My GTS is having it's service...*gulp*

sofasurfer

So I dropped my GTS at Emblem yesterday for it's 4 year service and wasn't expecting too much to be done. Seems like I was a bit optimistic as Martin has come back with this list.
Customers list:

1. 12500 mile / 2 year service – in progress
2. Fit new N/S/R shock absorber (supplied) – in progress although Meridein have supplied the wrong lower bush, so I have ordered a correct replacement
3. Remove nitrogen from tyres – done
4. Heat seat switch intermittent – unable to fault / will continue to test
5. N/S wind noise / seal damaged – to investigate
6. Park sensors – no fault found / no errors stored / operating as expected
7. Tyres – see report below
8. Oil top up – to supply
9. Ticking noise from handbrake – see report below
10. Tinkling noise from exhaust – normal noise from exhaust / exhaust valves when cold

Emblem report:

1. Front tyres scrubbed out on inner edge – recommend replacement
2. N/S/R tyre down to 2mm / O/S/R tyre has a nail in it (repairable) – recommend 2 new rear tyres
3. Recommend 4 wheel alignment following replacement of tyres
4. Front brake pads worn low (close to warning sensor but have 4mm of friction material left)
5. Rear brake pads worn low – 1mm to sensor (5mm of friction material left)
6. Brake lining on handbrake shoes have come away / braking up – recommend replacement
7. Brake discs cross drillings blocked – require cleaning out – will do as part of service
8. Wind noise from O/S door – adjust door to improve
9. Underfloor pipe guards corroded – recommend replacement
10. Boot latch plastic cover broken
11. Waxoyl treatment – consider underbody waxoyl treatment to protect
12. Grounded out marks to underside of front bumper – normal
13. No errors stored in engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, ABS etc

Seems like I will be visiting Micheldever tyres once I get the car back then and then straight on to get the Geo done. I have noticed the occasional issue with the EBC and hoped it was just a sticking issue but looks as if the shoes will need changing. The underfloor pipe guard is a weird one to me. Is it an expensive part? I've had a look on Eurospares but without talking to Martin, I've no idea which one needs replacing.

The boot latch cover that is broken is another weird one. I've not noticed it and the boot opens fine with the key, boot button and button inside the car so I'm hoping once again it's a cheap fix.

i've checked Blackcircles but they don't seem to list the Michelin PSS tyres in my size, which seems a shame as I am tempted between those or Contis. Martin seems to think the Michelins are better which seeing as how thorough their inspections are seems to sway me towards getting those on the car.

All in all, it could be worse. No engine issues and the noise I can hear is definitely not the variators but something 'normal'. Seems Christmas might be cancelled in our household though.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have heard there are some cover panels under the car that are basically tin. They rot through in a couple of years and this sounds like what has happened. The good news they are cheap as chips (or were) and simple screw off and screw back on again.

The rest of it is up to you but it does not sound bad really so I would be quite pleased. I believe they do recommend replacing all 4 lambdas which I would not do as they are a fail and replace item. Sure if the car was 8 years old and 50k miles plus I would consider it but replacing items that are not failed is not really on...and I suspect Emblem feel the same hence whey they are not listed.

Emblem will look after you. If the tyres are scrubbing on the inner edges then yes, get the geo done, if not, and it handles well, then I would leave this till next time.

iainw

So I dropped my GTS at Emblem yesterday for it's 4 year service and wasn't expecting too much to be done. Seems like I was a bit optimistic as Martin has come back with this list.
Customers list:

1. 12500 mile / 2 year service – in progress
2. Fit new N/S/R shock absorber (supplied) – in progress although Meridein have supplied the wrong lower bush, so I have ordered a correct replacement
3. Remove nitrogen from tyres – done
4. Heat seat switch intermittent – unable to fault / will continue to test
5. N/S wind noise / seal damaged – to investigate
6. Park sensors – no fault found / no errors stored / operating as expected
7. Tyres – see report below
8. Oil top up – to supply
9. Ticking noise from handbrake – see report below
10. Tinkling noise from exhaust – normal noise from exhaust / exhaust valves when cold

Emblem report:

