4200 now 'worth' £45k

midlifecrisis

Today was definitely a day when I was glad I'd stuck winter tyres on mine... at 7am this morning the frost was hard and slippy, so my drive to work would have been nerve wracking if the car was still on the normal P Zero's. As it was, with the ICE button pressed and the winter tyres it felt perfectly sure footed (not that I was pushing too hard mind you)...

You can put your foot down as much as you want, the ICE button changes the fire-breathing Maserati into a Nissan Micra! Changes up at 2500 revs!

JonW

Oh how I love the summer / winter tyre debates.... feels a bit like Groundhog Day and I have a strange sense of deja vu:as007:

Winters, for drivers who are afraid of throttle oversteer :D

Yep - on a narrow road, with other cars and drivers around, I'm scared of throttle oversteer. On a track, or in an empty car park, I love it...

winters, for drivers who want their car to be there in the summer! ;)

Yep - this is me

Life's too short for that! Come on Greg, Enjoy yourself :D

Life risks being much shorter if driving high powered rear-wheel drive cars on summer tires in winter conditions. Life without risks is dull, but this is not a risk I see the point in taking...

2b1ask1

Special case
You can have just as much fun on winter tyres as summer, just that you are a heck of a lot more able :D I have to add I learned far more about the handling of my car from the winters than any other tyre simply from the amount of feedback you get through the steering etc. you simply didn't notice on summer tyres... Totally recommend them to all if you are venturing out in your cars in cold damp conditions.

Needamaser

winters, for drivers who want their car to be there in the summer! ;)

Especially with all the salt we get thrown down for months on end!
Certainly does nothing for wishbones on 3200-GS or subframes on the QP and seemingly the GT.
My 4200 was in first class order underneath as it was never used over the winter. Maybe in the far South of the UK I would chance it but not here.

allandwf

It's fine for those who know, unfortunately about 80% of the population do not know how to drive in winter conditions, it's them you need to be aware of!

bigbob

It's fine for those who know, unfortunately about 80% of the population do not know how to drive in winter conditions, it's them you need to be aware of!

Spot on and on slippy roads dodging a random small car on 2-4mm summer tyres with irregular pressures - yes I know I am generalising here - is what worries me most.

PS I don't mean in the context of global peace, just when I am out on the roads in the winter.

philw696

Welcome to SportsMaserati Andy from your old mate in New Zealand.
A few members have seen the Celica GT4 in its early days.
Matt Conaro especially will remember as I spun it on a very wet day ending the wrong way as he was coming towards me in his Gransport.
Happy Days.