4200 air filter

jasst

Just wondered if the likes of K&N, etc do an air filter for the 4200, have done a search on their site and Massa aren't even listed, any body know otherwise?

casadalloro

Bmc do an element...ive one i my car...

Call David Featherstone at demon tweeks to order...01978663042...

casadalloro

My mechanic did it and it goes straight in.... But he told me it wasnt easy to get at!! But in special mechanic words!!!!

Zep

I have a BMC, it's fairly easy to fit once the near side front wheel is off...

Mr.Cambio

I think it's BMC from FD.
As for KN, i will never use them again. Installed an induction kit to my previous car (Audi S3), and it got worse performance.

2b1ask1

Special case
I think it's BMC from FD.
As for KN, i will never use them again. Installed an induction kit to my previous car (Audi S3), and it got worse performance.

Poor design then Nikos or you may have needed a re-calibration to get it to work correctly. If you change the filter on the Mas I would direct you to do a full throttle reset proceedure.

Gp79

Are these filters really worth the money, i watched a few real world tests (Youtube!) and there is no performance gain compared to a clean standard filter, even completely removing the filter made little difference.

More induction noise though.

I also read some where that the induction system / filter / pipes etc would be designed to allow more flow than the engine could ever need at max rpm so making the filter less restrictive makes no difference apart from poorer filtering.

I'm happy to be corrected!

ChrisH

Unless you're doing it yourself the labour of removing, cleaning and re-oiling is going to offset the cost of replacing the standard element... so saving money is def in the man maths bucket... but I used to have a BMC on an Alfa GTV V6 and the induction noise was superb! And unlike exhaust mods... it only really kicks on wide open throttle so no droning etc.

That said, although only just into Maserati ownership, I would say my 4200 has pretty decent induction noise already so I can't imagine it improving much... but then maybe there is already an aftermarket filter in there which I just haven't found yet.

D Walker

Not sure I agree, still saving on replacing 5he element on every annual,
And yes, I will do myself..

FIFTY

You never know Chris it might already have one. My 4200 did as I was told after I put it in for the first service in my ownership. Interesting how the past three service invoices show a charge for a new air filter lol

hladun

First the oiled filters. MAF's don't like oil on them. Manufacturers like K&N say there's no problem but then the way they oil an air filter might not be how you do it. I'd stay away from oiled filters. If you want more power take the filter out altogether, you get a short engine life but negligibly more power.

Second, Maserati filters get wet because of where they're located. If you get some aftermarket piece of junk that falls apart when it gets wet you're asking for trouble.

Lastly, you drive a Maserati get the right part!

P.S. There were some comments on this. The Maserati induction system is flow limited at high rpm because Ferrari was never going to let the Maserati engine develop hp comparable to a F430 (like why is it 390 and not 400?). What the Maserati engine needs is a variable intake system.

Mr.Cambio

Not sure if there is additional hp with bmc (forget kn). But once i got the ecu upgrade from FD they asked me if i had any upgrades like exhaust and intake.
So, i believe that there is difference, very little but existing.