The value of having a spare wheel

safrane

I have chanced my luck on at least 30 trips around Europe without one, but for reasons I still don't know I borrowed the forum spare and boot floor from Matt on a trip to the English Lakes this year.

I was shocked by;
Its weight - even without the jack etc
Size
How much it robbed from the boot with the factory floor liner.

I can see why you would consider dropping it... but if I had one I would keep it despite the above.

But why the car was not designed with one that fits is beyond me!

conaero

Forum Owner
The problem is not a flat but a blow out or split.

You will struggle to get a tyre especially if abroad.

This is when the space saver is a must.

I take mine when abroad but not at home.

CatmanV2

The problem is not a flat but a blow out or split.

You will struggle to get a tyre especially if abroad.

This is when the space saver is a must.

I take mine when abroad but not at home.

I have never had a blow out or a split. I'm happy with those odds.

No idea why you think they don't sell tyres 'abroad'. It's hardly the third world ;)

C

conaero

Forum Owner
I have never had a blow out or a split. I'm happy with those odds.

No idea why you think they don't sell tyres 'abroad'. It's hardly the third world ;)

C

2010 and Safrane organised a French Autumn trip. Loz was in France half an hour when his tyre blew. Recovery turned up, no replacement tyres in France, recovered back home again.

Euro trip: extra pants or spare wheel...I'll take the spare wheel every time.

CatmanV2

2010 and Safrane organised a French Autumn trip. Loz was in France half an hour when his tyre blew. Recovery turned up, no replacement tyres in France, recovered back home again.

Euro trip: extra pants or spare wheel...I'll take the spare wheel every time.

Yep. Heard the story.

Heard the story of one incident in 7 years. And 'no replacement tyres in France' I simply do not believe.

But it's your car, your luggage and everything else. No harm, no foul ;)

C

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I have never carried a spare, been driving 25 years, had two punctures, one of which was in a 3200 30 miles or so from home. Got me home fine with tyre weld which was 10 years out of date and got safely to the tyre depot in the morning. I'm with Catman on this one.

safrane

Spyder Niks tyre blew on his 4200.

Also had two flats in my trio of Masers both due to nails in the rear tyre.

Wack61

It's very unusual for a tyre to blow having never had a problem previously , slow puncture ignored until the tyre gets that hot it disintegrates, I've shredded a few tyres on trailers like that as there's no feel you're losing pressure until it's too late but never on a car or van and that's in 2 million miles of driving over the last 30 years .