Workshop & Garage Project

rockits

We are re-using as much wood/nails/materials from the building and other fencing we have taken out as we can. Good the for the environment and also my back pocket! Therefore the stud is a little different as is other parts. Seems silly to buy new wood/materials when we can re-use so much even if it does look a little strange or non-standard. It is all going to be clad/boarded and most hidden anyway so doesn't matter.

Looking forward to getting it finished and live/working as the project cars/jobs are lined up ready to go!

rockits

Haven't updated for a couple of weeks. Had a couple of weeks of not being able to do anything. However all the roof structure is all complete now. End double garage (well re-used stable doors!) hung and on with bolts all done. Couple of little bits left to tweak then ready to stud frame the lounge area. Then board the walls/ceilings then finish the floor. Hopefully will get it done by end of November so I can get the additional 12m x 6m storage tent all done next to it before the weather starts getting nasty.

rockits

Don't...last thing I need is more cars...I'm my own worst enemy ;) I'm keeping as I am for a bit one QP is in & hybrid finds its new home.

I need to focus on trying to build some houses first.

rockits

Haven't posted any updates for a while but still been beavering aware around more pressing day to day events. Just trying a push now to get all complete ready for some spring/summer use. Even in the autumn & winter it will be good and used as will be fully insulated, boarded and comfortable.

Managed to pick up some 2nd hand woodgrain double glazed windows from a reclaim yard for £190 for all 3 which was pretty good. Suit the old stable building better than white PVC and better than softwood ones. All fitted and look decent enough. Let a lot more light in than I thought they would.

guestaccess.aspx

The inside is starting to come together now as well. Had a real good measure up and ponder so am splitting about 2/3 workshop to work on cars then a separate 1/3 for a lounge/driving room. Got the first door frame & door in with the first stud wall. Needed to get the door in to give a first datum of squareness. It is hard to start somewhere square when everything seems to be anything but!

guestaccess.aspx

guestaccess.aspx

guestaccess.aspx

rockits

Luckily there is already a nice sized 3 Core SWA cable running from the central consumer unit in an out building all the way underground to the workshop.. Managed to get 16 amp MCB on that circuit to replace the old 6 amp one as it was only used for lighting before. Wired this into a separate metal garage rated 3 way consumer unit in the workshop then split lighting (6 amp) & mains currently on 10 amp breaker. Will get the central consumer unit upgraded to a 40 amp soon but need to replace a short 2.5mm link cable first with a 6mm. Then I can have a 32 amp MCB for the workshop mains. That should be enough for the workshop use I think.

I am going to hardware some SWA cables to each polytunnel to present a 2 or 4 way power strip in the polytunnel to power a small dehumidifier unit set to 55% RH. Also for a trickle charger to be used. I have tested the Maeco unit I bought in and it works a treat to maintain 55% RH in my double garage so the polytunnel should be a breeze.

Going to insulate and board the ceiling, walls and floor which is the most expensive bit. Not much spent so far other than mine and my brother in law's time. Although our time has been substantial the money spend to date is less than £500 so pretty good so far..

rockits

Someone was enjoying the ice formations yesterday. This shot was before he smashed them to pieces with a 4lb club hammer then found the sledgehammer shortly after! He was of course following H&S with basic PPE of gloves and safety glasses!!

guestaccess.aspx

Navcorr

Does the cover have venting? I ask as, but hate to admit I play the game, golf umbrellas are rather popular in Scotland. It's the venting that stops them turning into sails/kites.

brolly.jpg

rockits

Does the cover have venting? I ask as, but hate to admit I play the game, golf umbrellas are rather popular in Scotland. It's the venting that stops them turning into sails/kites.

View attachment 42092

It kind of has venting as has side windows that are netted with roll up covers. However I am not sure they would vent it enough to stop it taking off it not secured well enough. Also that would cause any issue with trying to control the humidity and temperate that the dehumidifier will do. Too much external air coming in would prevent it from being controlled easily. I think good fixings will be fine for most parts of the country that don;t have extreme weathers.

I also play the game as well ;) Not so much the last year or two but off to gold weekend in Spain in May.

StuartW

Looking good

For my Dancover, I use additional tethers with ratchet straps, secured to 75cm thick stakes and they do the job in keeping the frame in the ground. Although the cover has a couple of slight tears so it may need replacing when the next storms hits us

spkennyuk

Can you use the cars weight as an additional anchor. Bolt or weld across the floor and to both sides of the poly tunnel frame either metal rods or wooden planks that the car wheels can sit / rest on so that the whole frame would then be held down in high winds by the car.

rockits

That is a very good shout & I can't see it going anywhere with 2 tons of Merc SL sat on top. I'll have a think as to other ways as well that could use the cars weight as ballast. Boards might be a phaff to position at the right point for each car and also drive on to. Your definitely barking up the right tree though.

rockits

All this effort for a Peugeot 206??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a 306 GTi-6 and one of the best hot hatches ever made IMHO. Not many good ones left and if you drove one you would see they are great fun. I bought this last year as had been looking for one for a while but most are not great. This was a very honest car with only 72k miles from new with full very comprehensive service history. Every MOT and bill for some time. A sure fire classic. Best fun you can have for not a lot of money.

hoyin

It is a 306 GTi-6 and one of the best hot hatches ever made IMHO. Not many good ones left and if you drove one you would see they are great fun. I bought this last year as had been looking for one for a while but most are not great. This was a very honest car with only 72k miles from new with full very comprehensive service history. Every MOT and bill for some time. A sure fire classic. Best fun you can have for not a lot of money.

:)

How many cars do you have now??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spkennyuk

That is a very good shout & I can't see it going anywhere with 2 tons of Merc SL sat on top. I'll have a think as to other ways as well that could use the cars weight as ballast. Boards might be a phaff to position at the right point for each car and also drive on to. Your definitely barking up the right tree though.
Use two boards or rods per axle so that the wheels drive over the first rod / board and into the gulley before it hits the second rod / board so that you can feel the car has gone into the correct position for each car.

Easy enough to mark out/ test fit as well. Just park the car in the polly tunnel where you want it and then position the planks / rods (2 per axle) either side of the front and back wheels like chocks with a small gap either side of the car tyre contact point.