1. Front tyres scrubbed out on inner edge – recommend replacement
2. N/S/R tyre down to 2mm / O/S/R tyre has a nail in it (repairable) – recommend 2 new rear tyres
3. Recommend 4 wheel alignment following replacement of tyres
4. Front brake pads worn low (close to warning sensor but have 4mm of friction material left)
5. Rear brake pads worn low – 1mm to sensor (5mm of friction material left)
6. Brake lining on handbrake shoes have come away / braking up – recommend replacement
7. Brake discs cross drillings blocked – require cleaning out – will do as part of service
8. Wind noise from O/S door – adjust door to improve
9. Underfloor pipe guards corroded – recommend replacement
10. Boot latch plastic cover broken
11. Waxoyl treatment – consider underbody waxoyl treatment to protect
12. Grounded out marks to underside of front bumper – normal
13. No errors stored in engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, ABS etc

Seems like I will be visiting Micheldever tyres once I get the car back then and then straight on to get the Geo done. I have noticed the occasional issue with the EBC and hoped it was just a sticking issue but looks as if the shoes will need changing. The underfloor pipe guard is a weird one to me. Is it an expensive part? I've had a look on Eurospares but without talking to Martin, I've no idea which one needs replacing.

The boot latch cover that is broken is another weird one. I've not noticed it and the boot opens fine with the key, boot button and button inside the car so I'm hoping once again it's a cheap fix.

i've checked Blackcircles but they don't seem to list the Michelin PSS tyres in my size, which seems a shame as I am tempted between those or Contis. Martin seems to think the Michelins are better which seeing as how thorough their inspections are seems to sway me towards getting those on the car.

All in all, it could be worse. No engine issues and the noise I can hear is definitely not the variators but something 'normal'. Seems Christmas might be cancelled in out household though.

Whats the estimated total cost? and how many miles has it done?
I am around 10,000 miles from another service but it would be helpful to plan.

sofasurfer

I have heard there are some cover panels under the car that are basically tin. They rot through in a couple of years and this sounds like what has happened. The good news they are cheap as chips (or were) and simple screw off and screw back on again.

The rest of it is up to you but it does not sound bad really so I would be quite pleased. I believe they do recommend replacing all 4 lambdas which I would not do as they are a fail and replace item. Sure if the car was 8 years old and 50k miles plus I would consider it but replacing items that are not failed is not really on...and I suspect Emblem feel the same hence whey they are not listed.

Emblem will look after you. If the tyres are scrubbing on the inner edges then yes, get the geo done, if not, and it handles well, then I would leave this till next time.

Glad the parts should be cheap.....I'm not replacing the lambdas or the carbon canister this time. The lambdas can wait until they fail, and the canister can wait for it's next service.

sofasurfer

Whats the estimated total cost? and how many miles has it done?
I am around 10,000 miles from another service but it would be helpful to plan.
They haven't come back with a total cost yet...just the report but the service is £980 plus vat though. My car has done just over 23K miles.

Contigo

Sponsor
What's the issue? That list has nothing other than brakes and alignment really.

The wind noise will be the door latch (£15 part).

Catman got his aligned up in Northampton for under £100.

I'd be delighted with that list! You should have seen the 3200 one I got from Emblem!

Moz1000

As many will know, I promote Emblem Sports Cars, having had them look after my 3200 and 4200 over the last 6 years.
Martin and Myles will tell you what they think, but allow you to make your own choice as to what needs doing and what's important to you, and what can wait.
Let them price everything up, do some logical thinking (what's more economic to do now while something else is being attended to) and allow you to make an informed decision.
I've booked their Saturday morning clinic for my recently acquired GTS mid-October, and I fully expect Myles to tell me how it really is! God help me! What did I do buying this money pit?
Hopefully not - but at least you know where you are and what to expect, so you can budget for it. It's all about going into this with your eyes open!
Moz

sofasurfer

What's the issue? That list has nothing other than brakes and alignment really.

The wind noise will be the door latch (£15 part).

Catman got his aligned up in Northampton for under £100.

I'd be delighted with that list! You should have seen the 3200 one I got from Emblem!

