Classico 4200 front grill makeover

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Having a replacement chromed Trident to fit, and inspired by a few continental Maserati owners doing similar, decided to makeover the front grill.
The chrome is oversprayed in black plastidip, so, if I change my mind it just peels off with the chrome protected underneath.
The wire mesh was black before, but de-rusted the support frame (how cheap of Maserati, shame on you), undercoated in primer and top coated in matt black.
The secondhand Trident just needed a polish, not sure what it was off, same pillar mount but with the red stripes, nice!
I like the look, goes well with the black FD wheels and blue paint, modernises it I think, and completely reversible in minutes!
:thumb1:

Attachments

• Grill 1.jpg
    Grill 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 160
  • Grill 2.jpg
    Grill 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Grill 3.jpg
    Grill 3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Grill 4.jpg
    Grill 4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Grill 5.jpg
    Grill 5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 160

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You're right it does look good, does the grille come out easily as one piece

Yes, 4 screws on the top underside, and just pull.
The bottom is located with 4 spring clips that should just release when you tug it out.

Wack61

I've got a few projects on the go at the moment, one involves moving 10 tonnes of Earth from the back garden to a skip but as soon as I'm done I may give this a go

Rick1008

I tried to plasti dip my grill. Came out ****. Had a textured finish. Will probably get it sprayed professionally.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Mike, did you use gloss or matte plasti dip for the grille surround?

Matt, but I would say it came out slightly satin.

Looks Great!............And looks just like the one Davide Cironi test drives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYa01UsZmQ

What inspired me.

I tried to plasti dip my grill. Came out ****. Had a textured finish. Will probably get it sprayed professionally.

Probably sprayed it too thick in one go.
I used a whole can, but many, many, thin coats allowing it to dry between coats, something like 20 minutes between spraying another coat again.

FIFTY

Ah bugger I ordered the regular black and they just sent me a message saying it's been dispatched :/

FIFTY

You keep empty cans? I guess part of Maserati ownership is collecting junk... I mean car parts. You must have an "understanding" partner like mine lol

They do a clear coat "glossifier" which probably does the job to make it super shiny but I want as you said a satin finish

I steered away from the matte black listing on amazon because the reviews said it was difficult to clean and absorbed dead insects...

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You keep empty cans? I guess part of Maserati ownership is collecting junk... I mean car parts. You must have an "understanding" partner like mine lol

They do a clear coat "glossifier" which probably does the job to make it super shiny but I want as you said a satin finish

I steered away from the matte black listing on amazon because the reviews said it was difficult to clean and absorbed dead insects...

I don't normally keep empty cans, I just put it on the shelf after using it in case I needed another for reference of the same!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Mike, you could take a photo of the can and save a bit of valuable space!

I can but it will have to be tomorrow night, I'm currently working away.
It's just the regular black stuff though off ebay!! You can see it in the first post of this thread.

FIFTY

Alright the can has arrived but the weather really isn't playing ball at the moment but at least it is washing the salt off the roads. Need to remove the grille clean and attempt to straighten out some of the damage on the edge... anyone lives near guildford and is good at metal work who is willing to help? There is beer money in it for you XD