Project 4200 anyone

MrMickS

**** it close to me too. Wonder what else needs doing on it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contigo

Sponsor
What is a gear link arm? I'm assuming it's a gearbox issue. Cables are no more ....

Steve GS

If you can't drive it how would you know if the engine is sound. £5k would've a better price for a non runner. If I was in the business of car restoring.

Corranga

Looks like it's in Edinburgh... If it was a bit cheaper... Buying a Maserati that I can't first drive is a terrible idea right...?

What is the linkage on the manuals, cables, rods?

jluis

If its the gearbox cables, custom fabrication will be needed as Maserati no longer makes them and manual 4200 in the breakers are very rare

Rex B

I think you have to buy the whole gear change assembly at around £700.

Rex B
Manual 3200

spkennyuk

Assuming its the same as another thread on here about 8 months ago and also one on ML life then custom fabrication of the cables is the only option. I think Marios said that you cant buy the gear assembly or the cables anymore.

This may even be the same car mentioned in the previous sm thread.

jluis

Assuming its the same as another thread on here about 8 months ago and also one on ML life then custom fabrication of the cables is the only option. I think Marios said that you cant buy the gear assembly or the cables anymore.

This may even be the same car mentioned in the previous sm thread.

There is one for sale on the German ebay

spkennyuk

I presume we are talking about this bit then:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switch-Ac...8242-194726-/121849544195?hash=item1c5ecc7e03

MOT history shows the car hasn't been road legal since Oct 14, and also spent almost all of 2012 and 2013 with no MOT (Feb 12 expiry, Oct 13 next pass

Also, I didn't even notice it's green (I thought it was black) ;)

Might give them a call tomorrow and go for a look as it's only 70 miles away

Yes that the part that usually goes. The cables can stretch and need adjusting but if the cables break then its replace the whole unit if you can find one or have new cables made. If its off the road anyway then i would have thought around £100 would get a set of custom cables made.

Corranga

What's the fitting process? I presume it can be done from underneath with gearbox in situ, probably with some of the centre console removed?

Corranga

So, I went to see this today, and didn't buy it. The maths in my head didn't add up vs. the potential risk of the unknowns.

If anyone on here is interested...
Car is a bit rough.
It's been sitting outside for about 18 months.
It's at an independent prestige car maintenance and repair place.
It was taken in with the broken shift cable, which was ordered, then delayed, and delayed and delayed some more. As we know, they don't make them now..

The car is rough. It has some scratches, dents mainly on the rear pax quarter, and rust spots, bottom of drivers door has a small fist sized bubbling area.
It needs tyres, and the brakes are obviously not in a great state given the time its been sitting.
Underneath, it looked ok, mainly surface rust though I'm certainly no expert on these or other cars!!
One of the primary cats is missing (the exhaust is off the car, presumably as removal is required to get to the shift actuator - so I had a look in the pipe!)
The drivers seat is worn through on the bolter, but doesn't have a hole.
The gear stick looks like it is missing a leather pad or something with the image of the gear layout on it.
I was told, but didn't confirm the pax window doesn't work, and the reversing sensors don't work. There is crazing on the rear bumper paint from an impact, might be related?
There is a broken air vent in the back.
The wheels could do with a refurb.
The interior needs a very good clean!
The car starts and runs (a 4.2 V8 with no exhaust past the manifold is NOISY!!)

The owner seems pretty genuine and a change in circumstance (and guilt for knowing it's just sitting there) has motivated him to sell.

Chris

philw696

My MY04 Project 4200 was a couple of grand cheaper than this one and in a decent condition with all its history etc so it could be a good one to do but might need a bit spending on it to get right.