QP facelift review

bigbob

Having owned Maseratis' for a long time I am happy with that review. They are never going to be mainstream and I'm fine with that. I wish they had tested the S as that is the only one of the three on sale in the UK I would buy but it's not a personalised road test!

MrMickS

I like the review as well. It sums up the differences between the QP and its rivals. I'm glad I didn't test drive one because I'm not sure I could have resisted the V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewan

Seems about fair to me. Other than the comment about the room in the back being "adequate". In reality it's enormous, especially when compared to other cars they mention such as the Rapide and the Panamera. Indeed, about the only complaint I hear about the QP VI is that it's too big for most people.

bigbob

Seems about fair to me. Other than the comment about the room in the back being "adequate". In reality it's enormous, especially when compared to other cars they mention such as the Rapide and the Panamera. Indeed, about the only complaint I hear about the QP VI is that it's too big for most people.

Indeed. I looked at the new 7 series and it had less rear space than the QP and the rear seats would not fold down (A8 is the same FWIW).

CJC

How the rear space in a QP can be considered adequate is beyond me, everyone who has been in my car always seem to comment on how much room there is in the back amongst other things.

I thought the article was as to be expected from a mainstream magazine. If you get the QP and Maserati (Heart ruling head) nothing else will do. If not then get your spreadsheet out and set up a marking system for the features of the cars of the same size and your head will tell you what you should buy. If you're in the latter camp please do not talk to me for fear I will die of boredom.

Colin

keith

The Auto Express review is even more negative! Also the same magazine talks about a new Alfa to compete with the 5 Series.
This does not leave a very secure picture for the brand as a whole.
Quarttoporte - becoming increasingly uncompetitive.
Ghibli - competing in a couple of years with another exec car from within its own FCA group.
Grandurismo - desperate need of a major refresh to stay remotely competitive.
This leaves the Levente as the only hope
A handful of sales worldwide to owners who want something a bit different from the usual German clones, I fear won't be enough to sustain the company.
To mention another magazine- Top Gear, as many maybe aware they are running a Ghibli S on long term test.
Last months negative catch up ( I thought the article with respect even more biased nonsense than usual) made one interesting point - the Maserati brand has huge consumer appeal.
Let's hope this won't be squandered and wasted by FCA.

Andyk

How the rear space in a QP can be considered adequate is beyond me, everyone who has been in my car always seem to comment on how much room there is in the back amongst other things.

I thought the article was as to be expected from a mainstream magazine. If you get the QP and Maserati (Heart ruling head) nothing else will do. If not then get your spreadsheet out and set up a marking system for the features of the cars of the same size and your head will tell you what you should buy. If you're in the latter camp please do not talk to me for fear I will die of boredom.

Colin

Do you think the new QP is a heart decision........The old one maybe but the new...(although I do like it)......doesn't seem to flow with the same...well passion as the last two......I may be the quickest QP every made in GTS form and it looks good but you put the last shape beside it and I know which one I would take....That would be a decision from the heart.

CJC

I agree the QP VI is a bit more head biased compared to the QPV which is easier on the eye. My one is the slightly less attractive younger sister (Pippa rather than Kate Middleton). I foolishly thought a full manufacturer's warranty would be a comfort however my experience to date is that all I get is a very nice man in the dealership saying "They're all like that sir"!!!!!!!! On a fault which they said was to do with the software the answer was "Italians writing software" followed by a French style shrug of the shoulders. With any other brand I would be demanding my big slug of cash back, however you've got to love a Maserati when they can get away with that style of customer serve and we still buy them. I'm really tempted by a facelift version!

bigbob

I wonder when the Ghibli facelift will come given both cars were launched at about the same time.

They do really need to address all 3 V6 engines as they are down on power for their price points.

MrMickS

I wonder when the Ghibli facelift will come given both cars were launched at about the same time.

They do really need to address all 3 V6 engines as they are down on power for their price points.

Without a new engine I can't see them getting near the V6 in the Alfa Giulia in terms of output. The new QP S has the same V6 as the Ghibli S so I don't think they have a comparable engine yet. They could turn up the wick, as they've done in the Levante, and squeeze another 20hp out of it without impacting drivability but upping the boost to get to the 500+ mark may come with increasingly laggy performance. So I don't see a facelift getting much more power unless they decide to rebadge the Ferrari/Alfa V6. I can't see them putting the V8 in the Ghibli either, though I'd look to swap mine if they did :D

I think we'll have to wait for the post Levante cars for a refresh of the V6 and then we'll start to get more power in the saloons. Though if the V6 is producing 520hp what would they have to bump the V8 to from its current 530hp?

bigbob

Without a new engine I can't see them getting near the V6 in the Alfa Giulia in terms of output. The new QP S has the same V6 as the Ghibli S so I don't think they have a comparable engine yet. They could turn up the wick, as they've done in the Levante, and squeeze another 20hp out of it without impacting drivability but upping the boost to get to the 500+ mark may come with increasingly laggy performance. So I don't see a facelift getting much more power unless they decide to rebadge the Ferrari/Alfa V6. I can't see them putting the V8 in the Ghibli either, though I'd look to swap mine if they did :D

I think we'll have to wait for the post Levante cars for a refresh of the V6 and then we'll start to get more power in the saloons. Though if the V6 is producing 520hp what would they have to bump the V8 to from its current 530hp?

Well said. Makes no sense but I agree!