Inside your 4200/GS front subframe..... Its not good news.

Fat Arnie

Horror story!

This is not going back on my car. Maserati are their usual shoulder shrugging selves when it comes to doing anything about it so these nice pics have been sent to the DVSA.

Hopefully they will do something and force a recall.

DSC_0061.jpg

Photo1.jpg

Cut open - the tube is full of peeling rust from the insidePhoto2.jpg

Over half the material thickness has corroded awayDSC_0063.jpg

There are 5 new 4200 subframes in Modena, that is all.

Slowly

Presumably they'll shrug and point out that they don't need salt on the roads in Italy...

Mine smells strongly of Waxoyl but it may not be the solution if this is what is happening from the inside.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Not good.
Is there any open holes, one, for water to get in and not out, two, suitable for an endoscope to check for condition?

Fat Arnie

There are holes in the end of the round tubes but this is not where the issue is. The holes are also too small for my 8mm endoscope.

GeoffCapes

Again, could this not be the result of the accident damage the caused the car to be declared a Cat D by insurers?

Fat Arnie

Cat D is a car which has been subject to a total loss whether damaged or not. As you are well aware the damage to my car was cosmetic only.

SUBJECT CLOSED

Gp79

scary stuff and completely out of sight, until you have a hole.

What treatment process did the frames go through? Acid dip or blasted?

Fat Arnie

Blasted. The hole in the 2nd pic was not there before it was blasted. The material is very thin in that area.

philw696

That's quite scary on any motor vehicle let alone a high performance car.
What happens driving around in all that saline solution on the winter roads.
When you can't see the corrosion as it's working its way from the inside out even more of a nightmare.

Contigo

Sponsor
Maybe the filling is an Alfa? Maserati's way of strengthening the subframe was to use an Alfa filling in their sandwich.

philw696

I clean and check my car on a regular basis to make sure all is well.
I have plastered the underside and accessible inner areas with a product called Fish oil from Australia so hopefully she will stay good.IMG_20161112_121511.jpg

BL330

I clean and check my car on a regular basis to make sure all is well.
I have plastered the underside and accessible inner areas with a product called Fish oil from Australia so hopefully she will stay good.View attachment 40248
Mine had 7 years of UK roads before coming out here and was pretty ugly underneath.
Our local registration authority insisted I attend to a bent rail under the passenger seat where some clot had used it as a jacking point.
I took the opportunity to treat all the underside surface rust then and coat it with a black hardening paint recommended by the metal work expert who fixed the bent rail section. So many engine bay nuts and bolts were rusted and have been replaced. I have my fingers crossed there isn't internal subframe rot.
By the way Phil awesome looking car. Love the colour combination.

davy83

how old is the car sir? I mean cars rust, if its been kept near the sea then rust will attack and work its way in if untreated. after my TVR frame disappeared on me i have always got under my cars and made sure i re-paint or coat with rust-proofing, to try and make them last. There were bits of my front sub-frame that were rusting i removed them and repainted completely from scratch. I regularly spray all underside with Terrotex 350 its quite good and easy to use.

Fat Arnie

The rust has come from water entering the drain holes in the subframe and sloshing around inside. Sadly the drain holes are not on the bottom edge. My car has only done 2k miles per year since 2009 so I think this is a problem likely to effect any 4200 that is used in the rain - even if its kept in a dry garage.

Sure TVR's rot, but from the outside in. The key here is that this will remain hidden until you blast it as I have, or something breaks. (aside those who have an ultrasonic tester)

Its very worrying. At least you can inspect for cracks in your wishbones....

My suggestion would be to drill a 9mm hole in the low point of the centre bottom rail on each side and get an endoscope in there to look for debris. You can weld the hole up (or not if the steel is cack) or maybe is worth leaving the hole so water can drain out. If all is good inside, fill it with Dinatrol. Of course get a qualified engineers opinion on this before drilling holes in anything!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
My suggestion would be to drill a 9mm hole in the low point of the centre bottom rail on each side and get an endoscope in there to look for debris. You can weld the hole up (or not if the steel is cack) or maybe is worth leaving the hole so water can drain out. If all is good inside, fill it with Dinatrol.

I'm definitely doing this!

Zep

For anyone who is thinking of ultrasonics - it's about £50 to hire a Dakota. I would be happy to advise on its use.