Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Maserati 222 4V 'recommissioning' thread

Many thanks!
    1992 Maserati 222 4V - new project. Rhd manual, 59K miles...and lots of work to do.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 164 3.5 V6 Q4 'Savali'

Time for my next question...

Does anybody have any useful info re: timing this engine properly? Specifically, with regards to making sure the intake cams are in time with respect to the exhaust cams. I'm confident the exhaust cams are correctly set, based on the fact their pulleys use woodruff keys so only really fit on the ends of the camshafts in one position.
    However I'm not sure on the intakes. There are some marks on both intake cams - small paint dots on one side and some etched markings on the other - that line up with corresponding marks on one of the camshaft caps on each head. For now I have set the intake cams based on these marks, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing for sure that this was correct rather than trusting somebody else's work.

Can anyone chip in with some advice? I think I recall reading something about using 2 or 3 dial gauges on each cylinder head to set things up properly, but this procedure uses several factory tools that may be tricky (and expensive) to get hold of, so I'm wondering if there's some common knowledge out there.

Thanks in advance.
    1992 Maserati 222 4V - new project. Rhd manual, 59K miles...and lots of work to do.

More progress on the Maser has occurred, however I don't have any decent-quality pictures. My phone's camera got all sorts of crud inside so any pictures I took were just a blurry mess. I've cleaned it out now so I can start taking pictures again.

Recent progress includes:
    -Rear main oil seal replaced.
    -Flywheel spigot bearing replaced.
    -New clutch kit fitted, gearbox oil replaced, gearbox fitted back onto the engine.
    -Starter motor refitted
    -Valve clearance adjustment finished. What a job that was! Clearances are all improved now however. I had some shims custom made in Australia. The lengths I go to for my cars...
    -Timing belt tensioner bracket sourced from David Askew. This is now fitted along with my new hydraulic tensioner.
    -Crank pulley removed, old belt removed (very old I think - the manufacturer markings were almost invisible and the belt had significant signs of degradation). New belt installed, crank pulley refitted.
    -A/C pump and P/S pump refitted to engine.
    -New camshaft end seals fitted, and new seals fitted on front and rear cylinder head casings/covers.
    -Removed and re-tightened a brake pipe I had replaced. Bled the front brakes - the fluid that came out was so old, it separated from the new stuff in the jar it was in...it was like cloudy apple juice. No brake leaks (touch wood).
    -Started refitting a few pieces of interior trim. Probably not the best idea when I still have some welding to do, but I'm growing impatient now and really want to make some better progress.

I think that brings us neatly up to date. I'm currently waiting on a package from Maserati Spares which includes new AC, PS and alternator belts, 2 new casings for the cambelt idler bearings, and some new boots for the steering rack. I'm trying to set aside some spare cash for a water pump + gasket, a new thermostat and one or two other bits...once they've arrived, I can put the engine back in the car.

Exciting times ahead

Did I also mention that when i disassembled the thermostat housing, there was no thermostat inside?

I don't quite understand why somebody would omit one, this car must have taken a long time to warm up without one.

Keep it up.
    Peter
    06 Gransport LE - Nero Carbonio & Black
    05 4200 CC face lift - Gerigio Alfieri & Tan - Sold; Now lives in France
    03 4200 CC revised - Sebring Blue & Gray - Sold; Now regularly used as a TV car.

good heavens, what a journey.

I'd love to see this car, once complete...

I have the data for valvetiming , but you still need the dials and skills to carry this out. These engines are very sensitive when it comes to incorrect timing.: lack of power is the result. Apart from that: your doing a great job!

I recall a Wheeler Dealer episode where Ed get's in an expert to tune the engine of a lambourgini Urraco rather than do it himself...
    Eb
    Yeah i've got a Maserati, life's good. Black QPV Automatica

Quote Originally Posted by ZAM400209 View Post
    good heavens, what a journey.

I'd love to see this car, once complete...
    Thanks, I'd love to see it completed too...

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I have the data for valvetiming , but you still need the dials and skills to carry this out. These engines are very sensitive when it comes to incorrect timing.: lack of power is the result. Apart from that: your doing a great job!
    I knew that would be the case, but I was quietly hoping somebody would provide some trick to make life much easier. Oh well, no problem - I'd rather know it was done properly, rather than 'chance it' by using somebody else's previous timing marks.

I've found one or two places where I can get hold of some of the tools, they ain't cheap though! But worth it to do the job properly. I think I'll need:
    AG 25160 (Dial gauge holders)
    AG 25180 (Dial gauge extensions)
    AG 25140 (holder/extension for TDC dial guage)
    2 more dial gauges, as I only have one at the moment.

Would you mind providing your information for the valve timing at TDC please? My engine manual is based on the Quattroporte IV V6 (AM 573 and 574) so some information is slightly different to what I know is correct for my AM477 engine. The valve timing data is probably the same, but it would be helpful to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer View Post
    I recall a Wheeler Dealer episode where Ed get's in an expert to tune the engine of a lambourgini Urraco rather than do it himself...
    Eb
    Yes, I remember that too, a good episode. I would say carb tuning is a bit more of an acquired skill than what I'm doing. Perhaps I'll learn that too one day.

Great progress

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnW View Post
    -New clutch kit fitted, gearbox oil replaced, gearbox fitted back onto the engine.
    What gearbox do you have? ZF or 6 speed Getrag? Did the clutch set simply fit?

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnW View Post
    -Valve clearance adjustment finished. What a job that was! Clearances are all improved now however. I had some shims custom made in Australia. The lengths I go to for my cars...
    Can you tell more about this? Was this cheaper then getting the shims from Maserati or why?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast