2013 GT Sport - FD Sport Springs Question

Dan12

Hi!

I just installed FD sport springs on my 2013 Granturismo Sport. Being located in Sweden, I was a bit worried about the fact that the springs became "loose" when the car was on a lift, which typically will result in a failed mandatory vehicle inspection here in Sweden (the argument being that the spring may come out of its position). Has anyone here had the same issue and/or made anything to rectify this? I believe that it is possible to attach a thin "helper" spring just to make sure that the spring does not become loose when the car is on a lift or in the unlikely event the car "flies in the air". I have attached an image showing the position of the top of the spring while on a lift.

best regards
Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_4773.jpg
    IMG_4773.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 68

CatmanV2

Wow. You'd have to be driving over some serious terrain to unload the suspension that much while the vehicle is on the road.

Sorry I can't help with the technical bits, though

C

Dan12

Wow. You'd have to be driving over some serious terrain to unload the suspension that much while the vehicle is on the road.

Sorry I can't help with the technical bits, though

C

True, but I am not the one making up the rules. Your car looks like it has been lowered as well, I assume it must look about the same when lifted up/fully extended?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I am surprised the spring is so loose on full suspension drop, its not just a little loose is it?!
Have you contacted FD about it?

CatmanV2

True, but I am not the one making up the rules. Your car looks like it has been lowered as well, I assume it must look about the same when lifted up/fully extended?

I don't believe mine has been lowered at all, but I am not the only owner. I confess I've never looked at the springs to see if they're loose when it's on a ramp.

C

Mr K

This is normal for FD lowering springs, and as Catman says, it's not an issue in normal driving. My car passed a number of British MoT tests with them fitted, so obviously not part of the test here.

The issue is that FD sells much shorter, firmer springs to fit to standard dampers as a way of achieving a lower, firmer set-up. It works and is nothing to worry about, but ideally, the damper should be swapped for something shorter.

You could fit a spacer or another spring, but that will reduce or eliminate the lowering.

I think you should speak to FD if you are sure your car will fail the Swedish inspection. They may offer a solution, or possibly a refund if it turns out they've shipped product to a country where it's effectively illegal to fit it.

I reverted my car to standard springs after buying it fitted with FD ones. If you haven't seen the difference in length you'll be amazed at the pictures in this thread:
http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/21301-Back-to-standard-project

I do wonder whether they could have specified the springs to be at least as long as the fully-extended damper, and a bit softer (than the FD spring, but much firmer than standard), but I'm no suspension design expert and I suspect there's a reason for the approach they've taken.