GS seat with homicidal tendencies!

Howard

Started up today after a week lay off and re-charge. Front seat immediately goes hard forward and won't go back, followed by smoking motor under the seat - am I to be crushed to death by my own Maserati or burned - or both! Would make the local paper at least.

All by the by - does anyone know how to get the seat back with no power - I can't get at the front bolts holding the seat in as it's stuck forward - tried battery off and on again. I suspect the switch may be stuck so will have a go at getting at that but if there is a trick I'd love to hear it.

Thx

Howard

Looks like it might be control unit as there's no movement from any of the seat controls....

conaero

Forum Owner
Had the same thing on my Spyder it was the memory seat buttons.

Where the GS has a flat roof with no gutter channels the water runs off the roof when you open the door down onto the seat buttons, they corrode and short out.

Pop the switch out and disconnect it to prove it's the buttons at fault.

David Askew sold me a good used one for £10.

Also check your seat recline cable/switch as if it's tripping will put the seat forward too.

Howard

Thanks - I shall give them a go. At least I can get at the switches with the right screwdriver...

colonelk

Have a similar issue in my 4200. Seat is wound right forward and the motor stuck. Got it going the first time with a few persuasive hammer taps. No such luck now. Any ideas on seat removal with it right forward?

maverick

Had a similar issue , found out it was the brushes in the motor had all gunked up , I removed the motor disisembled it cleaned and put back together . Fairly easy job but you will need a soldering iron though . Works perfect now .If the seat is stuck but you can raise it ,you can un bolt the motor it's a bit of a pig to do but just about possible .If you can get to the rear bolts holding the seat down you may be able to tilt the seat up to ade getting to the fixings which are t star type ( not to sure on size ) the motor for front to back movement is the second one back from the front off the seat

safrane

Motors are the same as Porkers...there is a thread on here listing the matching part no.

colonelk

Well - got it going enough to unbolt the seat. Stripped the motor down and cleaned it out, but the brushes have got hot enough to partially melt the housing, would probably work but no sense in chancing it. Full of gunk though. As its a quick job - would suggest it might be a good preventative task if you get any early symptoms of failure.

Have ordered the porsche motor - was £51. Part number is 996.624.332.00 available at deroure and scuderia parts.

Howard

thanks for all that guys - it was the motor. Stuck forward, started overheating and blew fuse. Getting it out with the seat stuck forward only took 2 days!

Had to undo the seat squab (2 white plastic clips under seat front - easy, and 2 10mm nuts - invisible and impossible. Disconnect cables and had to sacrifice rear seat plastic shroud which can be repaired at least.) then I could reach the motor, undo it and use a drill to wind the mechanism back to finally get the seat out.

I shall get the part and back to normal - ish.

cheers.

Howard

gs driver seat clip.jpggs driver seat motors.jpgGS driver seat nut.jpgGS driver seat under.jpg

Not done photos before - see if this works. Pictures of the plastic clips that have a centre piece that comes out with pliers and then the whole clip comes away from the frame with a bit of screwdriver leverage.

Then the wretched 10mm nuts that can be reached only by tiny elves with magic tools.

Once those were done, the seat squab could be lifted enough to reach through to the motors...

The whole underside with motors now in place - thanks to the boys at Migliore Bromsgrove who happened to have one in a box upstairs! (I need a box upstairs).

back and running now.

By the by: advertised for nearly a month at £25k on pistonheads, autotrader and even ebay - a reasonable price for mileage, new clutch etc according to the market: not a squeak. Maybe it's the wrong season or soemthing...

safrane

Howard. May be worth having a chat with Richard Grace. He seems to be able to shift GS s and 4200s no matter the time of year...if its a good one he may be able to go for sale or return as I did some years back.

philgarner

Seeing as this seems to be the definitive seat motor thread, here's my experience.

My passenger seat was stuck all the way forward. I could hear the relay clicking but no forward/back motion, so obvious conclusion is a dead motor. I tried all kinds of tool concoctions to get the the 13mm nuts holding the seat on on the trans tunnel side before deciding it was impossible. I didn't quite try the method above as I had my mechanic brother-in-law round for Christmas so got him to have a look. He's a lot more lithe than me and was able to get to the motor from the back, under the seat and get the T25 torx bits out, slowly but surely, without removing the seat. He removed the control module and cut some cable retention bits to do it but I am bloody amazed he did it - would have been impossible for me.

Got the Porsche motor from our local dealer - as above cheap enough, got it delivered for about £70 inc vat.

BL330

My front passenger seat would only travel 1 cm then stop in either front or rearward direction.
It took multiple pressings of the button to get it where you wanted it to go.
Other directions, up / down or seat back angle were fine.
At my last service they found the seat motor was at fault. They said they rebuilt it.
Problem solved now.