Newbie from Edinburgh

Corranga

Hi Chris

I also have a facelift 42 manual........I put a question on the forum yesterday but not yet had any replies. Do you know how to get the leather gear gator off, I have found a leather upholsterer who says he can make me up a new one but needs the old one for a template. Also, do you have problems with 2nd gear and reverse? I hear it's a common problem on the manuals

Stu

Hi Stu, I did see your thread about the leather and thought I'd watch with interest (though I don't recall the state of mine off hand).
So far haven't managed to do anything to the Maser other than a wheel alignment, freeing off the boot lock and fitting a CTEK charge cable.

Gearbox wise, 2nd in mine is perhaps a little tighter than the other gears, but otherwise ok, and the only issue with reverse is the lack of a sensible lever to lift on the stick making it awkward (awful design!)

Chris

Vampyrebat

Hi Stu, I did see your thread about the leather and thought I'd watch with interest (though I don't recall the state of mine off hand).
So far haven't managed to do anything to the Maser other than a wheel alignment, freeing off the boot lock and fitting a CTEK charge cable.

Gearbox wise, 2nd in mine is perhaps a little tighter than the other gears, but otherwise ok, and the only issue with reverse is the lack of a sensible lever to lift on the stick making it awkward (awful design!)

Chris

Thanks for that Chris

Yeh, mine is very tight, especially from cold going down the box. And like you say the reverse lever is one of the worst ever designs. The upholsterer I showed the photo's to was very confident he could do just as good a job (if not better) as original for £30 as opposed to the quote from ES of almost £100.
I'll tell you how it turns out and if all good I can forward on his details to you if you ever need one.

Stu

Vampyrebat

Bit loathe about this, as on the diagram it *looks* like it may be screwed in but all the cars I have had previously , the gator was pretty much snapped in by a spring retaining ring around the base. This *may* be the case with yours
C
Tried it last night carefully with a flat headed screwdriver covered with tissue and it came out just like you said!!...........Thanks Mr C!!

Stu

allandwf

Thanks @allandwf - it's not the dark blue manual one but the mid blue (blu argento?) auto that's also listed on Phil's website. Whatever car I end up with, I'll definitely be using Phil to look after it.
I had a look around that one last time I was in, looks very nice.

gentlemanjordan

I had a look around that one last time I was in, looks very nice.

It seems a well sorted example @allandwf. Resisting temptation to buy now, as Stewart sent me details and photo's of his 4200 which looks very tempting. Hopefully arrange to see it soon, so I can make my decision - getting restless!

highlander

It seems a well sorted example @allandwf. Resisting temptation to buy now, as Stewart sent me details and photo's of his 4200 which looks very tempting. Hopefully arrange to see it soon, so I can make my decision - getting restless!

Needamaser's 42 would not disappoint. Recently had a full detail so looks like new.

gentlemanjordan

Well, I waited, I deliberated and have now plunged myself into the world of Maser ownership - all thanks to @needamaser, who's 4200 I collected yesterday after its annual service from PK Supercars.

Delighted (to say the least!) and looking forward to the weekend when I can take it for a proper spin.

Stewart, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you - I'll look after her :)

Needamaser

A pleasure meeting you Neil and doing business.
I really hope you enjoy her as much as I did.
As we left I was watching you in the rear view mirror wondering what had I done.
As you drove by as I pulled off I had the window open to listen as you went by!! Sounded fantastic and made me wonder again if this was a good idea!!
You forgot to mention you collected her on your birthday!!
Hope the family enjoy it as much as you. Suspect the standard boxes won't go back on. ;-)
Hope to see you again soon.

Needamaser

Nice one. Welcome.

Stewart - time for something else with a trident....

At least I still have one to play with!
Not sure what to do next.
Need a sensible daily car right now. Looking at leasing maybe.
However apart from usual suspects of QP, GT or maybe a GS I am tempted by an Aston for a change.
Spyder is a keeper though!

Andyk

Is that a Vantage....Love them and still one of the prettiest shapes on the road after all these years.

outrun

Is that a Vantage....Love them and still one of the prettiest shapes on the road after all these years.

It is indeed however the 4.2 car is not an event to drive, especially compared to the later larger engine. I came close to buying one but it just doesn't have the thrill of a Maserati.

Vampyrebat

It is indeed however the 4.2 car is not an event to drive, especially compared to the later larger engine. I came close to buying one but it just doesn't have the thrill of a Maserati.

My brother has a Vantage V8 and although I must admit the presence of it on the road beats me hands down, I can always tell he is impressed with the performance of mine (he never turns down the chance to drive it) ;-)WP_20160213_13_09_09_Pro.jpgWP_20160213_13_08_02_Pro.jpg

outrun

Yeh, they look fantastic. Beautiful things. They're just not that great to drive, S and later versions are more so but still no Maserati.

Stewart

What about Stewart's Spyder? Is it not quietly for sale? Another option perhaps.

Thanks for plug All, she is still on the market, just about to go into hibernation, had to go down A9 last week beautiful run down, nearly snow on way home.
Need we service if I can get her in then off for the winter.