Daly drive.

Andyk

So as the title suggests my wife is looking for a new daly drive. She is looking at the jag xe. For around £25k. I say put another £5 k to the budget. And get a Ghibli with about 30 k on the clock a slightly bigger car yes but I think a better car for the extra money. Some opinions would be great and anyone that's had both comparisons please.

I can only comment on the XE as I have one that I've done 18k in within 6 months of owning. I love it. I felt far more sporty than any of the competition and the handling is spot on. The interior is a lovely place to be compared to the competition and it's a lively thing to look at in the right spec and colour. I get comments about how pretty it is all the time which I wouldn't if I had bought a BMW, Merc or Audi. The dealer I deal with is excellent and the car has been faultless. The build quality is still not German quality but still pretty good. Hard to say if the Ghibli would be a better choice as not owned one but it's a 5 series rival where as this XE is a 3 series. I will say when I say in the Ghibli at Dick Lovetts and then got back in the XE I didn't feel short changed. If you get an R Sport version you get all the dash in stitches leather as well. If you are going diesel which is what I have go for the 190 higher powered one as the 168 I think it is felt a bit weak. I also have manual not the auto as found the auto box a little sluggish. I would also probably think the XE would be cheaper to run as a daily drive than the Ghibli.

I wanted mine to look sporty so went for the R Sport version in Italian Racing red, 19 inch Venmon Alloys and black pack grill. Everything else was standard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 52

Contigo

Sponsor
XE for sure, I drove the Diesel at the launch and loved it. Been in Andy's and seen him hustle it :D

Andyk

From behind it remember right Phil That was good fun buddy .... look forward to another ride in yours if we make Llandow happen.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Whilst a 190bhp XE might feel sporty, a 313bhp 335D is probably a bit sportier. The 8 speed Auto gearbox, in sport, is an absolute peach and the 4 wheel drive really does stick you to the road. The only downside so far are the run flat tyres, which are f*cking dreadful. BM for sure.

Andyk

Really all depends what your good lady is looking for ... Get out and drive and see what suits.

outrun

I don't think Maserati residuals are any better are they?

The petrol Ghibli residuals are much better. If I've said it once, i have a million times. If you want a Ghibli, buy a petrol one. It will do upper 20s mpg and is a much better car than the diesel. Any perceived saving on fuel will easily be regained by the residual values. Cheapest diesel in the UK, 26k, cheapest petrol 36k.

P R

The petrol Ghibli residuals are much better. If I've said it once, i have a million times. If you want a Ghibli, buy a petrol one. It will do upper 20s mpg and is a much better car than the diesel. Any perceived saving on fuel will easily be regained by the residual values. Cheapest diesel in the UK, 26k, cheapest petrol 36k.

Few things there though, the cheapest diesel Ghibli has (or had when I looked) 60k miles on. I'm guessing the cheaper petrol didn't! Also the petrol is 5k more new isn't it?

I would have loved the petrol but fuel costs meant it was a no go

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Whilst a 190bhp XE might feel sporty, a 313bhp 335D is probably a bit sportier. The 8 speed Auto gearbox, in sport, is an absolute peach and the 4 wheel drive really does stick you to the road. The only downside so far are the run flat tyres, which are f*cking dreadful. BM for sure.

Great cars, a very good friend of mine has one that I sourced for him, his is a 430D X Drive M Sport, properly quick, pretty (for a Beemer) and residuals aren't bad either. He bought with 3k on the clock and got £18k off list.

dickygrace

As you and I have discussed, just people don't like to see 25mpg on their dash, they'd rather see 35mpg even though it lost £50 in value while they were asleep.

P R

Great cars, a very good friend of mine has one that I sourced for him, his is a 430D X Drive M Sport, properly quick, pretty (for a Beemer) and residuals aren't bad either. He bought with 3k on the clock and got £18k off list.

I've never understood this. How can residuals be good yet he got £18k off list?

dickygrace

The residual is pretty good in that he paid £31k for it and 18 months and 20000 miles later it's still worth £25k.

Andyk

Probably because she wants it to be worth more than £2.50 in three years time.......

Sorry couldn't resist it....but joking aside I hope this is the car that bucks the tend for Alfa residuals...It has the looks, performance and better quality and is a drivers car but the one thing that needs to improve is the dealer network and after sales. I when I was going to the main Alfa dealers a few years back now I found them very good but they were stand alone....Now that most are under one roof with Fiat it seems to have for worse.

P R

The residual is pretty good in that he paid £31k for it and 18 months and 20000 miles later it's still worth £25k.

I see that. But that car (Aside from what your mate paid for it) has gone from £49k to £25k in 2 years.

Contigo

Sponsor
I see that. But that car (Aside from what your mate paid for it) has gone from £49k to £25k in 2 years.

That's why iy never pays to buy new, wait until it has hit that initial 20% drop in under 5k miles then pounce!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If that's real, that was probably caused by too much speed on too tight a bend.

O37

You'd think there would be a couple of rubber tracks left on the road! Unless it was parked and the EPB failed :whistle: