Misfiring on cylinders 1,2,3 and 4

hunter.nigel

morning guys - my 4200 is in a sad state - the wife had to be recovered last night by the AA - thats a sad sight - the Maserati on an AA flat bed.

Anyway, they ran a quick diagnostic and ended up saying misfires on cylinders 1,2,3 and 4!
All in one bank I assume?

Any thoughts?

I am assuming I will need to get it recovered to a garage to be looked at, but as you guys are the 'real experts' I thought I would seek advice and feedback first

CatmanV2

If it's all on one bank (and I think it is) personally I'd maybe start at looking at the pressure on that bank's fuel rail.

C

Contigo

Sponsor
If it is indeed the same bank (doubt it as 1,2,3,4 are not on the same side) then it could we be a knackered cat. Get it looked at immediately.

CatmanV2

If it is indeed the same bank (doubt it as 1,2,3,4 are not on the same side) then it could we be a knackered cat. Get it looked at immediately.

Yes that would be bad. I was sure they were numbered sequentially when I was messing with my ignition coils

C

CatmanV2

Or an HT cabling issue or ECU issue.

There is no HT is there? It's all LT from the connectors to the coil packs, individual back to the ECU (which it could be I guess, but seems a little unlikely)

Of course, I could as ever very wrong

C

Zep

I checked the numbers on my wiring today when visiting my car at Christian Lewis (they are fitting my new AC compressor). 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the right bank (drivers side). I would suspect the fuel pump for that side and pray it isn't the cat!

hladun

Cylinder numbering can drive you crazy. Maserati (Ferrari) numbers them as, one is the front right and then 2, 3 and 4 down the right side. Five is the rear left cylinder then forward.

Front

8 1
7 2
6 3
5 4

And yes, there are two separate (not interconnected) fuel pumps for the left and right side.

It's truly amazing what you can learn if you just look at the Ricambi or Eurospares parts diagrams.

ttt0000

If you swapped the pipes between the two pumps and the misfires jumped to the other bank and its the bank in front of the driver that is misfiring (but only at increased workload) then by the looks of the diagram it would be the right fuel pump at fault?
Thanks

GeoffCapes

When my cats went it just said there was a misfire on 2 cylinders.
However, once on the Maser Diag it diagnosed that the cats had collapsed.

Get the codes read properly before spending on anything.

ttt0000

The code readings are from a Leanardo (sp) so fairly confident with the results. It's just the investigating now. Thanks though, appreciate all comments as the smallest thing could make a difference.

Contigo

Sponsor
The code readings are from a Leanardo (sp) so fairly confident with the results. It's just the investigating now. Thanks though, appreciate all comments as the smallest thing could make a difference.

The codes are generic codes and not something verbose from an SD2/3 or Maserati Diagnosi machine. I have seen some of the Leonardo stuff but it's not as good as the proper equipment. Do FTECH not have that?

Anyway, look at fuel pressure tests on each bank and then fuel pump.

Panicracing

Notice your in WB. I'm in Swindon. Darren at Bath road garage is ex Lovetts tech for Maserati. He is in Cricklade and knows his stuff.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk