Workshop & Garage Project

Phil the Brit

Didn't do anything on the garage as no time today but will be doing more tomorrow. The 4th & 5th purlins are going in tomorrow. Then the vertical supports for these purlins to the main steel.

Then need to add horizontal 4x2 ties to rafters above purlins 2 & 3. Then finish all fixing ties and and some low level ties plates. Then pretty much done and can cut out all the trusses I'm removing.

Then will need to replace the garage doors for roller doors. Going to look at some lifts next week. Saw some nice Cascos lifts from Spain that look spot on.

Then need to board & insulate all walls and ceilings. Should be done be Xmas!

Hi, job is looking good so far. Just finished building my garage so I can get four cars in a two car garage. For clarity though, I did not do it myself, I got a builder in, I know my limitations!
Can you let me have a link for the lift you want please?
Thanks
Phil

rockits

I'll dig it out & send it over Phil.

Going to look at what Garage Equipment in Bricketwood/St Albans have. Also picked out the Cascos UK disty/agent to look at & also one more. I'll send over the links later.

Done a good day today on the garage. Managed to get the final two Purlins done so now 4th & 5th done. It has worked out so much better than the roof/truss design that was originally put in. Originally it had two spans of about 2300mm along the rafters. Now I have spans of about 1800mm, 1800mm and 800mm.

Still got lots to do but mostly now one handed jobs so I pop in for a couple of hours at night as well now to get through the jobs as quick as I can. Most of the two handed jobs all done now.

rockits

Phil, not sure if this helps but here you go.

The link to the Cascos site is:
http://www.cascos-lifts.co.uk/

There are some nice and endearing videos on there although a little old possibly. However I do like this nostalgic feel to their setup. I like the look of their products the best but not sure on pricing yet!
http://www.cascos-lifts.co.uk/videos.html

I guess they must have a sole UK disty operated by Hofmann Megaplan. I was e-mailed over the brochure on Friday very promptly and am due to speak to them to get some steer. They are just up the A1 west of Huntingdon so might pop up and see what they have at some point.

The second option are these guys who are even more local to me:
http://www.garageequipment.co.uk/

The third option I am looking at are these guys in Alton:
http://www.liftmasterltd.co.uk/lifts

Just found these guys who seem possible as well but not really an option for me as they are in Birkenhead:
https://www.garageequipmentonline.com/products/

I am mainly focussing on a 4 post lift for several reasons. I like the ease and one man use of the 4 post over a 2 post. I can see faffing around positioning arms on a 2 post then extending them and getting the pads right will be a constant pain. With a 4 post it is nice and easy just to drive on. I know opening a door on a 2 post will be a boon as you are constantly fighting to get out and not hit your door on the post. I have no idea if my concrete floor has steel bar re-enforcement or the point loading needed for a 2 post. A 4 post presents less of an issue. I like the flexibility of the 4 post with the optional castor kit. I can still work on wheels, brakes and suspension on the 4 post as will get one or two axle lift beams.

I think the 2 post would make more sense as gives more access generally, easier access to wheel, brake, suspension and also needs less height. I just prefer the safety of the 4 post over a 2 post also as I will be using it for permanent parking for two cars as well. My height is now abundant so height is no issue.

chippiepilot

the scissor lift is more appealing to me I have to say, no posts to get in the way and you can usually park over them. I do have an inspection pit in the garage but I need to do it up really as its a bit damp and yucky

rockits

It is not far off the same cost to buy a scissor lift as a secondary lift instead of buying 2 x jack beams for the 4 post. Don't I will go that route but it was an option I had thought of. Not sure realistically if you need 1 or 2 jack beams for a 4 post lift?

I want more than a scissor lift though as want to use the lift as car storage as well.

Wack61

I only just noticed you asked me some questions about the GW moon buggy last year

This is what they look like but it's sat in his workshop for 2 years in the untouched section , it is indoors, he bought it as scruffy with a gearbox problem and 2 flat tyres, I do recall him mentioning something about the gearbox but can't remember if he fixed it

I can ask if you're still interested, it's 2 seats side by side , it won't be a fortune but it will need work , it's in Blackburn though

img2.php.jpg

rockits

Thanks Darren. Just seen that buggy post. I'll have a look and think.

Will do an proper update on the garage project soon as have been very busy over last few weeks. Having the 4 post lift delivered & installed on 21st November.

All the steels, purlins and all new additional support timber structure are in now. I wish I had a smaller garage sometimes....it is going to be a ton of work to insulate and board it all but that is Phase 2.

Screws are a great invention but after driving well over a thousand in I'm starting to dislike the site of the little beggars! Even straps and clips I have used tons of them. Other bits of the garage will collapse before this new structure does!

Really please with the structure and so much better even then before with original trusses.

Need to rip out all existing wiring and garage door etc. before I can cut out all old trusses but getting close now.

rockits

The space above is starting to poke through & begin to reveal itself.

ebb69aaca875df2546c98de1894d44e0.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
Getting there Dean, remember doing mine last year, it is nerve wracking to cut joists out of a complete buiilding isn't it...

rockits

Getting there Dean, remember doing mine last year, it is nerve wracking to cut joists out of a complete buiilding isn't it...
Yes! Poop time indeed. Those loud cracks don't sound good when your at the top of a ladder!?

I've measured all dimensions before cutting them out & if they have moved it isn't much if at all.

rockits

Just to confirm my ladders were obviously not resting against the structure I was cutting out! I am far older in mind than my years....luckily.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Hope you did get it checked out before making the mods!
Our previous house when we built a new garage and had a couple of steel RSJ's supporting the roof from the beginning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 64

rockits

I had a structural engineer conduct an onsite survey then produce a report to work to. It is more about stopping the roof spreading apart with load more than support gravity or weight directly downwards apparently.

Are your RSJ's tied to the rafters?

JonW

What a great idea... will you be storing cars permanently in the roof space? And keeping a car underneath the lift?

rockits

What a great idea... will you be storing cars permanently in the roof space? And keeping a car underneath the lift?
Yup, plan is to keep the 4200 on top & the QP underneath. However it will be used as a service lift as well when I need it to work on any cars. I have a nice large space on the other half of the garage for a car as well. Then will extend the other side a bit as well where I have a polytunnnel at the moment to get another space so 4 spaces in total.

The old stable conversion was done first so gives me space for 2 cars in there as well. Then have 3 polytunnels so gives me 9 in total full covered, dehumidified & trickle charged. Looks like I'll need another car then as the wife's car always stays outside

D Walker

Well, 7 on your signature, with one outside makes 6, so 9 spaces means you are 3 cars short, there you go, man maths par excellence, I mean an empty space is no good to anyone is it!!

rockits

Well, 7 on your signature, with one outside makes 6, so 9 spaces means you are 3 cars short, there you go, man maths par excellence, I mean an empty space is no good to anyone is it!!
I bought a Volvo V40 as well that isn't on there & another as well that will be revealed in 3-6 months time.

I think I need a consolidation year next year. I have bought a load of ring binder & clear inserts. The plan is to scan in and make all paper documents for all cars electronic PDF's then have a nice ring binder for each car with electronic record. Will make selling anything much easier. Also shoes to any buyers you have looked after all your cars.

I will start to service & maintain any older vehicles as well so will keep all records, costs & parts used in the documentation for each car. I guess that will be my new years resolution. I'm all fun me!