Ghibli revised dash controls

keith

Having seen a picture of the latest Ghibli dash with revised controls, as I suspected they are using the same climate control panel and gear selector surround from the Levente.
Whilst probably easier to use, its also a lot more ordinary looking than the rather stylish controls of the current model.
One of the reasons I switched to Maserati last year was the individual details like the way the controls for the auto modes and climate control remain 'semi' hidden till you switch on.
These cars are all about the stylish details, even if it forgoes the functionality of the Germans.
Anyone else agree, or am I being obsessive?!?!?

MrMickS

Do you have a link to a picture? I'd be interested to compare it to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMickS

Hmmm. It does make sense for them to standardise to a degree though I do see what you mean. Standard parts bin increases profitability having too many variants kills it, just ask SAAB.

Its not obvious from the picture about the CD and SD card slots. Perhaps this makes them easier to access with fat fingers like me. If it makes the mode buttons easier to hit without looking at them it will be an improvement. At the moment I still need to look to switch modes, maybe I'm switching too much and should just put it in sport and sport suspension when I start it and leave it there ;)

bigbob

Personally it would not bother me either way. The ghibli forum in the US has a post looking at the new versions of the Ghibli with the options of Sports seats etc but I would have thought they would have put the new nose on the car like the QP but they appear not to have. No increase in Ghilbi power either.

Taking a look at the Maserati UK website still tells you nothing, not even the recognition that the QP has been facelifted and that was announced about two months. Maserati is drifting.......

MrMickS

I'm surprised that they've not taken the engine from the Levante S and put that into the Ghibli S. It would seem to be a relatively simple job, unless there are differences to that make it not physically fit in the Ghibli engine bay.

I'm surprised at the lack of a new nose though. I would have expected at least a minor external facelift, it helps get those people that must have the latest to upgrade ;)

The web site updates, or lack of them, seems to match the rest of the UK FCA websites. The Alfa Romeo UK site has been equally poor in providing updates, especially around the Giulia. More information has been available either from other countries or third-party websites based on information released by Alfa Romeo themselves.

Maserati marketing in the UK seems pretty much non-existent. Perhaps I don't fit the target profile for the Maserati marketing but I haven't seen any marketing in the UK. Nothing at all. I've seen more US online marketing. I don't know how they expect to sell the number of cars they want if they don't broaden their marketing to hit people who can afford the Levante and Ghibli.

bigbob

There is also no targeting of the existing client base. You would think that someone like me who has owned three Maseratis' over the last 15 years and whose current car is now five years old would attract some sort of attention but they just seem to be after new sales these days.

Firefox

There is also no targeting of the existing client base. You would think that someone like me who has owned three Maseratis' over the last 15 years and whose current car is now five years old would attract some sort of attention but they just seem to be after new sales these days.

I agree with this statement, their business structure is extremely poor, completely out of touch with their customers. Luckily I have a very good salesman.

I have however used the info system in the Levante and switchgear and found it light years ahead of what we have been used to, very impressive and fast. Sat Nav is 3D and you can expand etc like on an iPhone. I found everything on the Levante to be good quality it really is a nice place to be, so I ordered one.

outrun

100% correct Bob. No marketing follow up at all unless it's for a recall. I've had two of those for a car I no longer own. But not one invitation to see the new Levante, grab a coffee or just a hello, here's what we're up to. Nothing.

Not that I really want it. It's more that I agree that they must do these things and that even at the most basic levels, they're useless.

None of this will stop me sticking with the brand, but it's not the diehards that they need on board.

keith

I agree with this statement, their business structure is extremely poor, completely out of touch with their customers. Luckily I have a very good salesman.

I have however used the info system in the Levante and switchgear and found it light years ahead of what we have been used to, very impressive and fast. Sat Nav is 3D and you can expand etc like on an iPhone. I found everything on the Levante to be good quality it really is a nice place to be, so I ordered one.

Hope you enjoy it. Am I right in assuming the CD/DVD Slot has been deleted. I couldn't see one in the pictures. In another photo showing the revised QP dash, the flap beneath the climate panel which at present hides the SD slot, now also incorporates the USB socket and a storage compartment for ipod/phone etc. However I couldn't see the CD/DVD slot.
Also presently subject to the devise your using through the USB, everything can remain plugged in and hidden in the centre console. Not sure if that will be possible with the new arrangement.
All just details and I am not even planning on changing my car, but I always judge brand loyalty by attention to detail. After all these days all manufacturers get the big stuff right, but can try to cut corners on the less noticeable bits. This was one of the reasons I switched to the Ghibli from twenty years with Jaguars. Maserati strong attention to little details, and quality in places where Jaguar on their latest cars seem to have cut corners.
So apart from the points just mentioned. it's good to read about your experience with the Levente.

keith

Sorry just edited my last post. It originally looked like it was typed by a ten year old!!!
Less haste in the future!!!

MrMickS

Youtube recommended this video to me (https://youtu.be/r45XkT0z9kI) so I took a look.

Seeing the controls a bit closer, and in operation, I really prefer the existing ones. I know that this means that its all aligned across the range but this is Maserati.

keith

Thanks for finding, what is a very detailed video.
By way of clarification from my previous post.
The revised dash controls clearly represent the current thinking, as you would see in any of the German rivals, and will probably be easier to use. Its just a pity they have lost the unique Maserati design flare of the present layout.
Also doubtlessly the new generation infotainment system will offer a lot more functionality of the albeit reliable and easy to use existing 'MTC'. Including I am sure full wireless functionality of your song library from your phone or music device, unlike the basic control with no displayed screen details currently provided. This brings me to the second point from before. Currently my older generation iPod touch can remain hidden and plugged in, in the compartment in the centre console. The new arrangement has moved the USB and SD card slot to a flap beneath the climate control panel where the now deleted CD/DVD player slot used to be. There is also a place provided to store your phone/device when plugged in.
However where at present the leads and device can remain hidden away, the new layout would seem to make this no longer possible. Perhaps as I hope the better Bluetooth integration will negate the need to use the USB port at all.
Finally what happened to the metal alloy gear selector surround. This looks to be replaced with a black plastic trim.
I think what I am trying to say , is all that concerned me is the dreaded 'cost cutting' that is prevalent in the industry. Where a manufacturer can see improved profit per unit by cutting corners in ways they think the customer won't notice. Something that was evident in the new range from Jaguar, which is why I switched last year. All this does is make the car and the brand look and feel cheaper, less well engineered, and smacks of desperation that the company is in financial trouble.
Would any of this stop me from buying another Ghibli, I think not, as there have after all been a lot of improvements and increased availability of tech like Adaptive Cruise Control, but for me one the appeals of the car are the little deign details, that are overlooked by its rivals.