I will as there’s no reason to pull into the driving lane, apart from the 3 mile long que behind you you myopic @#£&.......
Sorry, rant over, just stay off A19, I’m fitting RPG to the car at the weekend.......

You shouldn't be speeding......

safrane

I find the opposite almost as annoying; when you are making steady progress with the cruise on at just below an indicated 80 whilst overtaking a truck, coach, or other slower vehicle when the nutter behind approaches you at 90/100 etc and flashes you to move out of their way despite not yet past said truck.

HOWEVER the one that makes my blood boil are those who ignore the fact there is a queue off the motorway and force themselves in at the last moment making said queue even longer/slower and it nust keeps repeating..... grrrr if we all waited the queue would be much shorter and fasrer.

RSM Masser

Why do people have to “Prepare to depart?” On a packed commuter train there is always someone buried amongst the sea of scarves hats coats baggage and cramped commuters, sitting in the window seat in the middle of the carriage who feels it is necessary to stand up and start packing away his mobile office (that he set up at the start of the journey less than a hour before when the train was empty and become increasingly frustrated as other fare paying passengers increasingly encroach on his office space as they have the cheek to ask him to move his cases and coat from the seat next to him) when the train is still ten minutes from its destination.
Having finished the packing he then tries to make his way to the doors - which you moron, will NOT open until the train has STOPPED at the station.
Just get up earlier if you are that desperate to get to work

zagatoes30

I hd the opposite this morning, the office man who decided his emails were more important than others. He refused to move even though the train had been stopped for at least 5 mins and everyone else was off, in fact the next set of passengers were getting on. The person next to him who was blocked asked politely a number of times before they lost it. Office man was oblivious to it all

Status
Not open for further replies.