Anyone had a difficult first few months but gone on to love the car?

Digsy

I've had my GTS for 3 months now but I've barely driven it. I've had some niggles which I'm happy to put down to ownership of an ageing Italian exotic. However, it's left me immobile on a number of occasions, mostly as a result of battery problems finally traced to the Navtrak. This has now become a bit of a running joke that when the weather's half decent and I get excited about taking it out I only have a 50/50 chance of it actually moving. It's happened again today - fairly dry and mild, I fire her up excitedly only to find the front brakes stuck on and the car going nowhere. :(

The issue here is that I feel I've had enough. I guess if it had been summer and I'd had some stellar drives or got more miles under my belt, the problems would be offset by the pleasure but I'm beginning to associate the GTS with anger and frustration - more a beautiful piece of art stuck in my drive and less a car to be enjoyed. Has anyone else had a torrid initial period with their car and come out the other side?

bigbob

Tough one, I plug my car into a CTEK and it's fine. Did this after it flattened the battery when it was three months old and learnt my lesson! Other exotic cars are similar I am told.

Brakes on any car can struggle when you set off if it has been left sat a while and was parked up wet. I do what others have suggested about the EPB (I only use the EPB intra-day) but your problem is with the front brakes. You may have an issue with them - mileage, original set etc etc. Get them looked at?

Contigo

Sponsor
Even turning my EPB off and leaving for a day can result in it going nowhere when reversing out of the drive, the key is to put it in first or opposite gear to the one where it won't move and rock the car on the throttle, you will hear a slight clunk as it pulls away, as there is no EPB on when it does this it must be pads slightly binding.

Try it and let me know mate.

Ebenezer

You and your car are suffering from car change of ownership syndrome. There's a reason it was sold by the previous owner, and cars know they have been passed on and get the hump. Show her some love and affection and she will blossom, and you will know that all is well under the hood, and that warm fuzzy feeling that you are hoping for will surely arrive, and be all the sweeter!
As written by one who is speaking from experience - needed to do the following to appease her! tracking, 2 front bearings, EPB, front light, tyres. These are high maintenance ladies, but you get what you pay for! If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun
Eb

JonW

I've had my GTS for 3 months now but I've barely driven it. I've had some niggles which I'm happy to put down to ownership of an ageing Italian exotic. However, it's left me immobile on a number of occasions, mostly as a result of battery problems finally traced to the Navtrak. This has now become a bit of a running joke that when the weather's half decent and I get excited about taking it out I only have a 50/50 chance of it actually moving. It's happened again today - fairly dry and mild, I fire her up excitedly only to find the front brakes stuck on and the car going nowhere. :(

The issue here is that I feel I've had enough. I guess if it had been summer and I'd had some stellar drives or got more miles under my belt, the problems would be offset by the pleasure but I'm beginning to associate the GTS with anger and frustration - more a beautiful piece of art stuck in my drive and less a car to be enjoyed. Has anyone else had a torrid initial period with their car and come out the other side?

It does sound like you've been really unlucky in your first three months, and I can understand how frustrating that must be.

I haven't had the same issues with my GTS, but I can remember quite some time ago when I bought my Golf GTI (which I had wanted for ages) that I had a string of mishaps in/with the car, and I came very close to deciding it was a pile of rubbish and ditching it for something else. In the end I decided not to sell it, my luck turned, and I ended up loving that car for the eighteen months I had it and being gutted when some scrotes stole it and left it on bricks with half the innards ripped out...

So, my advice would be to persevere, and at least give the GTS a chance to prove to you how special it can be.

Also, I don't know how often you're using the car, or whether you're still having battery issues, but if you are I would definitely buy a CTEK charger and plug her in once a week for a boost...

Contigo

Sponsor
Just use it more, Masers needs using at least 4 times a week imo to keep them tip top and fresh. Sitting there like yours does them no good even in a warm garage with a trickle charger. The reason I am selling the 32 is that it is doing exactly that and I can't stand to see it.

Keano

Stick with it Digsy - i had mine for a month and then it went back for warranty fix and they had it for a month which was not the plan but since i got it back there have been no issues and i drive it as my only car. I still smile each time i drive it and am a firm believer that we buy these to drive them and not park them. A lot of the issues are because they are not driven enough and i never plug in a charger. I have replaced the battery recently as it was 7 years old and starting to show its age so i got ahead of it and swopped it. The rear brakes played up but it was time for the discs and pads to be done so i got it done. Its a machine and things will break but if you drive it regular it will run like a dream. Best car i have ever had.

p.s never had an italian girlfriend but i imagine she would need tweaking, nudging and have the odd fit as well but when flat would i care ;-)

StuartW

As others have said, stick with it as it's the best looking and one of the most rewarding cars you will own when it's working as it should.
Get the tracker disconnected and invest in a new Bosch SC5 battery as this will solve all manner of electrical niggles that may not have even shown themselves yet, especially in the winter months. And if possible, try to keep the car under cover. If you don't have a garage and it is not possible to have one, invest in something like a Dancover that I have - they do a great job in keeping the car protected from elements.
Good luck

IMG_20150620_174333.jpg

CatmanV2

My first several months was *awful* It's all documented on here. Wouldn't be without it now :)

C

iainw

Even turning my EPB off and leaving for a day can result in it going nowhere when reversing out of the drive, the key is to put it in first or opposite gear to the one where it won't move and rock the car on the throttle, you will hear a slight clunk as it pulls away, as there is no EPB on when it does this it must be pads slightly binding.

Try it and let me know mate.

What is EPB :/
I have had only minor battery problems - but don't regret buying it.
Agree with Phil - I think the GTs are there to be driven and the less I use it the more anxious I become.
Just bought a CTEK yesterday and its plugged in in my warm garage - on advice of guys on the forum and I think it will reduce my anxiety about driving it less in the winter.

CatmanV2

What is EPB :/
I have had only minor battery problems - but don't regret buying it.
Agree with Phil - I think the GTs are there to be driven and the less I use it the more anxious I become.
Just bought a CTEK yesterday and its plugged in in my warm garage - on advice of guys on the forum and I think it will reduce my anxiety about driving it less in the winter.

Electronic parking break. A solution looking for a problem.....

C

dem maser

Difficult first few months??

Too long to explain, i had many issues with my AC, the place i bought it from were cowboys and with court action they eventually paid for a dealer to put everything right.

I hardly drove her for 3 months but when she came back everything was perfect and she ran for 9 years under my ownership problem free.....