Biturbo clock confusion - help appreciated!

HaydnW

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so I'll provide a short introduction before I ask for help. My name is Haydn, I'm 23 years old and I've been involved with Alfa Romeos for as long as I can remember - we've had them in the family since I was a baby. I currently own 3 Alfas - A 1991 164 3.0 Cloverleaf, a 1994 164 3.5 Q4, and a 1995 145 1.6. I enjoy working on them, in fact both my 164s were bought as non-runners (projects) and I've learned a lot through fixing these cars up myself. Both my parents have Alfas too, including a couple of classics. It was only a matter of time before I moved into ownership of another Italian marque, so earlier this year I bought my next project, which is a 1992 RHD Maserati 222 4V. It's another non-runner (gulp!) but appears to be in solid condition, has only covered 56k miles and was repainted around 2012 so the paintwork is mostly very nice with a few small exceptions. I haven't started work on it just yet as I'm sorting out a couple of my Alfas so that I can sell them and release some extra funds, but you can expect to see more posts from me in the future.

So, my question: Maserati clocks. My car unfortunately came without the dashboard clock so I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement, but I'm not really sure what the correct version is as there seems to be lots of different part numbers. I do know that LHD and RHD clocks are differently angled towards the driver but aside from that I'm not sure which one I need - Cartier? Lasalle? Part numbers? So hopefully somebody on here can help!

Thanks in advance,
Haydn

Ewan

They never were made by Cartier - it's the Lasalle one you want. You'll be able to get one from David Askew (Google David Askew Maserati Parts and his site will come up). Easy.

HaydnW

Thanks for the quick reply Ewan.
I've heard good things about David Askew so I'll get in touch with him at some point. I could try McGrath too. So is there no specific version for the 222 4V? I'm sure I read somewhere that some have a backlight (when the headlights are switched on for example) and some don't. Given my lack of knowledge however I'm happy to be corrected.

I narrowly missed out on the bidding on this one the day before yesterday as I was attending a local Italian car show. I was happy to take a chance on it being the right one, but was pipped to the post as it were:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152107635293?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Ewan

You do need a backlit one, otherwise you can't see it at night. They are lit by pressing a button on the dash, but instead, I had mine wired so that it automatically came on when I turned on the car headlights.

dickyb

As suggested above try David Askew, you could also try McGrath Maserati as they often have Biturbo clocks in stock. Eurospares have just got a Ghibli in for breaking which would have something suitable.

Is that the blue car from Cornwall? I was going to have a look at that one but just couldn't find the time to make the trip. As i'm sure you know the 222 4v is a very rare car in RHD, 13 built as far as I remember & I only know of one other in the UK. As requested above, please can we have some pics? :)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I narrowly missed out on the bidding on this one the day before yesterday as I was attending a local Italian car show.

Welcome.
As you list your location as Leeds, Newby Hall on Sunday?
The majority of Maserati's at the show were SportsMaserati members.

HaydnW

I think you need to add some pictures of your 222!

Seconded!

I'll attach some pictures to the end of this post :)

You do need a backlit one, otherwise you can't see it at night. They are lit by pressing a button on the dash, but instead, I had mine wired so that it automatically came on when I turned on the car headlights.

Ah that's good to know, thank you.

As suggested above try David Askew, you could also try McGrath Maserati as they often have Biturbo clocks in stock. Eurospares have just got a Ghibli in for breaking which would have something suitable.

Is that the blue car from Cornwall? I was going to have a look at that one but just couldn't find the time to make the trip. As i'm sure you know the 222 4v is a very rare car in RHD, 13 built as far as I remember & I only know of one other in the UK. As requested above, please can we have some pics? :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I forgot about Eurospares too. I think I'll start with Mr Askew as he seems to have a very good reputation.

As for the car, yes it's the blue car from Cornwall. It was no easy trip for myself if I'm honest - 6 hours each way accompanied by my old man, with a car transporter that claimed to be a 3.5 diesel but felt like a 1.2 (even without a car on the back!). My own research suggests 13 is indeed how many RHD cars were made, and I think I'm right in saying the other UK RHD 4V is a red one? I've had a passing interest in Biturbos for a while and late last summer I decided I wanted to own one. I have a thing for 'boxy' shaped cars, not really sure why haha. I didn't originally intend to go for a 4V, mainly because I figured they would be far out of budget even if I could find one, but this one popped up for sale and as soon as I saw it I knew it was the one. I also wanted a car that was solid but needed a bit of fettling, and this car fits the bill nicely. All I need to do is get it running...how hard can that be? (Famous last words!).

David certainly has plenty of biturbo bits in stock, his email is david@davidaskew.co.uk
Good luck

Thanks very much!
Welcome.
As you list your location as Leeds, Newby Hall on Sunday?
The majority of Maserati's at the show were SportsMaserati members.

That's right, it was a good day all round with perfect weather. I spent some time looking round the Maseratis, very nice indeed. I was there with my dad in amongst the Alfas - I took my Alfa 145 while he took his Alfa Montreal.

DSC_0269[1].jpgDSC_0270[1].jpgDSC_0271[1].jpg

Ebenezer

Rather like that! - know what you mean about "boxy" well done - I hope you can get it going without too much heart (and wallet) ache
I'll follow your progress with interest
Eb

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I was there with my dad in amongst the Alfas - I took my Alfa 145 while he took his Alfa Montreal.

The Montreal was gorgeous - I've always loved them. The 222 is quite special as well.

Look forward to meeting you somewhere.

ZAM400209

Hey Haydn,

Well done- that is terrific. I'm sure it's all going to work out.

What can you tell us about the non-running..?