Biturbo center console removal

spacecadet

Hi,

trying to remove the center console from my Ghibli but I'm stuck.

Found a screw in front of the gear lever behind the wood trim, also removed the gear lever knob and the ashtray and that's all. If the side carpets from the tunnel have to be removed how to tackle the clips? They look like ready to break if touched.

Wally

1 screw under the lining of the box under the arm-rest, 2 behind the wooden panel surrounding the radio (as far as i recall)

spacecadet

Have to remove the box? When opening the arm rest, can't see anything under just the furry coating on the box.

CatmanV2

Normally on these things that furry coating peels off. Might need a blade inserted in the edge to start the levering process

C

chad5k1

Yes, do not remove the coating!
Remove the actual internal box itself. You get a view of this on the parts diagram and it will help you understand how it goes together.

spacecadet

Thanks for the help, in the end succeeded.

Here are the step which worked for me (might not be the best):

The console is held by 5 screws.

First remove the wood trim around the radio / AC: remove the two small screw holding the wood trim, pull out the button bar, tilt out the top of the wood trim and pull it up.

P1060265.jpg

This reveals the first screw

P1060266.jpg

Next remove the ash tray and the box under the arm rest, both have to be pulled up. The box might be harder to remove, use a plastic scraper or similar (I've used a pancake flipper) and pull on the lip, while pushing against from the inside with the other hand.

P1060271.jpg

Two screws under the box

P1060274.jpg

Two more screws at the front where it joins the console of the radio / AC. To access them the side carpets might have to be removed.

P1060276.jpg

Then remove the gear lever knob, 3 hex screws

P1060267.jpg

And the parking brake knob, 1 hex screw

P1060275.jpg

Now comes the hard part. I couldn't remove the console, since on the front the radio / AC console was in the way, and in the back the parking brake was blocking the way. After wasting a lot of time in the end I unscrewed the two screws holding the brake which gave enough wiggle room to free the console.

Disconnecting the cables is easier if the panel around is separated. For this bend the biggest metal tab found at the rear part of the panel.

P1060278.jpg

The Koni selector is tricky, utilizes some custom made **** solution to hold it in place.

P1060281.jpg

The result

P1060285.jpg

Console and arm rest now off for re-trimming. Only the two skirts and the arm rest were in a bad shape, but I though let's do the whole then.

Attachments

• P1060285.jpg
    P1060285.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 69

del mar

You appear to have bits missing unless you had already removed them in the photos. ?

Mine was exactly the same - I found my missing parts in the boot by the battery.

There should be to rectangular pipes that make up the air conditioning flow to the little vent in the rear.

if you look at the second last photo you can see it sticking down to the left of the centre console the one on the right looks different for some reason. I had two matching pipes in the boot that connected to these and ran along wide the transmission tunnel to the little vent in the rear. Pig to fit.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/m...erior/passenger-compartment-ventilation-21471

spacecadet

Good job! Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Me too :)

You appear to have bits missing unless you had already removed them in the photos. ?

Mine was exactly the same - I found my missing parts in the boot by the battery.

There should be to rectangular pipes that make up the air conditioning flow to the little vent in the rear.

if you look at the second last photo you can see it sticking down to the left of the centre console the one on the right looks different for some reason. I had two matching pipes in the boot that connected to these and ran along wide the transmission tunnel to the little vent in the rear. Pig to fit.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/m...erior/passenger-compartment-ventilation-21471

Nothing else removed prior except the ash tray. The pipe is there bolted (non removable, don't know the proper name) to the center console, visible on the fourth photo, starts as single big one at the back which then splits and attaches to the pipes in the front you are saying (as on the diagram). Forgot to mention this, had to separate them in the front.

spacecadet

Finally collected it today. There is a slight change at the area below the parking brake handle. Originally that part was only folded over and glued down, now the whole part is nicely stitched together.

Before

P1060288.jpg

P1060291.jpg

P1060292.jpg

P1060293.jpg

P1060294.jpg

After

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

PhilR

Great write up! I had to go through this today (stripping down for a full body job) and this was the absolute *best* resource available.