Metalwork fabrication and rust repair

conaero

Forum Owner
With semi retirement looming and the need to take on new challenges I am thinking of doing car restoration. Mechanical and trims I can do, even spray painting I recon I could do but the area I have no experiance is rust repair...cutting, fabricating panels and structure, welding in then finishing to a seamless finish.

I have a welder and have played with it on bits and pieces but would no way class myself as competent.

So what's the best way to learn and what kit do I need?

I have seen loads of car programs so understand in therory how it's done.

The reason I also need to do this is I am going to have my 69 Opel dipped and there will be loads of holes.

Upholstery is another area I would like to learn too.

GeoffCapes

I know our local college does classes in bodywork repair. Which includes panel beating, welding and rust repair.

I doubt they're the only one.

Trev Latter

I think welding wise, you'd do a lot worse than get yourself a really good pro quality welder. In my experience, there's a world of difference between the diy gear like you'd find in Halfords, machine mart and the like and the pro kit. It might be worth having a look at your local college for evening classes. If it were me, I think I'd go for a TIG welding course and welder, purely for the extra versatility and experience. MIG is easy enough to pick up through experience without too much tuition, but as car panels tend to be quite thin, makes for an interesting learning curve. Always cut back to good metal and make sure anything you're about too weld is clean and shiny. NEVER weld anything galvanised/Zinc coated without removing the coating first as it gives off Cyanide gas.

Other tool wise, a Jodler is a must, as is a sheet metal folder of some description (this you could make yourself easily enough with some angle iron, plate and a few nuts and bolts, plus a bit of welding).

Sounds exciting. Good luck with it and (obviously) don't forget the photos.

conaero

Forum Owner
Trev I have a Clarke 170 mig welder which is very good but accept your thought about a pro welder.

I could work for free and get Phil at VRC to reach me I suppose and use my Opel as my tutorial?

rockits

Good luck with that Matt. I was thinking of doing a similar thing in a couple of years. Maybe see if I can get an Aston or similar apprenticeship. Would also like to get involved in car restoration etc. as well. Make sense to me. You would need a decent workshop....have you got that available or got something in mind?

conaero

Forum Owner
I currently have a 2 and a half sized garage and a sissor lift that goes to 1m so putting a car in long ways I would have more than enough room.

We re also looking to move to a house round the corner with land so I could build something wooden in the back or front garden.

I was going to get rid of the lift and get a full lift ramp but am now thinking to keep it and put a pit in below to achieve full lift as 9/10 lifting to 1m is fine and ideal for working on engines and suspension.

rockits

Sound perfect. Should be plenty enough room. I've been looking at the scissor lifts vs 2 post lift.

Does the scissor work well & you happy with it? Nice & neat when not in use.

conaero

Forum Owner
It is nice and neat yes and is great for occasional use. As it lifts to 1m it's great for working in the wheel wells.

Where it falls down against a traditional 2 or 4 post lift is that it won't lift so you can stand underneath as crouching underneath is agony.

Also it takes ages to get the car on as you have rubber blocks you have to line up. Ok most garages you can't lift to full height due to the roof.

If you couple it with a pit then that might be the best of both world but in turn you have to make sure the pit does not make the ramp unstable as safety is everything.

With this in mind it might be a good idea to sink 2 RSJ I beams in the floor, dig the pit between them and weld the lift to the RJJ's.

safrane

Matt, why not have a chat with your pal at the body shop. Offer to work as an intern for a few months to gain the extra experience and skills.

Bith a win win for the two of you.

rockits

That is my problem with the workshop in the roof height is not quite high enough for a lift. It would be easy enough to get the roof up high as would just need the roof sheet bolts undone, it all jacked up then re-fixed. Just trying to get workshop done asap.

The garage we have has a high enough roof but I would need to re-work all roof trusses/structure and it is nowhere near the workshop.

I think it is a great idea for you to learn new skills, to keep you interested & challenged. I'd love to learn more new skills & to do the things I didn't have the opportunity to do first time round.

2b1ask1

Special case
Nice idea to play with but making it pay is a world away from DIY/hobby. I've welded all my life on and off but I wouldn't say it is professional enough yet.

The intern idea is a good one, could be mutually beneficial. It would bring home the reality of how tough it would likely be.

alfatwo

Trev I have a Clarke 170 mig welder which is very good but accept your thought about a pro welder.

I could work for free and get Phil at VRC to reach me I suppose and use my Opel as my tutorial?

You really want a Tig welding kit there so much better for thin panelwork...you can buy them quite resonably now and most sellers throw in an induction course on how best to use them

Heres one I finished a few months agoIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

Dave