Apple TV or Amazon Firestick?

hoyin

Sorry I need to revive this thread. But I am going to buy an Amazon FS. I see there is a new one out that is 4K. Is this better than the TV box which is older? Or should I still be getting the TV box?

Also can someone point me in the direction of good ahem sources and what streaming services I should connect to via kodi?

A PM would suffice.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contigo

Sponsor
The new FS is not 4K mate it's slightly faster and has Alexa voice recognition, I have both. If you must have 4K/UHD then you need to get the fire TV box.

I can PM you the links to the sources etc...

hoyin

I don't need 4K. As I don't have a 4K tv! So is the stick good enough?

conaero

Forum Owner
Don't buy the FS one it's just too slow. I believe the current one has a dual core processor rather than a single so it has to be better and would go for that.

I binned my Sky after 15 years and 8 months so I just went out and bought a Humax 500gb twin tuner box. Has all the catch-up tv in built as well as Netflix, I am over the moon with it. Have Kodi on an Apple TV for movies and sport.

Contigo

Sponsor
You can only buy the new Firestick TV now so that's not an issue. Buy it mate and I can talk you through it.

hoyin

I got Apple TV. But I couldn't get kodi to load on it. I tried side loading but it just wouldn't do it.

jluis

The newer Apple TV supports plex, so that is a nice combination if you download movies and need a way of displaying in the tv

Panicracing

I've got both firestick and the 4k Amazon box. Both work well on fibre broadband but the box is far superior. For the extra cost I'd go for the 4k Amazon box all day.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I've pretty much given up on Kodi and the various 'add-ons'.
Just fed up on poor quality, stalling, pausing etc.
Unless there is a reliable add-on that delivers?

hoyin

I've pretty much given up on Kodi and the various 'add-ons'.
Just fed up on poor quality, stalling, pausing etc.
Unless there is a reliable add-on that delivers?

I use perfect player on the amazon stick. And then subscribe to an IPTV stream.

Costs me £10 a month. Got everything and the quality is very good.

Sometimes it buffers. But not that often.

Mattp

Kodi as a streaming device is just not fun... the amazon interface on a fire stick is much better, but doing its real job as a front end for a media centre, its brilliant!

for the home server i have an i7 HyperV Host with a 15TB media share, frontended with Kodi to play my movie collection, with Plex in the background for transcoding and remote access to it all. a single Harmony remote controls everything and is even in-law proof!
In the summerhouse there is an intel stick PC connected to a projector running plex to downscale the 4K stuff down so it plays over the wifi (and doesnt overwhelm the little stick!)
The in-laws also have plex on their firestick which connects to my server so they can enjoy our movies and photos