First Service and Geometry

MrMickS

Ghibli S is in for its first service and the front geometry is out so needs new boots on the front as the inner shoulders of the tyres are badly worn. Getting it all done at the same time after having seen the tyres.

Anyone else had geometry issues with the Ghibli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMickS

Maserati are recommending replacement of the front springs so, as its under warranty, its working out at a little longer than originally planned.

MrMickS

how do springs affect geometry? and how old is it? springs? seems a bit random.

Its about 18 months old, 13500 miles or so. They noticed excessive tyre wear on the inner shoulders of the front tyres so wanted to reset to the geometry but sent a question to Maserati about the issue. The response that came back was to replace the springs. As its still under warranty I'm more than happy for them to do whatever they want as long as I don't have to pay for it.

They don't carry the springs in stock so I'm going to have to book it back in to fix that which will probably be next week. I'll try to find out an explanation as to why they need to replace the springs.

For information its a Ghibli S with Skyhook.

Rwc13

I understand quite a few US cars have had this issue and had springs replaced. Quite a lot about this issue on theGhibliForum

bigbob

I had all 4 springs replaced on my GranTurismo at just under 5 years old.

I think it is becoming a regular thing - they have failed on my wife's Audi S3 too. Only two cars this has ever happened to with us.

CatmanV2

I had all 4 springs replaced on my GranTurismo at just under 5 years old.

I think it is becoming a regular thing - they have failed on my wife's Audi S3 too. Only two cars this has ever happened to with us.

One of my fronts had snapped.

C

highlander

is it just me that geometry going off enough to wear tyres like that from new after 13500 just does not sound right?

Ebenezer

The fact that you managed to get 13.500 miles out of the tyres and the only reason is the geometry has made them wear more quickly makes me very envious! Having had the geometry done, so with even wear, I got less than 10K out of my rear Pzeros!
Eb

MrMickS

The fact that you managed to get 13.500 miles out of the tyres and the only reason is the geometry has made them wear more quickly makes me very envious! Having had the geometry done, so with even wear, I got less than 10K out of my rear Pzeros!
Eb

Oh. That's the fronts. I just about squeezed 10k out of the rears before they had to be replaced. The fronts where fine apart from the inner band.

Service cost was £377 which was a fair bit less than quoted and much less than I expected so I'm happy with that.

Waiting for the springs to arrive before taking it back for the new fronts. Hopefully that should be next week.

adrianr

Hi Mr MickS,
I was interested to see your post and would be grateful if you could PM me the advice that you received from Maserati dealer regarding changing the springs under warranty to correct geometry problem. I have a 2yr old Ghibli with 20k miles and unevenly worn tyres. I posted a seperate thread with the geometry readings but it didn't stir too much interest. I would be interested to hear how my readings compare to yours? Please review my thread on this forum entitled "Maserati Ghibli 2014 Tracking Geometry".

MrMickS

Springs are now in stock and will be fitted, along with the geo and tyres, next week. Looking forward to driving in anger again after that.

MrMickS

So the car has been with the dealer all day. The springs are fitted but the geometry is proving a lengthy process so won't be done until the morning.

adrianr

When I drive my Ghibli over speed bumps - the nsf seems to hit the ground with a loud thump. Were these symptoms that you also noticed? Bouncing the car on level ground though doesn't give any indication of any problem. Allied to the uneven tyre wear on the front and rear tyres; plus the geometry issues that I found when replacing the rear tyres - I am now thinking I may have an issue with the front suspension and springs?

MrMickS

I didn't notice anything at all. Speed bumps haven't been an issue. It was only at the service when they noticed that the inner shoulders of the tyres were almost completely worn.

adrianr

Your thread has been really useful for me. I just phoned a Maserati dealer and told him about the uncomfortable noises from one side of my front suspension when going over speed bumps; allied to the uneven wear on the tyres; allied to the poor geometry readings when I replaced the rear tyres. He looked up my car reg at DVLA to get the chassis number and then went onto Maserati database and bingo. My Ghibli has two safety recall campaigns that haven't been done - both of which are likely to contribute to the cause of my problems!. One is relating to front suspension top joint and the other related to rear tie rod end adj bolts. Apparently a comprehensive workload requiring some 3 - 4 days. I assume that is what yours has just had done? I'll get mine booked in whilst it still has the balance of some warranty left on it! Thanks ....

MrMickS

That's great news.

Mine had the recalls done prior to me buying it. However with the geometry being out Maserati told the dealer to replace the springs. With it being under warranty it's just cost me for the pair of fronts.

All fixed now. It had to be taken around to the Bentley dealer to get the geometry sorted. I should have it back this evening.

P R

Yes the 3-4 days is required as the car needs to sit on a ramp for 3 days in order for the resin(?) to set properly.