Gran Turismo emblem

rob05170

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm wanting to change the oval maserati emblem/badge in the front bumper on my 2008 Gran Turismo. I've heard it's easier to drill these out on the 3200/4200's but can't see any advice on the Gran Turismo. Has anyone attempted this on the GT. I'm wanting to know whether the securing nut is accessible or not and am I best drilling out or not?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

allandwf

Do you mean the trident in the grille, it's on with one bolt. The 3200 doesn't have the badge, but I would think it would be a push fit. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm soon.

rob05170

I don't mean the Trident in the grille. I'm referring to the oval emblem just in front of the bonnet. It is secured on by a nut on the underside and double sticky sided tape.

DrNic

What's wrong with it? It looks fine in that picture!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moz1000

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm wanting to change the oval maserati emblem/badge in the front bumper on my 2008 Gran Turismo. I've heard it's easier to drill these out on the 3200/4200's but can't see any advice on the Gran Turismo. Has anyone attempted this on the GT. I'm wanting to know whether the securing nut is accessible or not and am I best drilling out or not?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

I've changed mine on my 2009 GTS. The old one had been polished too much and the paint on the badge was worn through.

I removed the grille and then accessed the securing nut from underneath through a hole in the polystyrene material that is within the bumper skin. I think a 9 or 10mm socket with a 1/4 in drive was what I used.

Removed the nut and use something to push the badge off the bumper. Yes, there is double sided tape holding it in place but it will give eventually.

Taking the grille off is the hardest part especially if you have front parking sensors.

Moz

rob05170

Thanks for the information Moz, really useful! What difficulties am I in for removing the grille? Thinks there's 14 screws holding it on around the edge, not sure what to encounter with the parking sensors, are they difficult to remove?

Moz1000

The screws are pretty simple just tight on access as you have to roll back the rubber surround. The sensors need the cable detaching and there's no slack in the cable. I ended up removing the sensors (small screws) from the grille before removing it.

While the grille is off, take the opportunity to give the mouth a good spruce up as well as the grille and the trident.

Moz

rob05170

Thanks for the advice Moz sounds like it's a relatively straight forward job without the agro a drilling and grinding. Will have a go this weekend. Cheers for that.

DrNic

Ha ha, if only mine was a good as the example picture I posted.
Oh I see! Was wondering what I was missing!
Could you post some pictures during the removal process? It would make a good reference post to help in the future maybe?

hoyin

Yes could you post photos of where the screws are. Or a step by step? Also where did you get the badge from? And how much? I need to do this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob05170

I bought the badge from Graypauls Maserati in Nottingham. Reasonable price of £15.50. When I manage to change the badge I will post some pictures of the procedure.

rob05170

Finally managed to change the nose badge without too much issue. Procedure I used as follows:

1. Remove the front section of the engine cover. There are around 20 torx screws to remove.

2. Next remove the rubber weather strip that sits on top of the leading edge of the bumper. There are 8 plastic popper lugs, just put your fingers under the strip either side of the lugs and give several quick tugs until they free.

3. Next remove the 7 torx screws that secure the upper leading edge of the bumper to the crossmember. Should now look like this.

IMG_20170224_130113.jpg

4. Next grab your fingers under the top leading edge of the bumper and pull upwards to create a 30mm gap. Use something suitable to wedge open this gap.

5. With a torch now look down the gap created on the underside of the badge, you will see the 7mm badge securing nut. There is a layer of foam you have to move aside.

6. Use a 7mm open ended or combination spanner to remove the nut.

7. Now to the badge, it is stuck on firmly with double sided sticky tape. Use suitable protection, masking tape, cloths etc around the badge. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to lever the badge up to break the adhesive. I used progressively larger screwdrivers as the badge started to give up it adhesion.

8. One badge removed clean off the residual adhesive. WD40 is best to remove the remaining glue.

9. Make sure the surface is spotlessly clean. I used some neat alcohol to clean the surface before affixing the new badge in place.

I didn't bother replacing the 7mm nut as the double sided tape is ultra strong. Believe me the badge doesn't need a nut as the adhesive is that strong! In any event all the other badges are only stuck on with adhesive. If the bonnet badge ever needs replacing again the process will be much easier. Hope this is of benefit to you all

CatmanV2

Nice one. For point 7 can I suggest dental floss, very strong fishing line or proper trim removal tools?

C

iainw

Thank you! Useful to know!
Nic

My procedure to do the same was -

Order badge from maserati.
Accept delivery
Get it fitted at in Independent for 35 pounds.
Much lower risk of f*ckup

safrane

Unless your trusted indi c o c k s it up like they did on mine by gouging it off with a screw driver and ruins the paint!

Still shocked that a garage with that level of experience rushed the job...an no Im not going to say who as they paid for some of the respray work.

I had only had the car a week or so.