4200CC Blue '53 - likely clutch sensor failed

4200friend

Hi. Please forgive me joining your forum as I'm not a Maserati person - more Citroens and 928s. On another UK Maserati site it was suggested I post here as you folks might be more interested in a car that needs work.

I have a friend (honest) who is quite hopeless at Internet forums. For some years He has owned, and had maintained at the dear places, a

4200 Cambiocorsa 53 plate, in mediterraneo blue with leather "lighter than tan but not white", 73k miles - in Blackheath

but at the start of 2015 found it would not start. Gears select, neutral can be found but it is flashing gearbox error and we suspect clutch position sensor. He and I are both at that age where life - business, family etc - can get in the way and the car hasn't moved for 18 months.

A friend of his neighbour has suggested a price to take the car "as is", my friend is starting to appreciate he is not going to prioritise its repair. If anyone here wants the owner's details to find out more about the car with a view to making an offer then please PM or email me.

I've got involved because I think good cars deserve finding new homes, as I posted on the other site I have recently let a rare car go after twenty years' ownership to someone with more time than me.

Thanks for looking.

philw696

I thought this could have your name on it mate.
Hope its genuine like my project one as the same color.
Let me know how you get on.

maverick

Good luck Newton let's hope it's a good un and you can get another early model back on the road .

leeq61

Hope it all works out ok. I know you said you maybe fancied a change from the 4200 but you'd miss having one sat on the drive and the thrill of driving one too much.

voicey

If it's Blackheath London (SE3) then that's where I live. If my wife is home (we have a daughter) when you come to look at it then I'd be happy to pop over with the diagnostic.

2b1ask1

Special case
Well, I'll start with the reported problem, 19 months sitting outside, under a conker tree with a non-start error on it.

A massive thank you to Voicey for popping over and plugging it in, this confirmed the error as:

image.jpg

Engagement potentiometer and opposite gear engagement. This is a non-start error meaning it cannot be convinced to run without being fixed as a safety feature in case of starting in gear. So the engine could not be run or seen to be running and given the oil is over 2years old that may be a good thing anyway.

The mileage is < 80k

Voicey could get it to think it was in neutral and reverse also possibly first and second so the actuator and F1 are good also the clutch is only 13% with good degredation and a keen 4.5 PIS. That is about it on the positives other than no stored engine or suspension errors.

Leaking rocker covers both sides.

The fuse box and associated carpets have evidence of water, there are no mats, the drivers seat has side bolster rub commensurate with miles, the drivers door pocket has deep cuts by the speaker, then the outside! Best described as hail damaged; every panel, even the tops of the doors is covered in multiple dents from falling conkers!!!

It needs new tyres as they have sat under pressure for 19 months and will be ruined, all four wheels are heavily kerbed (what a shame as 7 spokes) new brake disks, pads, shoes and fluid needed. Also Nick has a replacement lower oil hose to be fitted as the existing is damaged and leaking, the under tray is off but Nick has this.

Realistically you would be into this for an unknown amount at least £2k mechanically and £5k on body for a car at £12k at the top of the market for this mileage.

So I didn't go there today; if someone wanted a pure track car, strip it out, lightweight it and not give a stuff about the golf ball surface it would be a good starter or as a mechanical donor for a hydroloced or something but otherwise it really is a scrapper I'm sorry to say.

Phil, save yourself a journey mate, there will be a better one to reascue along soon.

Last edited:

StuartW

Sorry to hear that Newton and such a shame that a car can be neglected in such a way. Just securing a £20 tarp over it could have saved so much grief, sad times