GT 4.2 - CatC - 85k miles

Contigo

Sponsor
There was a 50k car on one if the sales sites (can't recall which) for 26999 a few weeks back that makes this one seem pricey.

You always get the one off but as a rule looking at AT right now a 50-60k mile 4.2 GT averages about £32k. There are two Cat C cars which are cheap and rightly so.

Wack61

Ring him back and ask if it's had the variators done! :D

that's the first question anyone in the know will ask, all those over £30k should have been done , if not it's such a big job Gts and QPs that are in the vulnerable engine numbers are unsaleable IMO as the warranty doesn't cover known faults.

even this 20K car is 5k overpriced if they haven't been done

StuartW

Yes, the variators can & do go but as I understand it, they don't go on every car. We all speak about them on here but I don't see everyone having had to have them done. It's a bit like the end float on the manual 3200 - you can get lucky and never have to have remedial work done

CatmanV2

that's the first question anyone in the know will ask, all those over £30k should have been done , if not it's such a big job Gts and QPs that are in the vulnerable engine numbers are unsaleable IMO as the warranty doesn't cover known faults.

This may not be strictly true....

C

Ewan

I'd go as far to say that most (of the relevant age) QP and GT cars have not had their variators done. When chatting to Myles at Emblem about it he said that they hardly ever get asked to do them. I have happily bought such cars, and none have had their variators done, nor have they needed them doing.

safrane

Is the V issue the rather loud 'clacking' for a few seconds or the typical tappet noise you can get in older cars until the oil pressure is up?

I have heard the clip of the first sound off the forum but also read the second.

Contigo

Sponsor
Is the V issue the rather loud 'clacking' for a few seconds or the typical tappet noise you can get in older cars until the oil pressure is up?

I have heard the clip of the first sound off the forum but also read the second.

Clacking and is more of an issue on the Wet sump engines (both 4.2 and 4.7) so QP automatica (07 on) and GT/S cars. Mine had them done prior to sale as it was according to Giallo very loud.

The Dry sump engines on the 4200, GS and QP DS do suffer but I'm told that they already have the non return valve fitted due to the oil draining nature of the engine.

Wack61

This may not be strictly true....

C

warranty or unsaleable , once it becomes well known that it's an expensive potential problem it's going to make getting out of one quite difficult unless you're PXing

If I were looking at one in a private sale that hadn't been done I'd either want it doing or it'd have to be at the right money to offset the risk

It's OK saying it hasn't happened to me , it's happened to at least 3 members on here plus Richard grace has advertised a few that have been done so it's a potential problem that needs looking into.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one that hadn't been done if it was mint and at the right price but a CAT C with a potential 4K bill would need to be very cheap as you'd be stuck with it forever , not saying it's a bad place to be stuck like

StuartW

Mine was done by the previous owner (at Giallo) and also had a CEL come on looking at the paperwork I have with the car

CatmanV2

Yeah was getting an intermittent misfire and CEL

Taking so long as the engineering company take a two week holiday.......

Plus one of the new parts was faulty. And they found one of the front springs had snapped.

C