Quattroporte V / Subframes

marios kriticos

SPONSOR: Autosheild
IMG_8634.jpgQuattroporte V owners you all need to have a look at your front Subframe as this week we had a 2007 model car that the subframe was not rebearable .

Attachments

• IMG_8633.jpg
    IMG_8633.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 41

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
On top can be nicely polished with layers of wax giving a lovely reflective shine....
While underneath, and unseen....

zagatoes30

Nasty was this hiding behind the plastic under tray? Saw one in Emblem a year or two back that looked similar

Ewan

Had this, though not as bad, on one of my 2006 cars. Emblem spotted and fixed it. But it is something to check when buying an early QP V.

StuartW

Indeed, that one does look awful - let's hope there aren't too many driving around like that

AndyG

2b9aeb90dc92118166ff7732c45d5f9e.jpg

Sorted mine 18 months ago, due a check in the spring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ebenezer

Hopefully mine's ok or Emblem would have said something already. Taking it down to Poole for its MOT at the beginning of Jan
Eb

zagatoes30

Emblem always check them, Myles advised it should be one of the first things to check when looking to buy a QP

Wack61

I'd like to know a bit more of the history of that particular car , like if it belonged to a hotel owner on blackpool sea front, the only cars I've seen that bad have spent a number of years in coastal towns

drewf

Mine was pretty grim but fixed three years ago. Looked like a rock had caused some initial damage which then kicked off the massive corrosion. It's not a good design or well made part though, and certainly needs checking on any QPV.

Wack61

It looks like it was built to 1970s ford cortina standards not 80k luxury car standards , hard to imagine how it got that bad without being noticed unless it's been parked on grass for a long time

Mr K

They vary a lot, as they're not galvanised and wax injected by the factory (which would be nice). To balance things up, Marios reported that my subrames were good in November when he put in a new clutch and serviced it. It's a December 2006 QPV and it's seen a few winters in the south of England, but it's also been pampered and garaged most of its life. When I was looking to buy I found at least one 2007 car which had failed an MoT due to subframe corrosion.

Mine had very light surface rust in places when I reverted the springs to standard in July, so I treated that with Dinitrol externally. Marios kindly wax injected it at the service - something I was thinking would be worthwhile, so I really appreciated him doing it. Wax injection is why my Alfasud is still rock solid, so I really understand the value of doing this.

Mr K

Any idea whether the GT/GC are similarly affected?

Basically the same car; how any one car is affected will be down to how much salt it's exposed to. Cars driven daily through a number of winters will suffer most. We've had a couple of bad winters since 2007, which won't have helped.