QP on Copart Cat C

outrun

That looks like it was once a nice car. Easy to spend £10k fixing it properly so it would need to be £5-7k. Which it won't be. This will end up in Eastern Europe where the values are higher and the category is not listed.

conaero

Forum Owner
Good old Co Part pulling the panels back out and sticking bits back on to make it look less bad than it actually is. Look at that front wing!

Anyone want to hazard a guess what this might've sold for at auction?
Or does anyone in the trade have access to the winning bid?
Just curious about how much accident damage like this, impacts on price.
No pun intended :rofl5:

Apologies and thanks. Only saw your reply this morning. So roughly £5k paid at auction, plus the £2.5k he's quoting for repair? Nice profit, if he sells and repairs for £16.5 ish, or am I missing something?

Wack61

I think everybody is guessing , a member on here got quoted 4K to replace a cracked rear bumper on QP so I think 2.5k to fix that much damage is optimistic

Maybe so and I understand why you might say that. However, that was the top price the seller quoted me, to have it repaired in his local bodyshop. For an impeccable repair, also he said. He added that if he could he'd source the parts needed for less than the £2,000 he quoted. The £500 odd, was for the bodyshop to put the car back together.
I'm fascinated by businesses I don't have direct experience of. Which was why I was attempting to work out what the likely price from copart might've been. To get some clarity of the economics of putting insurance right offs back on the road. I am contemplating a QP or maybe a GT next year and wanting to suss out how best to buy.
All input, hugely appreciated :)

Wack61

Modern cars are hugely complicated things, an example , I've recently bought a 15 plate cat C Mercedes B class , it's done 3000 miles and fixed and running it cost me 50% of the new price.

However , mine was mechanical , it was involved in a front end shunt at 3 months old , repaired using all new Mercedes parts by a MB approved body shop, then for whatever reason in their care the engine seized so the insurance company declared it a CAT C because a new engine is 10k

I had a new engine fitted but it needed to go to Mercedes to be coded , LED lights wouldn't work because they have beam assist and the computer didn't know where they were pointing, 7 speed auto but it wouldn't select a gear because the engine had been replaced and the computer didn't know where the clutch was

£500 later Mercedes got all the sensors talking to the many computers and its all working.

I can't imagine how difficult it would have been using secondhand parts of unknown origin or condition , I'd buy a mechanical CAT car again but regardless of the story the bodyshop gives you there will be something under that battered bodywork they can't see until you've bought it and they're sucking air through their teeth