MC Shift - Good Value ????

allandwf

Did Matt who introduced himself today not pick his up for around the same price. So about right I would say.

conaero

Forum Owner
This is a very good car. Get another £1500 and it's a steal with that mileage and new clutch. Just check the engine number is the post variator type.

Contigo

Sponsor
No don't talk them down! Mine is higher miles and was more but does have variators sorted and a new clutch.

D Walker

This is a very good car. Get another £1500 and it's a steal with that mileage and new clutch. Just check the engine number is the post variator type.

And the magic numbers are ? Provided I stay in employment (dodgy ground at moment) will probably be next year for me.....House sale agreed......pikey life ahoy!!!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Some notes I made.

A good warranty is a must imo so make sure you negotiate on anything in your favour. Clutch wear figures are a black art (mine read 49% worn but was slipping) and the proof is in the drive. Make sure you nail it in SPORT mode (MC Shift light will be lit on the DIS) and the change should be immediate and smooth much quicker than the CC box. Drive it in Manual mode and just make sure the changes are not jerky or that from setting off it isn't slipping. When mine was slipping it came up with "Gear not available" under fast changes.

Check for any oil leaks around the front of the engine too.

Listen for variator noise on start up from cold (important that they don't start the engine before you arrive so pop the bonnet immediately before starting to see if there is any residual heat there). It's obvious when the variators are shot as you will hear a loud clacking noise which will dissipate after a few seconds. They do sound lumpy on tick over anyway and idle isn't perfect on these 4.7 engines. Engine numbers 148697 and lower are affected.

Listen for creaks when pulling away maybe indicative of bushes and mounts worn.

Check discs and pads for wear as replacements are not cheap.

Also check operation of EPB as they can fail too.

Mr K

Listen for variator noise on start up from cold (important that they don't start the engine before you arrive so pop the bonnet immediately before starting to see if there is any residual heat there). It's obvious when the variators are shot as you will hear a loud clacking noise which will dissipate after a few seconds. They do sound lumpy on tick over anyway and idle isn't perfect on these 4.7 engines. Engine numbers 148697 and lower are affected.

Wouldn't just a few seconds of running prime the oilways and prevent the clatter for a while, without leaving the engine warm? I walked away from a couple of wet-sump cars back in March because I just couldn't trust the vendors. I asked one private seller not to start it before I arrived. Got there and the engine was warm - he said he'd taken it somewhere to get it washed. So the answer is a "dawn raid" - get there before they expect you, early in the morning, to ensure it hasn't been started :). Yes, I know this isn't practical.

beau

Yes it could be tricky with variators as said, someone could start the engine, let it run 5 seconds and switch off, and next start it would sound fine

I was just lucky with mine being after they sorted the issue