Seeking 3200 manual

CatmanV2

I bet it's cos they do the cam timing too.

That would be my feeling too. I guess there must be *some* stretch to the chain which means the timing will move a bit from whatever it was set to new. There will be an improvement in parasitic losses with a properly taut belt, but I rather doubt it'll be a noticeable difference.

I simply don't believe the 'timing set out at the factory' stories.

C

allandwf

Would a stretched chain not bring up an engine code? or if not I assume still within tolerance?

Contigo

Sponsor
Chains do stretch and can snap , tell tale signs are them slapping the inside of the cover but there isn't such a cover on the 3200 engine like on the 4200 which runs around the front.

allandwf

Chains do stretch and can snap , tell tale signs are them slapping the inside of the cover but there isn't such a cover on the 3200 engine like on the 4200 which runs around the front.

Very common on Alfas at the moment, especially the 2.4 diseaseal. and VWs. They throw a cam warning first though. At least three R32 golfs at work off the road at the moment with stretched chains!

Gp79

I bet these long life oil services are to blame, save a few quid the first 3 years then rebuild the engine out of warranty.

BMW n47 engines (520d / 320d) are prime example.

Change the oil once a year / 10k and they "should" last!

alfatwo

The rear chains on the 3200s are premium quality old school wide roller duplex Reynolds they never break.. you might get a little wear on the pivots at a 100k!

Dave

CatmanV2

Why does not changing the oil cause chains stretch?
Eb

Stretch may be taking you down the wrong mental path, but the links will stretch a bit. What will also happen is the links will wear, allowing increased movement and thus increasing the effective length of the chain. This will be accelerated (as all metal wear) by dirty oil.

Make sense?

C

NickP

Mine's at 80k, will do the chains if I need to pull the engine for some reason or when they start to make a noise.

StuartW

Mine's at 80k, will do the chains if I need to pull the engine for some reason or when they start to make a noise.

Worth doing @ 80k if the engine does have to come out for any reason, I would say. Especially so if you have one eye on re-sale in the future, it's a good thing to have had done for a potential buyer

BuckRog64

Gents,

You may be aware of the timing chain issues with *** petrol engines in anything from Audi 4.2 V8 to Polo 1.2. Chains or tensioners have been failing from as early as 40k miles, resulting in the need for a new engine, even though according to *** they never need replacing. Aside from the emissions scandal, *** are obviously a highly reputable company and deny there are any underlying design/manufacturing/quality issues with their chains and tensioners! How do I know? Wife's 60k miles Golf started to make a brief rattle sound on stone cold start-up, which could only be heard with door open and/or bonnet up. Turns out chain was on its last legs and so engine (and car) was on its way to being written off.

Given the beast under the Maserati's bonnet is a rather highly tuned piece of Italian engineering, I personally would be inclined to follow the Manufacturer's guidelines and wonder if waiting to hear a slapping chain means some harm would already have been done to the engine?

CatmanV2

If there'd been *any* history of snapped chains, I'd be inclined to agree.

But I can't recall a single case in about 4 years on here. Of course, my memory is not what it was ;)

C

highlander

If there'd been *any* history of snapped chains, I'd be inclined to agree.

But I can't recall a single case in about 4 years on here. Of course, my memory is not what it was ;)

C
Same here, I don't recall any chains going but that is not the point, apparently what we have now with a few on here is a game of chicken with the chain at 69k.......that can only end one way IMO for some unlucky 32r.

MAF260

I've never heard of failed chains on a 3200 either. There are polarised views - replace as per recommended schedule or wait until there's a problem. I had mine done early on my old 3200 while the engine was out for other work. At around 55k miles it was a no-brainer because of the labour cost saving. I knew I would be selling the car within the year and it definitely aided the sale (at full asking price). Given the rising values of 3200s I think most buyers would want to see this job completed on cars of that mileage.

philw696

In my experience with Maserati its not the chains that fail but the plastic used on the guides and what a mess that makes resulting in a complete overhaul.

beau

i replaced the guides but not the chains on my 3200

the guides were worn and cracking, cost me £18 in total to do as i did it myself :)