4200 stupidly cheap 10k Needs to be gone by Friday

safrane

I think you are doing the right thing.

As you are more than aware a small item could crop up costing a grand or so whilst you wait for a buyer, outweighing any extra cash you MAY realise.

Move on, move up and enjoy the memory's and the new GTS to come.

GeoffCapes

As you are more than aware a small item could crop up costing a grand or so whilst you wait for a buyer.

My thoughts exactly. And now I've driven her, it's a totally different animal to the 4200.
And it will also be another dream car I've purchased.

I like to set myself a target of a car I can aspire to.

Believe it or not I've done that with most cars I've bought.

First was and XR3i Cabriolet (I was 21)
Then an Alfa Romeo (bought a 147)
Then an Alfa 155
Then an Alfa GT
Then a Maserati
Now a Gran Turismo MC Shift
After that.... who knows.

zagatoes30

I have just been having a similar conversation with an Aston friend of mine. He wants to trade his DB7 Vantage for a newer V8 Vantage but he doesn't like the trade in deal on the table. We broke down what the difference would be if he sold it privately, would he get the price he thinks, would it cost him to fix any issues that an inspection might throw up, would he be able to find the car he wants at the price etc. and ultimately we came out with the fact he was only likely to be £2k better off but with more hassle.

We suggested to the dealer a slightly revised total deal which now seems to have got it over the line with little stress and no hassle.

bigbob

As you are more than aware a small item could crop up costing a grand or so whilst you wait for a buyer, outweighing any extra cash you MAY realise.

+1, these cars are not easy to sell. A 4.7 GranTurismo is a big step up from a 4200 and current money for them offers a lot of value. I am biased on colour and hope you enjoy it.

GeoffCapes

I have just been having a similar conversation with an Aston friend of mine. He wants to trade his DB7 Vantage for a newer V8 Vantage but he doesn't like the trade in deal on the table. We broke down what the difference would be if he sold it privately, would he get the price he thinks, would it cost him to fix any issues that an inspection might throw up, would he be able to find the car he wants at the price etc. and ultimately we came out with the fact he was only likely to be £2k better off but with more hassle.

We suggested to the dealer a slightly revised total deal which now seems to have got it over the line with little stress and no hassle.

It's a pain vs gain process. For some people they'd rather hang on for months and miss out on the car they want, and spend months looking for the right one again.
I looked for about 18 months before I found the right 4200.
I wasn't going to do that. Especially when the missus told me to buy a GT. I made the most of it before she changed her mind!

Haha!......I'll make the most of it!!
Is that what they offered you for part x or have they done the dirty on you??........Seriously, best of luck with the sale

The did the dirty. So if I can get a bit more, all well and good.

+1, these cars are not easy to sell. A 4.7 GranTurismo is a big step up from a 4200 and current money for them offers a lot of value. I am biased on colour and hope you enjoy it.

It's a small market for people who want a 4200, hence the quite sale and a very cheap price. Someone will get a lot of car for not much money.

StuartW

If you do end up part ex'ing, then so be it - you move on despite potentially losing a thousand or so. As you may remember, I tried to sell my GTS privately last year without success despite it being the cheapest MC-S available and I ended up taking a hit on the p/x but it's soon forgotten when driving it's replacement. The trader that bought mine did so in early December and has just sold it this week, it was priced in the end at £36k, so it took a while for him to sell with a warranty so it shows all of these cars can take time to sell.

GeoffCapes

If you do end up part ex'ing, then so be it - you move on despite potentially losing a thousand or so. As you may remember, I tried to sell my GTS privately last year without success despite it being the cheapest MC-S available and I ended up taking a hit on the p/x but it's soon forgotten when driving it's replacement. The trader that bought mine did so in early December and has just sold it this week, it was priced in the end at £36k, so it took a while for him to sell with a warranty so it shows all of these cars can take time to sell.

If I had the money when yours was up for sale, i would have had it like a shot. Blue or Grigio were my two choices. Although I think I prefer the blue by a small margin.

StuartW

Yours looks great, it certainly stands out as there are quite a few black ones around and you have the ADG warranty too so it's a good buy for sure - roll on Saturday!

GeoffCapes

Yours looks great, it certainly stands out as there are quite a few black ones around and you have the ADG warranty too so it's a good buy for sure - roll on Saturday!

It's also being checked out by Giallo. I spoke to Matthew yesterday and he said it looks good. And they are fixing all of the little jobs which can mount up.
Like new front suspension bushes.

So I can't wait!

Vampyrebat

Mark..........Just a thought.
Have you thought about handing it over the Richard Grace to sell for you? It will get it off your drive/garage and he would get a good price for you.

GeoffCapes

Mark..........Just a thought.
Have you thought about handing it over the Richard Grace to sell for you? It will get it off your drive/garage and he would get a good price for you.

I spoke to Dickie a little while ago, and my car has too high a mileage for what he normally sells, and because of him preping and warranty etc he said he wouldn't be able to offer me very much for it.
Which I understand completely.

StuartW

It's also being checked out by Giallo. I spoke to Matthew yesterday and he said it looks good. And they are fixing all of the little jobs which can mount up.
Like new front suspension bushes.

So I can't wait!

They did the bushes on my GTS before I collected it from Nareman plus they did the variators a year or so before that - have yours been seen to or is it outside of the engine number range?

GeoffCapes

They did the bushes on my GTS before I collected it from Nareman plus they did the variators a year or so before that - have yours been seen to or is it outside of the engine number range?

The variators haven't been done and they are in the range of engines that could have potential issues.
I'm going to get a warranty on the car to cover the potential of having to pay for that work to be done and any other bits and bobs.

Any recommendations?

StuartW

The variators haven't been done and they are in the range of engines that could have potential issues.
I'm going to get a warranty on the car to cover the potential of having to pay for that work to be done and any other bits and bobs.

Any recommendations?

I would check to see what the ADG warranty covers as that my be sufficient otherwise Warranty Wise Platinum would be the one to go for, this is what the Nuvola warranty is based around and covers just about everything

GeoffCapes

I would check to see what the ADG warranty covers as that my be sufficient otherwise Warranty Wise Platinum would be the one to go for, this is what the Nuvola warranty is based around and covers just about everything

I had a look at the ADG warranty cover. Wasn't impressed. A search on Google suggests that the company involved do all they can not to pay a claim.

Will take a look at Warranty Wise.

Wack61

Have a word with John about the best way to approach a variator problem post purchase , you want some of the car on finance for sure as it gives you a lot more leverage if something goes wrong

Having had a read of the consumer credit act I wouldn't buy a used car from a dealer without finance

CatmanV2

Warranty wise have been great for me *BUT* make sure you get a level of cover that will cover the variators. Mine were good will, which is not something you want to rely on.

C

StuartW

Alternatively, try to agree a mate's rate with Matthew now JUST IN CASE the variators need to be attended to whilst in your ownership - it can't hurt to ask?