Los's old 4200/GS for sale?

leeq61

Why would you ever buy at Cat C??????????

I know what you mean Mark. Unfortunately, people see it as a cheap way into expensive car ownership. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in buying a Cat car, the people who do, just need to do there research and understand that it has been damaged and that it's going to be considerably more difficult to get insured and don't expect advertised values for the car when its time to move it on.

A friend of mine in work, thought a good way into Ferrari ownership would be to go down the Cat route and bought a Cat D Ferrari 360. He hadn't done his research and yes he got the car for a lot less than a good, clean car but no one would insure him and he didn't check it over correctly and it needed an awful lot of work redoing in it including some jig work. He's still got the car today but it's been sorned for the past two years in storage because he hasn't got around to fixing all the jobs that need doing on it. Sorry to blabber on, Saturday night boredom chat.

zagatoes30

Cat cars can be a cheap way into ownership but you have to know why it was Cat registered and check that the repair work was done correctly.

I had a Passat W8 that I had an accident in, insurance company Cat D it but I had it repaired, mainly by buying another W8 and transferring all the damaged parts over. It was much better post repair than it was before.

conaero

Forum Owner
As you know I have a cat D Alfa Spider which had mechanical issues only. I stand by my repair and would pass any inspection. Yes, you can get your fingers burnt but if it's been done properly I don't see the issue. Loz repaired his cars well too.

I personally wouldn't buy a super car that had been repaired but I would buy one and repair it myself.

Never had any issues with insurance neither but then again it's not a Ferrari.

You have to remember that cheap in, cheap out and it will take longer to sell.

It winds me up how lazy insurance companies have become. I look at my Alfa Spider as another one saved, it would have been stripped for parts if I hadn't rescued her.

Andyk

As above, cat cars can be a good way into ownership of a car that you may not have been able to afford. Loz did a great job on the Maserati he bought but they have to be cheap to make it work.

rossyl

There is major risk with buying a Cat car.

But that risk is rapidly reduced when you know who did the work and know the car has been around a long time since that work.

It's a well know forum car. When was the work done? 7 years ago maybe?

Yes you should most definitely take into account resale value when buying. But, if it's been maintained as since Liz had it, I would guess its in better condition then most non Cat cars.