No real issue at all...just my first Maserati service and I'm looking at the best part of £3K once you factor in the shock absorber, new tyres all around, and the actual cost of the service. Add in the geo and other sundries and it's another £300.

sofasurfer

As many will know, I promote Emblem Sports Cars, having had them look after my 3200 and 4200 over the last 6 years.
Martin and Myles will tell you what they think, but allow you to make your own choice as to what needs doing and what's important to you, and what can wait.
Let them price everything up, do some logical thinking (what's more economic to do now while something else is being attended to) and allow you to make an informed decision.
I've booked their Saturday morning clinic for my recently acquired GTS mid-October, and I fully expect Myles to tell me how it really is! God help me! What did I do buying this money pit?
Hopefully not - but at least you know where you are and what to expect, so you can budget for it. It's all about going into this with your eyes open!
Moz

They are great and know their stuff that's for sure. As you say I will do the essential items and then plan what to do next. The brake pads will need changing soonish but I'm going to go for EBC yellow stuff pads which are significantly cheaper.

Contigo

Sponsor
No real issue at all...just my first Maserati service and I'm looking at the best part of £3K once you factor in the shock absorber, new tyres all around, and the actual cost of the service. Add in the geo and other sundries and it's another £300.

That's standard annual costs for a Maser.

voicey

The covers that need replacing are shields that go over the brake pipes - they are always rotting through (on the QP too). I carry them in stock and replace them FOC during a service if needed.

To be honest the list is pretty good for a Maserati. One word of warning - get the geo done by someone who knows Maserati and knows geo. Otherwise you risk not curing your tyre wear issue (which is probably a castor issue).

CatmanV2

Looks fine. As others have said, those covers are peanuts

Tyres and brakes are a matter of choice. Geometry sounds like a sensible plan, but shouldn't be much

C

murph7355

As others have noted, just one of those times when replacements align and you get a chunky bill :) (Though the shocker going seems a bit off).

FWIW I've found Blackcircles or Oponeo more competitive than Micheldever in the last couple of years. I'd also recommend the Michelins.

Finally, I wouldn't fit EBC pads to my car. Had a poor experience with them on my Caterham, and that barely gives brakes any hammer compared to what a GT will...I'd either be OEM or Pagid (assuming these aren't OEM). I've had Pagids on three other cars and they've always been superb.

drewf

There are a lot on here running EBC pads on their cars - everyone with yellow pads at Brunty had nothing but praise, particularly the GT drivers who had run out of brakes the year before.

sofasurfer

As others have noted, just one of those times when replacements align and you get a chunky bill :) (Though the shocker going seems a bit off).

FWIW I've found Blackcircles or Oponeo more competitive than Micheldever in the last couple of years. I'd also recommend the Michelins.

Finally, I wouldn't fit EBC pads to my car. Had a poor experience with them on my Caterham, and that barely gives brakes any hammer compared to what a GT will...I'd either be OEM or Pagid (assuming these aren't OEM). I've had Pagids on three other cars and they've always been superb.
The shock is weird...shouldn't have gone so soon but seems to be a just a faulty one that has started to leak.

Seems like there is a difference of opinion on EBC pads. I think I will get some and try them out though as they are a fraction of the cost of oem pads and other GT owners swear by them. It's worth a try...right???

drewf

Outside of the track in "normal driving" are the EBC yellows still ok?
Eb

Yes, they are fine on the road. Slightly harder push than OEM required when they are cold, but they do still work from stone cold.
Awesome road pad when hot though, they take anything you can throw at them without fading. Very good value at the price, in my book.

murph7355

There are a lot on here running EBC pads on their cars - everyone with yellow pads at Brunty had nothing but praise, particularly the GT drivers who had run out of brakes the year before.
Not doubting it, honestly :) There are plenty in Caterham circles etc who rate them too.

My experience wasn't so good. Maybe had a duff set. But there are some things where I won't tread a second time in such circumstances...

YMMV as they say :)

Ryandoc

I'm just waiting on clutch and brakes all round before I start to shed real tears.

Remove nitrogen from tyres ????