Replacing damaged and peeling Paintshield?

JonW

Doh - I've been a bit of an idiot, and need some advice.

My Granturismo is half covered in Paintshield film (bonnet, front spoiler and mirrors, front wings, side and rear sills, and back bumper), and I hadn't realised that putting the car through too fierce a jet wash could cause the film to lift. I think this, plus the fact that that may have been a small chip in the film means that on the bottom of the passenger side rear-wheel arch, the film is now peeling, and there is a decent sized bubble that has formed where some water has got in.

I can include a picture once I've taken one, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to get the section of film replaced. What I don't know, as I've never owned a car which had this kind of protective layer applied to it, is whether this is something that any good detailer can do, or whether I would be better to speak directly to Paintshield.

I know I can call Paintshield to find out, but would be interested in any thoughts / input.

spkennyuk

Any wrap place would be able to put a new piece in. The issue arrises as to matching the exact film type used and how long it has been on the vehicle. The clarity of the film used changes over a period of time. Most are UV guaranteed for 3 to 5 years now against yellowing.

Paintshield may be the sole suppliers of that particular make of film so your probably as well to email them a picture of the damaged area and ask the question on cost to replace. Its still likely to stand out a bit at least that that section of film is new.

conaero

Forum Owner
Use a hairdryer to soften it, feel it back without stretching it, spray soapy water on the body then reapply using a squeegee (or credit card) to push the fluid out from the centre outwards.

Any trapped air you can't get out, pierce with a scalpel and push the fluid out with your nail.

I used to be a sign writer and this is how it's applied.

JonW

Use a hairdryer to soften it, feel it back without stretching it, spray soapy water on the body then reapply using a squeegee (or credit card) to push the fluid out from the centre outwards.

Any trapped air you can't get out, pierce with a scalpel and push the fluid out with your nail.

I used to be a sign writer and this is how it's applied.

Thank you - will take a look in the dry and see how it all looks.