QP - seems good value!

Contigo

Sponsor
Great place to be as a commuter or rep car alternative. Why have a Merc or bimmer when you can have one of these?

Andyk

I see a few of these and Ghiblis have dropped under 30k. Lots of car for the money especially if you want an everyday car.

Ewan

Cheapest QP VI I've seen. But stick 10k miles per year on it for the next 3 years and it'll loose a further £20k. High mileage, out of warranty, diesel luxury barges (e.g. S Class) are cheap, and the same will be true for this QP in due course.

Financially it would make more sense to spend £15k or so on a good QP V, as that will loose very little (though probably cost more in running costs).

Ewan

For the same money you could get a Ghibli with 40k fewer miles under its belt. That would be the better buy if you don't need the vast extra rear legroom of a QP.

Wattie

Ghibli's are good value too then.
This QPmust have lost close to 40k.......correct?
Cheers Wattie

philgarner

Definitely some depreciation value there. Had my eye on a 6er Gran Coupe 640d for my next daily when they get cheap enough, but a cheap QP diesel just got on my mental radar.

CJC

I've been discussing buying an ex demonstrator facelift QP diesel and trading in my QP diesel which will be two years old in March. The depreciation on mine would be quite alarming if it had been purchased at list. Even compared to what I paid it's quite a drop.
Two to three year old QPs are turning into the deal of the century for buyers.

rockits

I thought that when I bought a 75k 3 year old XJ for 23k. Don't get me wrong it didn't do too bad as had it for just over 2 years and dropped 4k. For someone who doesn't do depreciation that was a shock for me

The market doesn't like big exec waggons of any description after a few years. They will keep dropping until they stabilise more at 10-15k after a few years.

Wack61

I don't know which exec cars you're looking at but the stabilising price is closer to £1500 than £15,000 :D

QP excluded

With maserati offering a factory extended warranty it makes you wonder why anyone buys new when you could buy a 2 year old one at 60% off list and still have a 3 year warranty

rockits

Agreed. Problem always starts when lease companies get 40-50% discount on new list. That is why the BIK tax for company cars is stupid. Based on list price on lease cars that the lease companies never buy at or anywhere near.

A private person can't buy a new car these days unless they are loaded or want to lose a lot of cash quickly. If they do they should donate it to me instead!

P R

A private person can't buy a new car these days unless they are loaded or want to lose a lot of cash quickly. If they do they should donate it to me instead!

Or if you actually use your car, where upon the lease deals quickly become very uneconomical!

Needamaser

Or if you actually use your car, where upon the lease deals quickly become very uneconomical!

If you are referring to excess mileage charges that isn't always the case.
I have taken a lease car on 10k pa and the excess mileage charge is less than if I took say 15k pa and did equivalent miles.
There are cracking lease deals out there if you are flexible about the car you want and can wait for a deal to become available.

safrane

Only when people keep them for a short period. The last new car I had was kept for 23 years and our new Mini is 14 years and still less than 50k on the clock...but yes I know we are an exception.

P R

If you are referring to excess mileage charges that isn't always the case.
I have taken a lease car on 10k pa and the excess mileage charge is less than if I took say 15k pa and did equivalent miles.
There are cracking lease deals out there if you are flexible about the car you want and can wait for a deal to become available.
Good point. I do 20k ish miles per year which would add say 3k over the 3 years at 10p per mile extra. Providing there is no absolute limit