ZAM400209

Sorry!

STOP THE BUS

Did you say '164 Q4'???!!!

Are you serious?? I'd didn't even know there was such a car???

Can you tell us a bit about that??

Needamaser

Interesting following this thread. Thanks for sharing.
I am finding my feet in the "classic" Maserati world but have you tried David Askew for your parts?
A lot cheaper than ES if he has them in stock.

StuartW

Paying him a visit would be a good move, his place is an Aladdin's cave of parts & you'll end up going home with bits you didn't even know that you needed.
Well done on the progress so far, it's very interesting to watch - good luck

urquattrogus

Well done, you have great taste in cars, I've been reading your column in the AROC mag.

I love that 164 you have, seems pretty special!

This car looks great too, I respect you for taking it on, brave pills required! That long floorpan crack is pretty shocking!

Needamaser

Fair play to you. That is a lot of work and way beyond my skills or time to do it. Hope there is no more bad news lurking in there for you.
Really looking forward to seeing the progress.

zagatoes30

I suspect when we starting poking the QP we will find something similar but I do like the idea of rare cars so will probably persevere and lose a load of money but will have a lovely Q car for running around in.

del mar

Very impressive work !

If you get time could you put together a short "how to" on removing the engine ?

ZAM400209

good effort Haydn...

you'll be able to inspect the manifolds for cracking & holes whilst the engine is out...

del mar

Good idea, I've heard they can be susceptible to cracks. I'll be going over everything with a fine toothed comb during this project, given the cost of parts and repairs I'm not willing to make any mistakes!

My nearside one cracked - it appears to be fairly common due to the design of them, the offside one is fine. I don't think there are any nearside Ghibli ones left, Ross said he had one and Candini had one all for a small fortune - this was a couple of years ago. I bought a set from a QPIV 2.8 from a breaker and there was a crack in the same place. I ended up getting a SS pair made up for £600, still not fitted them yet..... Your engine out plan might help or I believe if you remove the subframe it allows you to drop them out if you can get the manifold bolts undone.

However I don't think there are any manifold to turbo gaskets left ....

urquattrogus

It is possible to get cast iron manifold's welded and or stitched using the correct process so that it expands and contracts much the same as the original cast iron.

A new one is ideal, but I would guess parts are sparse.

Tubular steel manifolds can be quite prone to cracking themselves on turbo cars.

ZAM400209

yeah- spill the beans, Del Mar-

are the ones you had made of equal tract length?

Because the originals aren't of course...