Is there a good reason why I shouldn't buy this?

GeoffCapes

So you're going to buy it then?

As it's an auction you can never say yes until you're the highest bidder.
If I can get there next Saturday I'll certainly have a look with a view to bidding. (after a good look around from rust).
Shame you can't look before hand.

Will know on Friday what my plans are for the 3rd as we have a pre-christmas bash in the evening including one of my best mates engagement soiree which I certainly can't miss or be late for!
Not sure what time that is.
Will have to look at the auction running times to see if it is do-able. Especially as the internet premium is 11%!!!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Don't do it, buy a tidy Zagato Spyder for around £10k as that really is the one to have or the Karif from the Biturbo era, trust me these are ****!

Ambient69

The word trust & Contigo. Looks like their might be more than one interested bidder, since it is a bit cold for an MX5 at this time of year.

Contigo

Sponsor
Thanks Sean, love you too :D

And no I won't be bidding on this at all, I wouldn't touch it with yours!

GeoffCapes

So you're going to buy it then?

It's all yours to bid on Stevie.

I've just had a conversation with a client and I'm now going to be spending a lump of cash funding a project for them. :/
The upside is that funding could turn into an order ten times of the figure I'm funding.
And I also get my cash back if they don't do the big order. Kinda win/win, but short term leaves me a bit short of car spends. (lets hope my 4200 doesn't need a new clutch).

safrane

In relation to your original question Mark.

Yes - You have just got married and may wish to stay that way...or the cost of repairs will be a pittence compared to a divorce.

GeoffCapes

In relation to your original question Mark.

Yes - You have just got married and may wish to stay that way...or the cost of repairs will be a pittence compared to a divorce.

Having been divorced previously I am well aware of the cost.
However, Alex is good as gold, her theory is "if you can afford it, you can buy it".

Bit moot now as funds are now allocated elsewhere, will be interested to see what it goes for though.

Needamaser

Rust is the issue with these cars.
Find one without and buy or be prepared to do a lot of work sorting the dreaded tinworm.
Check out the restoration on here in the classic section.
Car looked not bad when bought but the extent of the work to sort is way beyond my capabilities or budget. Full marks to those that do restore them.
Early days with mine but it is pretty much rust free all over and mechanical issues are pretty minor and nothing routine servicing wont pick up.
Mine has done little mileage and that is part of the issue. If you find one that has been and is being used I suspect a lot of the "problems" will have been resolved.
Difference in price between a really good car and one needing major body work doesn't justify buying a project. But then how many of us buy with our head?? :)

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
A White biturbo? You might as well play Russian roulette with an automatic. There will be rust, it's a question of where and how bad.