dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Haydn, good to see someone putting time and money into a Bi Turbo. They're all too often not a viable resto project, I love them though, great tail-end happy driving when you've finished. You're way beyond my tech abilities but Marios or Russ at Autoshield know everything there is to know about these engines, they've been there over 30 years so know a thing or two about them having 'survived' the Bi Turbo era.

jluis

On both pictures you put, the pulleys look like they are perfectly aligned.

davy83

i also note there is a dimple in the casting at both pulleys and two small grooves in the pulley which line up nicely with the dimples, so like Jluis says they look lined up? Whats bothering you about the set up? The cylinders not being TDC at the same time probably means the instructions you have are flawed? hard to see how that could be messed up as the relationship between the pistons is determined by the crankshaft and that's definitely not adjustable.

jluis

i also note there is a dimple in the casting at both pulleys and two small grooves in the pulley which line up nicely with the dimples, so like Jluis says they look lined up? Whats bothering you about the set up? The cylinders not being TDC at the same time probably means the instructions you have are flawed? hard to see how that could be messed up as the relationship between the pistons is determined by the crankshaft and that's definitely not adjustable.

If the engine is like the 3200, which it looks like, then the relative position of the camshaft pulley can rotate in relation to the camshaft.

I would not bother too much with this unless you have engine performance issues.
On the 3200 engine manual the instructions only mention to line up tdc on cylinder 1.

jluis

Just realized I wrote something silly above.
Even if the position of the camshaft pulley changes, the relative position of both Pistons will never change as that is determined by the crank.

If I were you I would just align the camshaft pulleys and put a mark on the crankshaft pulley.

Keep in mind that it's most likely that one of the camshaft pulleys will turn when the tension of the belt is removed.
This is the case of the 3200 engine and it's perfectly normal.
Just makes it a pain to put back the belt if you don't have a helper

jluis

The 3200 doesn't have any crank pulley mark so I suspect yours will be the same.
Just put a white paint mark in the crank pulley tooth as a safety precaution.
The crank doesn't move when you are fiddling with the belt.

ZAM400209

Yes, it is mad to think that.

At the risk of hijacking this thread to become an Alfa thread, ive seen two facelift 166 in the last month- a very rare car...

Well done anyway!

philw696

Well done for taking it on.
I'm tackling a little more than I bargained for on my 77 Daimler XJC but I'm in for the long haul as it's a car I always wanted.

highlander

For varnish you want a hard varnish with uv protection, one of the better yacht varnishes should do the trick. Just treat it like paint, thin coats wet rubbed down between coats and it will come up a treat.

Phil H

You know what the strange thing is? I'm not bothered by finding this. I've lived around classic cars my whole life so far, and I generally tend to get a good or bad feeling about a car when looking over it. Until recently I always had this feeling about the Maserati; almost as though it was hiding something. But now, that feeling has gone! :)

Great thread, well done Haydn.

PH

alfatwo

And there's a guy up the road from me who has a mint Alfa 90 complete with the briefcase!

Dave

ZAM400209

Alfa-madness!

I think what you are saying, Haydn, is that having confronted the real irreparable fear of any Maserati restoration- the engine. That anything else, is rather pedestrian by comparison!

We've all seen rust, and we know what to do.

I'm with you on the 'good car' feeling though...