Amazon RAVPower 500A Peak Current Portable Car Jump Starter Power Bank BE QUICK

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Looks a cheap backup solution

My thought too, reviews look good.
Handy also with the USB ports and flash light for the boot of the Maser.
I have the RAVpower powerbank same capacity just with USB ports, and it lasts a long time charging ipads/phones normally on holiday.

redsonnylee

I always keep a jump pack in the boot which is very heavy for my small biceps, if this works as describes it will be a lot easy to move about.

davy83

The key is in the capacity of the battery, 12000mAh so if you could draw 500A from it (which I doubt, the leads would melt) it would only last one minute. so at normal cranking current it can turn your car over for about 6 minutes. So the key is if your car doesn't start straight away it will go flat? its not a bad idea really.

Wait up wait up,
It does look a good deal but I thought the consensus on this forum was not to use a jump startr because of potential damage to the computers etc, or am I wrong?
If there is no potential danger then I will have one
Please advise..................

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
The flash deal at £38 is over, its now £50, which is still good value for money.
I've borrowed one similar before and they do work, but that a few years ago was £150 that I couldn't justify.
When I get this I'll try it starting my V8 Stag, easy to disconnect the battery completely which is a real test just with the jump starter battery pack alone.
If it won't turn over sufficiently I'll send it back, that's the beauty of Amazon easy to return at no cost and quick refund, no arguments.
Can't see any problem using one on the Maser, jump started a few times okay, before sorting out the draining tracker issue.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Powerbank fully charged, so gave it a go tonight.
It says in the manual, only suitable as a booster and not suitable for a completely flat battery.
It defines okay if the battery is flat say due to leaving your lights on, and not enough to start.
A completely flat battery it defines as a car left unused for 2 years with a flat battery.

Well for me the ultimate test is NO BATTERY, only the powerbank itself!
So I disconnected the earth terminal from the Bosch S5 fitted to my Stag, and hooked up the powerbank to the disconnected earth lead clamp and positive terminal.
In case it did work, I also disconnected the ignition coil, for with no normal battery connected I didn't want the car to start and then the car alternator pumping a load of amps back into the powerbank alone. I might not like that.

Did it work? Amazingly it did, turning over the cold 3lt V8 just as fast as the Bosch S5!
No fizzing melting leads, no smoking plastic, quite unbelievable to be honest.
Did 4-off 5 second bursts on the starter motor in total, more than adequate to prove its worth, and the powerbank still indicated 75% capacity.

So well happy with the purchase at the price point.
:luvit:

redsonnylee

Powerbank fully charged, so gave it a go tonight.
It says in the manual, only suitable as a booster and not suitable for a completely flat battery.
It defines okay if the battery is flat say due to leaving your lights on, and not enough to start.
A completely flat battery it defines as a car left unused for 2 years with a flat battery.

Well for me the ultimate test is NO BATTERY, only the powerbank itself!
So I disconnected the earth terminal from the Bosch S5 fitted to my Stag, and hooked up the powerbank to the disconnected earth lead clamp and positive terminal.
In case it did work, I also disconnected the ignition coil, for with no normal battery connected I didn't want the car to start and then the car alternator pumping a load of amps back into the powerbank alone. I might not like that.

Did it work? Amazingly it did, turning over the cold 3lt V8 just as fast as the Bosch S5!
No fizzing melting leads, no smoking plastic, quite unbelievable to be honest.
Did 4-off 5 second bursts on the starter motor in total, more than adequate to prove its worth, and the powerbank still indicated 75% capacity.

So well happy with the purchase at the price point.
:luvit:

Thanks for the feedback, that's good enough for me to invest in one now - cheers

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Thanks for the feedback, that's good enough for me to invest in one now - cheers

I could have done the same test on the Maser but didn't want to mess finding which fuse to pull so it just turned over on the starter without actually starting.
I do find it amazing that it can delivery the amps to turn over any engine on a starter motor, let alone a V8.

Scaf

I bought one as well and it started my Ford Model T which had a flat battery - amazing really

beau

Jump starting from a power pack is fine as the voltage will remain steady and cause no issues

It's jumping from a running car that is not recommended as the power can spike from the other cars alternator

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Don't forget to register it online with RAVPower and you get 30 months guarantee.
Couldn't resist and bought this one as well, original one can live in the boot of the Stag, this one in the Maser, that came this morning.
It is a nice piece of kit, in a nice case too, you won't be disappointed.
:thumb3:

jluis

It's also an awesome power bank to charge all our phones and tablets when we are away :)
When fully charged it will charge an iPad, an iPhone and a Sony Xperia z before needing a recharge
All power hungry devices.