Winter Tyres

MrMickS

Might as well fit them as they are here, grip does feel better when wet & cold but if it snows it makes a massive difference

If I had somewhere to store a set of wheels I'd consider them. As it is I'll just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbob

A lot of people who had not driven with winter tyres probably don't appreciate the grip difference they give in low temps. Snow is a bonus for the delta but they make a huge difference in the rain when it is cold.

As for waiting for your tyres to warm up, if it's sub five Celsius then drive for ten mins on summer rubber and then stop and feel your tyres. There will not be much heat in them. There are lots of tyre places that act as tyre hotels so you don't need extra rims or space to store tyres.

CatmanV2

Indeed. It's been too much 'not' compared to the 'fun'
And it's not just *my* skill or tyres that lead me to that particular attitude. The rest of the drivers out there are bad enough in decent weather.....

C

allandwf

Indeed! Some should not be out. I still feel winter training should be mandatory in some places, not just trial and error. We are lucky? enough to be able to go out and play in quiet areas with nothing around.

MrMickS

The tyre hotel thing was new to me, if I get in a position where I need to have winter tyres I'll consider that. The fact remains though that, even though I use my car as my daily, due to my driving patterns I'd probably only benefit for around half a dozen times a year so I don't think that its worth it. I can appreciate that those of you living further north, or driving before the sun gets up etc, will see the benefit.

On the tyre temperature thing. I think that the majority of us know enough about driving and cars to know that getting heat into the tyres is based on a number of factors, including: road temperature, grip on the road surface, tyre make up, driving style. If you've got a TPMS with tyre pressure readout though you've got a built in approximation of the tyre temperature. The normal pressure on my tyres is 2.2 bar. When its cold the pressure drops to the 1.9/2.0 mark on startup. As you get heat into the tyres the air temperature in the tyres increases as does the pressure. So I know that until I get to 2.2 the tyres are very cold and to take extra care. To be honest I still take care at 2.2 as that just means that they are at warm weather minimum. It does take the guess work out of it.

zagatoes30

Well there going on the GT this week temps look low enough in general and don't want to get caught out.

zagatoes30

Well there on and after the initial shock of tyres that had not been used for 9 mths they have soon warmed up and then felt much more grippy in the cold than the summers. As always this will now be the time we get the warmest winter on record with no sign of snow until the day after I switch back to summers.

allandwf

Haha! True, but in a previous life I did 40k miles a year, was on 24h call in all weathers over a 200 mile radius. Not getting there wasn't an option. We had various vehicles at our disposal, and was put on off road and all weather driving courses. Most of it was good fun. Its also where I learnt just how good a Landrover could be.

Wack61

I hit a blizzard on the way to aberdeen in an iveco pickup towing a 3.5T trailer once, no problem fully loaded, once you take the weight off the truck it's going nowhere, I was dreading coming back but in that hour it'd completely melted

I've had winter tyres for my vans and cars previously but the B220 is 4wd and as the tyres are new I'll see how it goes

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Just put Pirelli Sotozero on all four corners of the QP. I'm no expert, but it certainly feels extra grippy. Maybe just psychological.

Last edited:

safrane

My volvo got me through all weathers on standard tyres... with a little help from the chains.

image_05.jpgimage_04.jpg

drewf

Haven't put chains on a car in 8 years, and that's including 6 winters in the Alps. Winter tyres beats trying to get by on summer tyres and freezing your fingers off fitting and removing chains every 15 minutes.

MarkMas

Chief pedant

Keano

Huge thank you bigbob for this, i had ordered winter tyres @ £175 each and after this post had a look at Tyre Outlet and saved £50... Conti TS830s should give me back some traction as its currently bouncing down the road when its cold.

bigbob

Huge thank you bigbob for this, i had ordered winter tyres @ £175 each and after this post had a look at Tyre Outlet and saved £50... Conti TS830s should give me back some traction as its currently bouncing down the road when its cold.

Your are welcome. I have used those Conti winter tyres on my S3 and they were brilliant.