2003 4200 Manual 4 sale

CatmanV2

The way I understood what Voicey told me (which may be me getting it wrong) is that when correctly set up there should be no drag on the clutch. In any event, the wear on the thrust bearing is the same :)

Interesting tale about the tangs

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
It's not exactly true that there is no benefit being in neutral at the traffic lights.

Depending on the PIS (the software holds the clutch just beyond the point of engagement as I understand it) there might be slight drag on the clutch. If the car is in gear the propshaft (torque tube if you prefer) is held still by the gear engagement, which means the clutch drag will wear the clutch a tiny amount.

In neutral the propshaft is free to turn slightly, which means any drag is taken up by the shaft being allowed to turn, preventing that tiny amount of wear. I also know that if my car idles for a long time (5 minutes or so) in neutral, the clutch engages, presumably to prevent wear to the thrust bearing. This is apparent by a change in noise from the thrust bearing - a slight rattling.

That is correct, however as stated below, if set up correctly, there should be no drag.

The way I understood what Voicey told me (which may be me getting it wrong) is that when correctly set up there should be no drag on the clutch. In any event, the wear on the thrust bearing is the same :)

C

Zep

Not having a dig, just being thorough! That it should have no drag is not in question, that it might have some drag is possible. I choose not to take the risk.

Corranga

3) It's not sequential. In fact it's exactly the same box as fitted to the manual. Just has a computer and a load of hydraulics to move for you :) No more hammering than an normal manual if you do the same thing. I certainly used to :)

In the technical sense / on paper yes. In reality, the casings etc./ are presumably different, and the actual clutch is also different (in case someone comes searching to see if they can replace a broken CC box with a manual retrofitting the hydraulics, or vice-versa.. ;)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
In the technical sense / on paper yes. In reality, the casings etc./ are presumably different, and the actual clutch is also different (in case someone comes searching to see if they can replace a broken CC box with a manual retrofitting the hydraulics, or vice-versa.. ;)

Just to complicate...I recall (not 100% sure!) the early clutches fitted to the first cars were the same between the manual and F1 cars. The clutch design was changed (single tang to dual tang?), but whether the manual car clutch also changed, I don't know.

EDIT:

http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/10343-Gransport-MC-V-Clutch/page5?highlight=dual+tang

Post 42..

CatmanV2

The part numbers for lots of the casings appear to be the same as well. Can't be *too* bothered to drill down though :)

C