4200 Central Locking Problem

PaulCambio

My 4200 central locking has today started playing up. When I press the remote to lock the doors, it locks, and immediately unlocks. The same thing happens with the key in the lock too. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

CatmanV2

Lock unit is failing.
Try the key in the (I'm guessing) passenger door. You'll probably find it stays locked then. That would mean your passenger lock is failing.
They are quite cheap and simple ish to replace.

C

Spartacus

You will need a new door lock unit . You can get them from your main dealer for about £45.

Lock your car and listen to see which one does nt click . That the one you need to change .

Its about a 2 hours job with lots of swearing ...enjoy ;)

Here's what to do:

1) Remove the door card
2) Undo the lock bolts
3) Drop them all inside the door
4) Fit new lock using your third hand to balance the door rod in place .
5) Use the force to make the ball catch click into place .
6) Put the door back together
7) Try the central locking and is does exactly the same as before . :cool:

Last edited:

PaulCambio

Thanks guys. I've locked the car using the passenger door lock. I guess this means it's the drivers door that is faulty.

conaero

Forum Owner
When you use the handle to open the door one will feel course and vague, that will be your failed unit.

It gives a sort of 'it's going to snap off in my hand' feel.

CatmanV2

Thanks guys. I've locked the car using the passenger door lock. I guess this means it's the drivers door that is faulty.

No it means the passenger lock is going. The use of the key gives it the extra shove it needs to lock properly so the system registers it as locked.

Counter intuitive, I know

C

conaero

Forum Owner
If your down in Chi bring it with you, I'll help you fit it.

The last time we met was in the early 1990's in that nurses home in Guildford....the one with all the p!ssed nurses....remember?

Happy days

PaulCambio

If your down in Chi bring it with you, I'll help you fit it.

The last time we met was in the early 1990's in that nurses home in Guildford....the one with all the p!ssed nurses....remember?

Happy days

Cheers - I remember those days, but not very well. Must be the blur of booze! PM me your number, and I'll give you a call when I have bought a new door lock unit.

PaulCambio

Well, this is very odd. Just gone out to the car to try the door handles to see if either feels knackered. After a few tries on both, and a few presses of the remote, it's all working fine again now. I reckon it will fail again soon, but i now have no idea which side is busted.

Is the door lock unit the same for both doors? If so, I'll order one in readiness for the day it fails again.

CatmanV2

No it's not the same unit.

Yes they will work intermittently before they fail, especially when you given them a shove with the key.

Yes it's the passenger side. Really *really*

C

conaero

Forum Owner
It's because you have used the key in the passenger lock and thus freed it up a bit.

Spray some WD40 into the lock and work it a bit with the key. You might get lucky.

sheffield chris

My 4200 central locking has today started playing up. When I press the remote to lock the doors, it locks, and immediately unlocks. The same thing happens with the key in the lock too. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

I had the exact same problem back in june just a week after buying my 4200, a good dose of wd40 in both locks then put the key in a few times & it has not happened again since then.
my drivers door window however is a different story (a mind of its own) every now & again when opening the drivers door it drops about 5-6 inches or it drops all the way down but 99% of the time it is fine.

PaulCambio

I had the exact same problem back in june just a week after buying my 4200, a good dose of wd40 in both locks then put the key in a few times & it has not happened again since then.
my drivers door window however is a different story (a mind of its own) every now & again when opening the drivers door it drops about 5-6 inches or it drops all the way down but 99% of the time it is fine.

Cheers Chris. Put a load of WD40 in both locks yesterday, and they are working fine at the moment.

PaulCambio

I'm going to have a go at the door lock unit this week, but just need some clarification please.

When I turn the key in the drivers door, the passenger door lock tries to lock, and then unlocks, but nothing happens to the drivers door lock. The same happens when I use the key in the passenger door. Loads of WD40, and no luck, so a door lock fix I guess.

Which one though?

PaulCambio

Thanks C. Ordered one from Meridien Modena for £48 +VAT. They told me it was a common fault, and that the part 'doesn't last forever'!!