Jumping ship

Massa in Perth

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum as I'm usually on the 3200/4200 forum.

I am seriously thinking of trading my manual 2000 3200GT for a Duoselect 2006 QP5 Sport GT. Reasons: Newer, timeless looks, low kms (40k) and nicer exhaust note.

Can anyone confirm whether the 20" 7 spoke alloys came as standard (as I thought) on this car? The seller (2nd owner) says they were an option (and the car doesn't have them). Is he right?

In any event can they be sourced separately and what is a guide price for a set if anyone knows?

Supplementary question...: will I be free of the dreaded CEL or is there something equally as irritating about the QP that I should know about before I jump??

Thanks in advance.

safrane

Fewer CELs for sure.

There were so many choices of wheel its hard to say what was standard...hiwever it ks likely the smaller wheel was.

There is a whole thread on Variator issues you may wish to find and digest.
This appears to be the biggest most common high expense problem with the QP
Other than that
Do it!

TridentTested

There is a whole thread on Variator issues you may wish to find and digest.
This appears to be the biggest most common high expense problem with the QP
Other than that
Do it!

An '06 QP will be before the variator issues.

I've owned my '06 QP for four years now and never seen a CEL light.

I have had an ABS light which turned out to be an intermittent loss of signal from one of the ABS sensors, fixed at the last service.

alfatwo

Massa, it all depends if want a classic that'll increase in value or just a later modern run-around..

All modern cars throw fault codes, It's the way the Can bus works, 4200's, GS's and QP's won't be any different!

Dave

craigjenkins

I believe they were standard on then sport GT
You will be lucky to find a set second hand
The 19" are quite nice though

Massa in Perth

Nearly did George.. drove a pristine CL55 Benz on the weekend... felt like a 747 taking off but my ears and eyes weren't so impressed as they were when I drove the QP afterwards.

Dave, I can't wait for another 10 years for the 3200 price to turn around and I think the QP shape is proportionally better. 4 door car are almost never money makers I agree, but you have to make a choice, and I want a car I can drive a few times a week.

Good to know Michael, thank you.

Thanks Craig. I'll try and find a new car brochure on the web, that might tell me. I want those wheels...

The car I'm looking at has had a new clutch 1000kms ago. When you ask mechanics/owners how long the clutch will last, I get the "if you know how to drive it, it will last a lot longer". What does than mean exactly?? Is it just a "be smooth and don't flog it too much" or is there more to it? And what's this about not reversing up hills?? Is that really a thing with these?

QP4Me

My 05 QP has 80,000 miles up. 3 clutches in that time, but first was changed very early on due to a faulty part.
My driving style is 80% relaxed, 10% mental and the rest sectionable.
One Airbag light on. New tyres every year, oil change as often as possible.

Massa in Perth

Jumped......

I now own two Maseratis (temporarily) and a TVR in bits. That has to be the definition of "sectionable" doesn't it?

Yarlsberg

I may soon have a set of 20" 7 spokes up for sale if I change to a different wheel on my 4.7QP. Let me know if interested?

Massa in Perth

Morning. Here's a minor issue that is already bugging me. The previous owner of my QP told me he thought the "Sport GT' badges in red on the B pillars were "too ostentatious" and painted the red black, badly, with some Humbrol... Needless to say I want to rectify this. Can someone please post a close up pic of the said badge so I can see what it is supposed to look like?

IMG_0569.jpg

I can't see the replacement item on the eurospares site ( all the other badges are there ) but I will email them on this. Does anyone know how they are fixed on?

spkennyuk

Picture of one on the link below. Looking at that its just been painted over the top of the red. With a bit of gentle persuation you may be able to strip it back to the red layer. As far as i know the are just held in place with adhesive tape. Either gentley prise off or run some thin fishing line behind the badge to remove.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121720826848

murph7355

To be fair to the previous owner...I think they look better black (if done neatly)...or leave them off altogether.

spkennyuk

Perfect, thanks! At that price I'll be fixing mine...

Try soaking it in a solution of bicarbonate of soda for a short while. It wont harm the metal but should take the paint off a layer at a time. If the red layer is damaged under the black then just let it strip it all back. Rinse in clean water to stop the reaction at any point to check progress.