tell me this spider is a bad idea

CatmanV2

It's a bad idea.

No seriously, looks OK, but there's something that 'smells' wrong about it

Go take a look. Might be fine

C

highlander

You will hear no negative from me, I think they are one of the best looking convertibles around. Don't know about the 2.2 though so hopefully someone who has had one can give a pointer.

beau

Needs a new timing chain, engine management light means stretched chain, very common on 2.2

Contigo

Sponsor
MX5 mk1 NA / Eunos everyday of the week over that bloated spyder. It will appreciate, give you far more thrills due to weight and handling and actually turn heads. Ignore All the clueless hairdresser comments from the uneducated on here, until you have owned or driven an MX5 in anger you really don't get how much fun they are.

CatmanV2

MX5 mk1 NA / Eunos everyday of the week over that bloated spyder. It will appreciate, give you far more thrills due to weight and handling and actually turn heads. Ignore All the clueless hairdresser comments from the uneducated on here, until you have owned or driven an MX5 in anger you really don't get how much fun they are.

Darren is at one with his image, and no longer feels the need to defend it....

C

Wack61

5 minutes googling alfa timing chain stretch has put me off looking at any more alfas so if you know of any good MX5s , i believe the shed of the week on pistonheads is still available, or was at the begining of the week

rockits

I'd have one in a shot but it would have to be a V6. Don't think I could cope with anything less.

highlander

If set on a softie and 5k your budget, you should get a high mileage cockster for that, if you choose a cared for one, the engine should be good for a quite a few more miles easily, it will handle beautifully and will be past the engine issues of low mileage examples 986/7 Porsches.

Wack61

I think phil is right , I really enjoyed both of the MK1 mx5s I had but now the prices are all over the place £1000 to £10,000 so finding a good one for sensible money isn't going to be easy, I like the boxsters but I already own one car with the potential to bankrupt me so two is out of the question

My mate is selling a boxster, £2800

is it a good one. :D

conaero

Forum Owner
It won't pull the skin off a rice pudding but it looks very stylish. If it's a lightweight cruiser your after I say buy it. They are reliable enough too.

rockits

MX5 is a very sensible option that ticks all boxes & cheap to run/reliable. Would need to be a later car with a bit more poke or a modded early car as the early MK1 1.6's are just a tad underpowered IMHO.

A Boxster is actually pretty reliable & cost effective unless you get a bad one or unlucky with RMS/IMS issues.

My 987 3.2 S was faultless. With 2 year service intervals & cheaper per 06 tax they are a sound buy really.

allandwf

Does look ok, but as said budget for chain change, as that code is for cam position sensor. A common problem.

EnzoMC

have this Alfa spider car on 2010 and is the italia version. when looking at one I was told the 2.2 is the engine to get. it sounds nice but as Matt said not fast but is a very nice cruiser.

problems so far in 2 years owning :

cooling plastic pressure screws are very weak, and break very easily. had 2 go and second time replaced all with metal screws

one of the hood motors failed but was not that expensive to fix even by Alfa dealer.

the time chain can be an issue and I raised the same concerns but as long as you service frequently then you should be ok. had our chain checked and so far all good. however only done less than 40,000

seats are very nice, boot is not bad for convertible and has surprisingly good storage inside.

my only thing is lights, get Xerox if you can, see more with candle than the standard bulbs... I've replace the standards however with highest LUM I can. one other minor thing is handling, it's not bad but seems abit floaty for me.

overall looks way way way better than mx5, sounds better, cabin is nicer place to be on long trips and it's an Alfa - what more can I say :)

have a girly I mean guy at work who loves his MX5's and said the latest is too refined and lost its drivingsoul, the model before was the better one to get if you want the newer model but the mk2 (I think) was the best one. either way nice cars but just too small.

back to the Alfa I do like S2000 and was looking at them to replace my daily drive but yep as you said about £8-10k for a good one......

get the Alfa :)