Giulia Day

Andyk

Sure you could do something about it Mick. Must be a way around.....

This is an interesting thread as a number of you are thinking of buying one or are. When Maserati have the Ghibli which on this forum you would expect to be the car for this money people would want. Sort of tells a story and with the other 'rant' thread certainly paints a picture. Even if I had 60k to spend I don't think I could justify sinking it into an Alfa but a used one certainly would be very attractive. Would be good to see how prices have stood up against the M cars etc over the next few years. Perhaps this is the car to buck the trend for Alfa residuals.

MrMickS

I bought the Ghibli because the Alfa got that expensive, and was late. I think I've got more for my money than a hot mid 30k car.

I know that the Ghibli is a bit marmite here. I think you've got to look at more than the BHP and 0-60 times to compare with the QV. Having sat in a Giulia I know where I'd rather be sitting for a long drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyk

I think the Ghibli is a great looking car Mick...Is it marmite....think some the others in the range is but not so the Ghibli. Yours is a lovely car.

hoyin

It depends what you are looking for obviously. The Ghibli in non sport mode is more comfortable. The Giulia in normal mode is still a bit too hard. I would have liked it a little softer.

I prefer the internal styling of the Giulia. The integration of the media screen is well done the driving position is good, the carbon interior is nice. The bonnet and roof is carbon.

The boot is big and has a large opening. The seats are better and have adjustable side bolsters.

It is definitely much more sporty than the Ghibli. And I would say more of what I want.

However if it was a Maserati I don't think it would sell as well as the Ghibli. As the people buying the Ghibli want more of a luxury sports cruiser whereas the Giulia would be too sporty.

Does that make sense?

Also if I traded in my GTS for this it would definitely be a step down I feel.

So I tried a Rapide S. That V12 is lovely. But there is no way I could buy it. The rear is shockingly bad. The door opening is tiny! It is so uncomfortable getting in and out and the rear seating position is cramped as well.

I would say the GTS rear seats are much better - more room and more comfortable. So a Rapide is off the list.

Andyk

Just been watching some reviews. It sounds pretty bloody amazing. Especially in race.

Also see there are 10 for sale already on AT....I take it these must be dealer demo cars as cheapest is just under 60k. All red except one blue.

conaero

Forum Owner
I am genuinely pleased for Alfa it's been a long dark period for them over the past decade and things look like they are starting to work.

Is it coincidence that Alfa returning to a V6 after the Luke warm 4 pot turbos era? The enthusiasts have been calling for a RWD V6 for what seems forever.

Maserati should think very carefully before dropping the V8! It's been their recipe for success over the years. The last time you went chasing volume with turbo V6's....how did that go?

urquattrogus

Dealer Demo, a November 2016 car is up for £57,950 but that would not be available until June, apparently all dealers have to keep the demo for six months or more.

9.5% off a new one makes the dealer demo uncompetitive anyway, i'm sure discounts will increase over time, glad to use the Fiat scheme for something useful for once!

Money off a 500 isn't quite as alluring...

Andyk

Surprised that there is a discount on a new model that is this desirable especially as it's the halo model.

DaveT

I looked at the Giulia before I bought my Ghibli and while it's a lovely car to drive and looks OK (its grown a bit on me) the interior of my Ghibli is just a much nicer place to be IMHO.

As an (almost) daily driver, the more refined Ghibli suits me better than the Alfa.

I did ask about discounts on the Alfa and didn't get any encouragement.

urquattrogus

No doubting the luxury of the Ghibli, but this thing is the dogs ******** as a drivers car :)

I've decided To go for the red one, which should also get me in before the tax goes up on 1st of April

Will be nice to line it up next to my 66 Guilia for a photo :)

hoyin

I asked for a discount. Got told nada. Zero. As it is a new car.

Has anyone managed to get a discount. It doesn't make sense to give any since it is brand new. Otherwise it would devalue it.

I would say it is a better drivers car than the Ghibli and GTS. Certainly faster than both.

iainw

It depends what you are looking for obviously. The Ghibli in non sport mode is more comfortable. The Giulia in normal mode is still a bit too hard. I would have liked it a little softer.

I prefer the internal styling of the Giulia. The integration of the media screen is well done the driving position is good, the carbon interior is nice. The bonnet and roof is carbon.

The boot is big and has a large opening. The seats are better and have adjustable side bolsters.

It is definitely much more sporty than the Ghibli. And I would say more of what I want.

However if it was a Maserati I don't think it would sell as well as the Ghibli. As the people buying the Ghibli want more of a luxury sports cruiser whereas the Giulia would be too sporty.

Does that make sense?

Also if I traded in my GTS for this it would definitely be a step down I feel.

So I tried a Rapide S. That V12 is lovely. But there is no way I could buy it. The rear is shockingly bad. The door opening is tiny! It is so uncomfortable getting in and out and the rear seating position is cramped as well.

I would say the GTS rear seats are much better - more room and more comfortable. So a Rapide is off the list.

That's really helpful hoyin. Your car seems closest to mine in terms of spec so it's helpful to know you feel the Guilia is a step down. I kind of knew that but it's good to know. Rapide looks lovely but not that practical as you agree.
I can't imagine the panamera as I just don't like the look of them... so what's left!?
Am with Adam on this- what on earth to replace it with?
Unless someone is selling a black California for a song

hoyin

I am going to try a panamera in the next couple of weeks if I can squeeze in the time. So far everyone says it is the best drivers car and might not feel like step down from the GTS if I get a fully spec one.

hoyin

That's really helpful hoyin. Your car seems closest to mine in terms of spec so it's helpful to know you feel the Guilia is a step down. I kind of knew that but it's good to know. Rapide looks lovely but not that practical as you agree.
I can't imagine the panamera as I just don't like the look of them... so what's left!?
Am with Adam on this- what on earth to replace it with?
Unless someone is selling a black California for a song

Never considered a California. Why are you interested in that?

iainw

Never considered a California. Why are you interested in that?

It's bloody nice. Hard top/ convertible. Sounds gorgeous. Personally I like the styling (especially if black with black and red interior). My ideal one was available as a cat d recently at 75 but wrong timing. Still around the 90 mark which is a little rich this year.

Downside is the small back seats I suppose. I understand why the panamera is attractive to some- fast and big back seats / practical. But it's really not for me.

hoyin

It's bloody nice. Hard top/ convertible. Sounds gorgeous. Personally I like the styling (especially if black with black and red interior). My ideal one was available as a cat d recently at 75 but wrong timing. Still around the 90 mark which is a little rich this year.

Downside is the small back seats I suppose. I understand why the panamera is attractive to some- fast and big back seats / practical. But it's really not for me.

Yeah wasn't for me either. But as I am getting older I need more practicality.