For sale: Black 3200GT project

Phil747

Morning Chaps.

Back in 2009 when I bought this beast if I asked myself the question "where will I be in 7 years time?". I would of never answered recently married and expecting my first child.

So because of this I feel its time to sell on the former love of my life. I use the word "former" just in case the my wife reads this post.

This has always been a bit of a side project for me. I do a bit when I have time. Problem for me is I only spend 4 months a year in the UK with work commitments and as I previously mentioned expecting a little bundle of joy coming on October. Because of this time is something I simply will not have. I feel its the right thing to do.

So what have we got.

Maserati 3200GT V reg with 85K on the clock currently in kit form.

Brief history on what happened. One morning whilst the car was outside on idle it developed a loud ticking noise. followed by quite a bit of steam coming from the rear left exhaust. Upon removing the sparkplugs from the right bank we discovered a small M3 sized nut in the number 5 cylinder. Obviously you can imagine what this would do. Engine was removed and sent to the guys at autoshield in Manchester. Piston, liner and head replaced. picture shows receipt for this. The engine is basically ready to go in, its had new con rod bearings, main bearings, seals and upper/lower thrust washers. They also checked both turbos for me and they checked out fine so they can be used again.

New cam belt was also fitted, However that was 4 years back. Obviously its never run however I would suggest changing that anyway.

Also it has complete new set of seals, gaskets and pipe work. Have euro spares receipt for this.

Gearbox was fine when it was removed from the car. I do have flywheel, new clutch friction disc. You will need a new thrust washer and pressure plate, I do have the old ones, and they where fine when removed from the car.

the only 2 parts i'm missing from the engine itself is the right side cam cover ( no idea where that went) and I would suggest a new exhaust, Manifold to back box section. Simple reason being is water got into is damaging the cats and sensor. One available here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASERATI-...200+GT&hash=item2c6ce31ad9:g:mmsAAMXQKAtRMIyP

As for the car. Black metallic. It does have a stone chips from 85K of driving. Small dent above driver side rear wheel arch. there is a crack on the front bumper on the air intake just below the indicator, that was my fault I hit it with a plane (long story). Keep in mind this car has been stored inside and not seen the light of day for 5 years, so its very very dusty.

Got a decent service history and I do have 2 black keys and the infamous red key.

Interior is grey leather, and its spotless inside, just needs a clean from being stored for such a long time.

As for the chassis. From driving the brakes steering was fine, no corrosion anywhere. Only thing I would point out is on the front sub frame, at the very front it will need some welding. For those of you who know the 3200 sub frame its basically 2 round steel tube sections, at the front there is a steel end cap that's welded to the frame. this end cap forms the radiator mount and the mounting point for the bumper. It naturally protrudes from under the car. When reversing up a steep incline it caught on a manhole cover bending it forward. Result of this is now the radiator is not mounted on the left side. after 5 years in storage the radiator has sagged. So I would suggest an exchanged re-cored radiator for it. As for the radiator mount that goes across the car, I have a new one and a new plastic under tray for the bumper.

I could go on for ages about each little detail. However if you have read this far without falling asleep congratulations. If you are interested your more then welcome to come visit, poke around and have a good look around.

I've included a few pictures, I don't want to spam the forum with too much however if there is something specifically that you need let me know.

I'm asking £5500 for it, but don't let that freak you out, all open to negotiations, just have to start somewhere.

Email is phil744 ( at) hotmail.co.uk or send me a PM, will give you my number then. Keep in mind I usually work nights so if I don't get back straight away don't worry.

Located just of junction 31A M6 Preston Lancashire.

Always wanted to own a maserati, and I did, many happy miles across Europe in this car, and I don't regret a single thing. One day I will have another. probably a quattroporte as I class that as being a sensible practical reliable family car. I refuse to buy an ford galaxy, rather cycle to work :)

Phil
DSCF2115.JPGDSCF2116.JPGIMG_3860.jpgIMG_3861.jpgIMG_3862.jpgIMG_3870.jpgIMG_3874.jpgIMG_3875.jpgIMG_3876.jpgIMG_3877.jpgIMG_3878.jpg

philw696

If I was in the UK i would have been up there with my trailer and be getting on with it so it will be an opportunity for someone else.

Phil747

What a shame :( I have to ask, though, HTF did an M3 nut get ingested?

C

My only guess would be the small nut that sits on the end of the turbos compressor, again a guess. 2 reasons why i suspect this. first being aluminum particles similar in thickness to the compressor blades. I found these inside the intake manifold. Second, car is 1999 model, one turbo is dated 1999 and the turbo from the right side is 2002 dated.

More then likely a blown turbo, followed by a bodge job to repair it. then quickly sold on. For the sake of spending a few hours checking and cleaning all of this could of been avoided.

So, if anyone takes this project of my hands another thing i would suggest is check the right side inter-cooler for fragments. its the only part i've never checked. was going to do that when i changed the radiator over.

2b1ask1

Special case
I would have this in a heartbeat but no insurance settlement yet... If it (doubtful) is still around in a couple of weeks.

MAF260

I would have this in a heartbeat but no insurance settlement yet... If it (doubtful) is still around in a couple of weeks.

Newton, I'm sure the owner would accept a deposit u till you receive your payout.

If not, Phil the saviour of 3200s will be along shortly....!!

stewarttownsend

This is up the road from me, looks gorgeous... no idea how much to get on the road but looks a great project to get living again..

madmanmart

In her new temporary accommodation awaiting reassembly. :)

39A14DA1-C873-4A70-A67A-727AE616B138_zps1tpldhwr.jpg

philw696

I for one love a nice project probably a good job you didn't advertise it in 2014 as it would be another expatriate down here.