Seeking 3200 manual

Whats this about timing chain at 68k? I thought 3200 requires cam belt change periodically but 4200 with timing chain doesn't require that to be replaced at all?

My car is only at 26k so a long way away, but first I've heard of this on a chain driven cam engine. Is this the same for the GS? Does a F430 require it also?

CatmanV2

Whats this about timing chain at 68k? I thought 3200 requires cam belt change periodically but 4200 with timing chain doesn't require that to be replaced at all?

My car is only at 26k so a long way away, but first I've heard of this on a chain driven cam engine. Is this the same for the GS? Does a F430 require it also?

All the chain driven engines that I know have a chain change interval specified. Most of them are ignored until the chain gets noisy (which IME is wayyyyyyyy longer than the recommended interval)

Mine was on 90+k and nary a whisper from it.

C

allandwf

I initially heard that the 3200 chains replacement figure was just plucked from mid air as they had to have some sort of replacement regime. I have never heard of one failing.

CatmanV2

I initially heard that the 3200 chains replacement figure was just plucked from mid air as they had to have some sort of replacement regime. I have never heard of one failing.

Alfa single sparks had something like 60k. Mine was at 140k when we pulled it (the engine)

C

Assetto 52

I spoke to the guys at McGrath about the chains there answer was 90k
unless as stated allready if there noisey.

highlander

probably cause a fight here but I could not disagree more with some of these comments.
McGrath advising to ignore the manaufacturer service schedule is all fine and well at the time but seriously doubt they would pay for the rebuild/replacement of a stuffed 80k engine for any owner who they told this to which blows. not so sure we should be advising to leave till it becomes noisy either since I have known of at least one engine where the chain went taking everything with it without being noisy, not a maser, but went nonetheless.
sourcing alternative or cheaper parts, using indys or doing work yourself is all fine as means to cost cutting but not following the service schedule on these cars is just playing russian roullette, you will only get away with it at the most 5 times before BANG! :)
rant over

allandwf

I know what your saying Greg, err on the side of caution, but, there has been no known issue of a 3200 chain causing a problem, and there are some high milers out there. Mcgrathes will be speaking from experience. But everyone can make there own, hopefully informed decision.

BuckRog64

I have enquired about two 3200's, both of which had their chains replaced by Giallo at the 68k miles service. There is a thread on another forum that has also debated chain replacement at 68k. My understanding is that this service also includes other work and Giallo remove the engine but some Indie's keep the powerhouse in situ.

Appreciate owners have different views on this, but I'd rather go down the preventative maintenance route and have it done (or buy a car where someone else has paid a recognised Indie's bill).

Assetto 52

As far as i know the info was taken from the Maserati service manual!
and not there views on the subject i asked the question as my car is heading towards 60k
as the car has no rattles from the chains i am quite happy.
update.
Just been looking to find any info on changing rear timing chains in the workshop manual nothing is mentioned about recommended milage
but the owners handbook revision 1 it states 110,000km to replace them.

redsonnylee

Mines done 82k & runs lovely and smooth, as soon as I hear any rattles then it's getting done. When I was looking, a nice chap told he had not had his done yet with 105k so I'm guessing it also depends on how well they have been driven.

Evo Cymru

Hi there,

Does it need to be a manual? I know of an auto AC that may be for sale that has had the chains done...

allandwf

That would be interesting, the last one that came up for sale, that Dickie sold, generated a lot of interest. Red one?

greeny12

Just an aside on the chain thing. When chatting to Emblem about it they also mentioned it gives the engine something of a new lease of life performance-wise. So there may be something other than a preventative maintenance angle to soften the cost blow...

redsonnylee

Just an aside on the chain thing. When chatting to Emblem about it they also mentioned it gives the engine something of a new lease of life performance-wise. So there may be something other than a preventative maintenance angle to soften the cost blow...

Interesting, not heard that before, would be good to hear from those that have already had theirs replaced.

urquattrogus

Is this related to the age old "timing is set out at the factory tale" that I want to, but can't quite believe.