G3 clay mitt - really good

spkennyuk

Lovely, although you've not seen the car, I think the whole thing needs tar remover! :)
Anyway, when you say prime the mitt on the windscreen, what do you mean?
I was also planning on using quick detailer as lubricating spray - as I would with a clay bar. Is that not the accepted best method?

I only ever use the concentrated car shampoo mix with the mitt. Its not only the cheapest way but also has the benefit of rinsing the mitt each time you dunk it.

To prime the mitt dunk it in the super soapy water and then wash the windscreen or rear screen with it and then rinse. You can do all the glass if you want but one screen eithe front or rear is enough.

The clay mitt is coated in a synthetic clay and is sticky to touch. If its not been used before or not used for awhile then this priming helps to get the contact area level and full tackiness.

The other benefit of the clay mitt is that if you suddenly find a spot of dirt or debris on the paint that has been missed during the washing stage just use the back of the mitt to wipe off with soapy water and then carry on with the clay side.

You can use clay lube spray but as the mitt is absorbant it with also be taking some of the lubricant away so you need more of it. £8 a bottle for clay lube spray or £0.20 for a half bucket of super soapy car shampoo / water mix.

CatmanV2

I have a litre bottle of Dodo. I clayed the 4200 last year and the GT this year (starting with them wet I agreed) and I still have well over half left.

Shampoo still cheaper, clearly.

C

chad5k1

Thanks, I've got loads of car shampoo, so I'll use that and then I can always followup with the detailer and a clay bar for spots I've missed.

chad5k1

Well, I used it this weekend - it was spotting with rain, so perfect weather for washing in my book :)
The clay mitt is a revelation! Previously the car was covered in all manner of stuck on filth and now it is transformed. It was certainly quicker than washing and claying, as essentially I did both at the same time after a couple of snow foams.
I will certainly be using again. The intensive tar remover - I remember now that I never really get on with that stuff - it is just too runny and it does not go a long way, so gave up with that sharpish.
Only downside, is that I didn't have time to polish or wax - but I'll try that next time.
Thanks all!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Bought the G3 clay mitt for a go.
Didn't think my car really needed it but I was wrong!
It was amazing how the 'gritty' noise at first changes to 'silence', and then super smooth to the touch.
Used a bucket of soapy water and also detail spray at the same time.
Needs a polish and wax now.

beau

Bought the G3 clay mitt for a go.
Didn't think my car really needed it but I was wrong!
It was amazing how the 'gritty' noise at first changes to 'silence', and then super smooth to the touch.
Used a bucket of soapy water and also detail spray at the same time.
Needs a polish and wax now.
its amazing isn't it, i did a friends BMW last week, it was like i was rubbing it over 80 grit sand paper to begin with

safrane

Not sure that's correct = The swisvax guide book states that once clayed the car should not be left exposed to the elements as the pain has no protection until it is oiled and re waxed.

beau

Yes after using the clay mitt you should polish/glaze/seal/wax what ever you use

spkennyuk

Any surface to surface friction will remove some of the wax sealant or glaze you have on the vehicle. It wont remove it all but it will remove any high points you have in the finish.

If you have 2 or 3 layers of wax on then its only going to remove some of the upper most layer. If you have the time to wax after clay mitting then it is going to preserve the finish you have achieved for longer.

If you have multiple layers of sealant / wax on the car then you can afford to skip a waxing session.

As always though the more layers of wax you have the better within reason.

spkennyuk

Well that told me then :(

Not at all Matt. Your right on your car as it has multiple layers of sealant and wax. If the wax has been on for a good few months or you only put one layer on then you should really wax again after clay mitting.

If you do a bead test after clay mitting you can see the wax is still there. It just wont be as even a coat when you first applied and as a result wont shine quite as well.

Wax layers wear down over time. Clay mitting over wax will speed that process up. It certainly wont strip it all off.