Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stelvio review

Quote Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
    No, just don't like the way it looks so doesn't matter how good it is.......From some angles it has the look at the Lavante as well and just still have not warmed to the styling of that either. Saw one of those Bently 4x4's on the road yesterday and that us even worse...Horrid looking car. From a distanc my wife asked if it was Japanese.
    Agreed on the looks - just not my cup of tea. Applies to the class as a whole imho. A Bentayga pulled up outside my favourite deli a while ago. When the laughing & swearing faded the size & ugliness really hit between the eyes. The largely Italian customers then turned their thoughts to the Levante. Not complimentary!

Saw a Stelvio ad on various TV channels last night, CH5 and YourTV are the ones I can remember. It didn't grab me as an advert. I guess its just there to put the name, and the fact that Alfa are making an SUV, in front of people. Was nice to see the Stelvio Pass from the air and snow at the top.
    2015 Ghibli S
    2001 Alfa Romeo Spider Lusso

Previous cars
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170, Mazda RX-8, Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti, Alfasud SC 1.5, Willys MB (1942)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMickS View Post
    Saw a Stelvio ad on various TV channels last night, CH5 and YourTV are the ones I can remember. It didn't grab me as an advert. I guess its just there to put the name, and the fact that Alfa are making an SUV, in front of people. Was nice to see the Stelvio Pass from the air and snow at the top.
    Ive just seen the same advert. Im suprised they dont show any shots of the interior of the vehicle at all.

It's also a silly name for an SUV.....
    Maserless and carless 🙁
    The Maserati
    Past Maserati 3200 GT - Silver with blue leather.
    Past Italian
    Alfa 155 1.8
    Alfa 155 2.0 wide body
    Alfa GTV twin Spark
    Alfa GTV V6
    Alfa 156 Sportswagon selespeed - Pile of poo.
    Alfa GTV V6 - A lovely well sorted car.
    Alfa Brera 2.4 diesel....my love affair with Alfa ended here.
    Lancia Delta Intragle 16v
    Other
    BMW M3 CSL - Amazing car.
    BMW E46 M3
    BMW E39 M5
    BMW E30 M3
    Lotus Elise x 5
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lotus Exige x 2
    TVR T350T
    Jaguar XE R Sport

Just bought a Milano Edition 280petrol - really looking forward to it. Alfa red with black interior, arrives in late December. Deal was good, I like the car and was really taken when I saw a couple in France at Le Mans.

Can’t be any worse than the E63 with its 4 months off the road in 16 months of ownership. The Mercedes UK customer experience was also an interesting journey of denial and inflexibility. Not an experience I will repeat after 10 years and 5 new Mercs. Unfortunately (and admitted by the dealer) now a mass brand desperately hanging onto its prestige status. I was not alone with cars failing regularly.

Also means the entire stable is now Italian.
    2018 - Black & 600+ bhp
    2017 - the hilarious GTA
    2016 - King of the Vomitorium
    2015 - It's all about Health and Safety - is it turned on yet?

I see Pistonheads have a petrol Levante review on their main page today.
    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...t-driven/36957
    Peter
    06 Gransport LE - Nero Carbonio & Black
    05 4200 CC face lift - Gerigio Alfieri & Tan - Sold; Now lives in France
    03 4200 CC revised - Sebring Blue & Gray - Sold; Now regularly used as a TV car.

That's a great review and love what they say at the end about the engine and the diesel.....Glad it's a 'proper' Maserati sort of.....I don't think I'll ever like the looks but it's good read a great review of a Maserati no matter what it is.
    Maserless and carless 🙁
    The Maserati
    Past Italian
    Alfa 155 1.8
    Alfa 155 2.0 wide body
    Alfa GTV twin Spark
    Alfa GTV V6
    Other
    BMW E46 M3
    BMW E39 M5
    BMW E30 M3
    Lotus Elise x 5
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lotus Exige x 2
    TVR T350T
    Jaguar XE R Sport

After having a test drive in the petrol Levante last weekend we went for a test drive in a petrol Stelvio today.

First impressions were that its definitely not a Maserati. The general quality of the top of the dash etc doesn't match than on the Levante. Also you can tell its smaller. For someone of more than adequate proportions it was a little cramped, the steering wheel felt small in the hand, and the seat bolstered pinched a little. That said the layout of the cabin felt good, the driving position isn't as high up as the Levante but still higher than a standard car.

Moving off we were stuck behind traffic so I switched into dynamic, pulled back on the left paddle a couple of times, and pushed my right foot down. There was a pleasant enough noise, though missing cylinders, and it accelerated at a reasonable pace for a big car.

Once into driving it on the twisty roads out of the dealership I began to enjoy it. You can tell that it's lighter than the Levante, and my Ghibli, and a GT, and that really helped in the corners. By the time it was time for me to swap over with M I was throwing it into corners and powering out. There's definitely more body roll than in a saloon but it was pretty good, even if it only had the 280hp 4-cylinder engine.

At the moment we don't need an SUV, does anyone? Come time to replace the MiTo though we may look at this again. We were offered one for a day long test drive and may take them up on that in the new year. If we do I'll strap some cameras to it and do a proper review.

We did have a bit of fun in the Spider on the way over https://youtu.be/6tyWSYNmSg8
    2015 Ghibli S
    2001 Alfa Romeo Spider Lusso

Previous cars
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170, Mazda RX-8, Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti, Alfasud SC 1.5, Willys MB (1942)

SportsMaserati.com Moderator dem maser's Avatar
    I like the looks of the Stelvio.....never driven one and dont think ill own one soon.....
    I do like Alfas new cars but like you, i felt the same for the Giulias dash....little cheap compared to my 5 year old BMW at the time.....
    assetto corsa 20/75

Most know I don't like the Levante looks but the Stelvio makes the Lavante look like a super model.....Stelvio is so uninspiring looks wise...Saw one being delivered to the dealership the other day and just thought it had no Alfa style at all........But then most of these boxes are lookin the same these days. I would buy an estate....more room....and the right one will be more fun as well.
    Maserless and carless 🙁
    The Maserati
    Past Italian
    Alfa 155 1.8
    Alfa 155 2.0 wide body
    Alfa GTV twin Spark
    Alfa GTV V6
    Other
    BMW E46 M3
    BMW E39 M5
    BMW E30 M3
    Lotus Elise x 5
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lotus Exige x 2
    TVR T350T
    Jaguar XE R Sport

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast